title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping to two seperate and different file types.

Ripping to two seperate and different file types.

Hello,
    I would rather be emailing tech support for an answer instead of searching for my answer in a forum and not finding it and then here we are.
    I used your ripper to rip my cd's to flac and store them on my western digital 2tb mybook. That went quite well with the exception of control4's composer duplicating tracks from these albums when I scan them into "my media". I think this is their problem as my mybook does not show any duplicates when I look at the flac files stored on there. So aaaanway I then tried to use your dual ripping destination to save some steps as I use flac for my c4 music and mp3 for my galaxy s4.
    For some reason when I set up my mp3 folder on my mybook and direct your ripper to rip a flac file to the flac folder and an mp3 file to the mp3 folder it breaks the album up into seperate files instead of keeping all the tracks under an album heading. It just shows up as rows arows of songs with no organization at all. I have looked this up here and found some sort of answers , I think , but do not understand the answers or why it handles songs differently for the first destination then it does for the secondary. Hopefully there is an easy solution.

Administrator

Re: Ripping to two seperate and different file types.

You would set the naming string in Multi-Encoder, on the mp3 encoder page under dynamic naming, to match your CD Ripper one, such as:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

Um huh?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hyfynut View Post
    Um huh?
    He's pointing out that the dynamic naming stream handles compilations, where the track artists differ. this is why your compilation albums are showing up as many different albums (incorrect dynamic naming string). I use the following to automatically deal with compilations, noncompilations, multidisk or not, album artist or not:

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

note that this puts all the compilation albums in a "compilations" subdirectory, with separate folders for each album (instead of artist/album directories for noncompilations.

EDIT: Also click on the red ? next to disk number field at top of "ripper" screen. This will take you to a useful help screen.
    Last edited by garym; 02-04-2014 at 07:56 PM.

I'm nit have a problem with compilations. The riper sends my flac rips to the file I chose for them without me having to do anything but point it to the right file. That's it . No dynamic etc etc. But when I want to rip to two different directories ( a flac and an mp3 ) it just stores all the mp3 songs as files instead of albums like it does automatically with my flac files. Nothing to do with compilations. My question is why doesn't dbpoweramp handle these files the same way? I'm trying to do the same exact thing with both files, just in two different files.
    And when I answered him with um huh? It means I don't understand what he's telling me to do,or look at ( and why I need to look at it since the programme handled ALL my flac files without this bother.)
    I tried following the help ? on top of the ripper but I don't understand what to with the information ...

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm nit have a problem with compilations. The riper sends my flac rips to the file I chose for them without me having to do anything but point it to the right file. That's it . No dynamic etc etc. But when I want to rip to two different directories ( a flac and an mp3 ) it just stores all the mp3 songs as files instead of albums like it does automatically with my flac files. Nothing to do with compilations. My question is why doesn't dbpoweramp handle these files the same way? I'm trying to do the same exact thing with both files, just in two different files.
    And when I answered him with um huh? It means I don't understand what he's telling me to do,or look at ( and why I need to look at it since the programme handled ALL my flac files without this bother.)
    I tried following the help ? on top of the ripper but I don't understand what to with the information ...
    I think you need to set up dynamic naming for both FLAC and mp3 ripping to get albums organized how you wish (see my suggested string earlier). And which part of information on the help screen do you have questions about?

Administrator

An album is simply a group of files stored together in one folder.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    An album is simply a group of files stored together in one folder.
    and I assume:

1. the same exact information entered in the ALBUM tag field
    2. and, if a compilation, either something entered as ALBUM ARTIST (e.g., Various Artists) *or* the COMPILATION tag field included with a value of "1"

I don't understand dynamic naming and I don't understand where to change this setting. I don't understand why I need to mess with this setting. If I rip to my flac folder your ripper stores the files on my hard drive as albums. I did not have to set this up. It was automatic.I told your riper where I wanted it to rip to and it did. No problems. Now when I want to rip to two different places, One flac and the other mp3 , it still correctly stores the flac files but just stores song after song after song , regardless of artist, in the mp3 file. If I change back to only storing flac and no mp3 versions it still works correctly. That's where I'm confused ( besides how to do the dynamic naming thing ) Why does it store my flac copies without issue but it won't automatically do the same with the mp3 copies?

OK. I finally got the Dynamic naming thing. I changed ripper back to just flac and looked at every setting. Sure enough there was the dynamic naming box with some very long "script" in it. So i copied that. I then change the ripper back to multiencode and went to the settings for each of those and pasted that string onto them both and pointed them to the right locations and viola. Problem solved. I still don't know what changes when you go from strictly flac to multiencode. Why would anyone want to make changes to the way their music was named? Shouldn't the naming be the same UNTIL someone wants to change it? anyway thanks to all who were trying to help.

Administrator

In CD Ripper there is a single location for setting the naming, but if MultiEncoder is used, then this is not used because each encoder has its own location, and normally people do not want to encode different filetypes to the exact same location.

dBpoweramp Guru

OK. I finally got the Dynamic naming thing. I changed ripper back to just flac and looked at every setting. Sure enough there was the dynamic naming box with some very long "script" in it. So i copied that. I then change the ripper back to multiencode and went to the settings for each of those and pasted that string onto them both and pointed them to the right locations and viola. Problem solved. I still don't know what changes when you go from strictly flac to multiencode. Why would anyone want to make changes to the way their music was named? Shouldn't the naming be the same UNTIL someone wants to change it? anyway thanks to all who were trying to help.
    dbpa is a powerful program with lots of ability to customize things to suit the user's needs. There is a bit of a learning curve for all the options/settings, but you'll find it very easy to use once setup up the way you want.

But with the location and the naming being two different things couldn't you default the naming to be the same regardless of how many locations one wants to use? Then if someone wants to customize something in the naming they could ( no reasons come to mind ) But the default could be to use the same naming scheme for every type of decoder in multiencoder.