title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ReplayGain Utility Codec Issues

ReplayGain Utility Codec Issues

Totally new here, apologies for lack of experience. I've just purchased dbPowerAmp and I am in the process of re-ripping my CD collection. I have encountered two issues with the ReplayGain codec, no matter if I use it via right-click or BatchConvert.

1. When I select 2 CDs from a set, both in the same folder, each seems to be set to a different value of Album Gain. It makes no difference if I set the option to identify albums by being in the same folder (they are) or by Album ID. In both cases each set of tracks gets the same Album Gain value from their respective disk, but not across all tracks, as I would expect.

2. When applying ReplayGain to tracks I buy from Qobuz or HDTracks it always crashes. Is it supposed to work with purchased FLAC files?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain Utility Codec Issues

We will be looking at 1, for the next beta.

RE 2: Qobuz seems to be supply flac files with corrupted FLAC tags, we know about this and will check to update our code, or flac its self to fix.

Thank you. For what it is worth, here is a copy of the crash information signature:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: CoreConverter.exe
    Application Version: 15.1.0.2
    Application Timestamp: 53aaa8d4
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_9c2e
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18247
    Fault Module Timestamp: 521ea91c
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000c3873
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 6153
    Additional Information 1: 9c2e
    Additional Information 2: 9c2e007b11627b23a809e25e818d9f7f
    Additional Information 3: d7a8
    Additional Information 4: d7a84939ea9fca876ce284e49b798c05

Administrator

Thanks! Should I wait for the non-beta release, or is this one good to use for ripping CDs, too?

dBpoweramp Guru

It should be good for ripping.

Sorry to bug you again, but I have a fully registered version of the software. If I download the Beta, will I lose the licence, and if so, do I need to do anything to preserve it?

Administrator

Install over the top of existing without uninstalling to preserve status.

I have been using the beta version for some time. Indeed, it no longer crashes for Qobuz tracks when setting RG tags, but, unfortunately, it seems like it is not writing those tags either... I have only realised it after retagging my collection and while I was playing a playlist I noticed the volume was not levelling in JRiver MC. I checked the tracks, and it looks like none of the Qobuz tracks had the RG tags added. Many thanks for looking into it.

Administrator

The qobuz files have corrupted tags, the update fixes the issue so FLAC does not crash, however you have to convert these damaged files FLAC >> FLAC to correct the bad tags.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The qobuz files have corrupted tags, the update fixes the issue so FLAC does not crash, however you have to convert these damaged files FLAC >> FLAC to correct the bad tags.
    That explains, many thanks. Sorry for being a bit clueless, but what would I use to do FLAC >> FLAC? Is there a special codec for that, which does not modify audio? Thanks.

Administrator

FLAC is lossless, so as long as you not use any DSP effects, it is a 1:1 audio copy. With dBpoweramp, right click on Flac(s) >> Convert To and choose flac as encoder.

Than you.

This Thread is very interesting and I also would like to have ReplayGain-tags in my Qobuz-FLAC-tracks. These tracks are all high res and not really cheap! So I have a problem to convert them FLAC to FLAC. Not a bit of the sound quality should get lost. Do you think that there will be a solution in the future, which could heal the corrupted Qobuz-tags and make your ReplayGain Utillity work on this files. Thank you in advance for your answers.
    P.S.: I would like to enter BPM in the BPM-tag by the MP3tag-program. Do you think that there will be a similar problem with the corrupted Qobuz-tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael BA View Post
    This Thread is very interesting and I also would like to have ReplayGain-tags in my Qobuz-FLAC-tracks. These tracks are all high res and not really cheap! So I have a problem to convert them FLAC to FLAC. Not a bit of the sound quality should get lost. Do you think that there will be a solution in the future, which could heal the corrupted Qobuz-tags and make your ReplayGain Utillity work on this files. Thank you in advance for your answers.
    P.S.: I would like to enter BPM in the BPM-tag by the MP3tag-program. Do you think that there will be a similar problem with the corrupted Qobuz-tags.
    flac to flac conversion does NOT change the sound quality. The resulting FLAC file is bit pefect back to the original. That's why these are called LOSSLESS files. Also note that the qobuz tracks are not Hi-Res. Hi res is 24/96 or 24/192 files. Qobuz files are 16/44.1 flac files equivalent to CDs.