title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: RE: Migrate From PC To Mac?

dBpoweramp Guru

Question RE: Migrate From PC To Mac?

Hi folks,

Been a while since I have posted here. I've fallen quite far behind to be honest.

There is a very good chance that I'm going to be moving from PC to Mac this year. My laptop is dying (after 12 years) and I have been on Windows for about 20 years now. I am quite persuaded by the new iMac 24" M1 chip package.

Anyway, I would really like to know, please:

will my FLAC files play on Mac, or do I need to 'convert' my library? I assume that Mac will read FLACs, but of course they have been created on PC - and so does the library have to be formatted for MAC? I'm starting to lose sleep over this matter!

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here . . .

Best,

Paul David Seaman (UK)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Migrate From PC To Mac?

Your flac files will play perfectly on a Mac. Nothing to worry about. ITunes on Mac wont play FLACs, but plenty of other players will. Were you using foobar2000 on windows. Maybe use foobar2000 for Mac as player.
    https://www.foobar2000.org/mac
    Last edited by garym; 07-11-2022 at 08:35 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Migrate From PC To Mac?

Hi Garym,

Many thanks mate.

Yes, I would definitely also want to use Foobar for Mac.

But I'm still rather confused over something, please:

At the moment my FLACs are on 3 external HDs (which are obviously Windows formatted). I'm guessing you can't connect a Windows external HD to an iMac because it won't be able to read/recognise it? And so how on earth does one transfer the files over?!

Much appreciated.

dBpoweramp Guru

How are your drives formatted. NTFS or FAT32? Some formatted drives can connect to either windows or Macs.

For example, macOS can read but not write to disks formatted with NTFS. Google search: mac read ntfs
    Last edited by garym; 07-12-2022 at 11:34 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Yes, I would definitely also want to use Foobar for Mac.
    I'm sure you're aware but foobar is very limited on the mac.
    The most recent post I could find confirmed that there's no component support, which for my use case would make it worthless, but YMMV.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    I'm sure you're aware but foobar is very limited on the mac.
    The most recent post I could find confirmed that there's no component support, which for my use case would make it worthless, but YMMV.
    Hi simbun,

I never heard any bad rap about Foobar before? But, like all things that are FREE, people still complain!

I only use Foobar in a very basic sense so I dare say (on a Mac) it would suffice my needs.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    How are your drives formatted. NTFS or FAT32? Some formatted drives can connect to either windows or Macs.

For example, macOS can read but not write to disks formatted with NTFS. Google search: mac read ntfs
    Hi Garym,

I just checked my Western Digital and it's NFTS.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I never heard any bad rap about Foobar before? But, like all things that are FREE, people still complain!
    I only use Foobar in a very basic sense so I dare say (on a Mac) it would suffice my needs.
    I didn't mean to imply anyone was complaining, I was just letting you know that it's not the feature rich platform it is on Windows; it's probably more akin to the Android mobile app, although I haven't found any resource that tells you directly.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    I didn't mean to imply anyone was complaining, I was just letting you know that it's not the feature rich platform it is on Windows; it's probably more akin to the Android mobile app, although I haven't found any resource that tells you directly.
    No probs, my response was not directly aimed at yourself - but rather at the mentality of many of the general public!

I don't have Foobar on my Android phone, though I do have it on my Amazon tablet (where is does not run in as sophisticated a manner as on my PC).

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Migrate From PC To Mac?

I don't know if I will have to REPURCHASE my Illustrate s/w's or not when migrating platforms? Most apps I own (eg. Cubase, Sibelius) allow the user to d/l both, or either, formats for no extra charge - which is obviously very good.

dBpoweramp Guru

You have to repurchase for Mac, but I believe you are offered a discount if you already own windows versions.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You have to repurchase for Mac, but I believe you are offered a discount if you already own windows versions.
    OK, thanks! That seems fair as I am sure this is not a $1MM enterprise for Spoon. I'm sure I bought a kinda' multi-license pack which grants me up to 5 installations? - or somethin' like that.