title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filename Character Replacement Not Working

Exclamation Filename Character Replacement Not Working

I changed the default filename character replacement so that a : gets replaced with a *, meaning that the colon should be removed from the filename. When ripping however, this does not occur; despite having changed this colons are still replaced with semicolons just like in the default options. I double checked that my changes were kept in the menu and they were, I even tried restarting the program. Once this issue is fixed, I would also like to know why it is not possible to replace filename characters with two-character combinations. I would really like to be able to replace colons with a space and a dash, but only one replacement character is saved each time so I can't do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Filename Character Replacement Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by adam1book View Post
    I changed the default filename character replacement so that a : gets replaced with a *, meaning that the colon should be removed from the filename.
    No, because you are replacing the : (colon) character with another illegal filename character, the * (asterisk) character.

As it says in the Filename Character Replacement menu, and as can be seen in the screenshot, "A Replace With value of '*' removes 'To Replace' character from the string." Is that not what that means?

dBpoweramp Guru

As it says in the Filename Character Replacement menu, and as can be seen in the screenshot, "A Replace With value of '*' removes 'To Replace' character from the string." Is that not what that means?
    Yes, but * is an invalid filename character. That is why it isn't working. Are you using a Windows OS?

dBpoweramp Guru

... and if you look at your screenshot, I read what it says in the text:
    A Replace With value of '*' removes 'To Replace' character from the string

Sorry, I get it now. My mistake. I think that you want to remove : (colon) from the filename, not replace. Looks like a bug.

I'll try it myself and see what I get.

... Just tested in R15.3, and it worked. : (colon) was removed from the filename.

Not sure why it isn't working for you. Are you happy to use regedit?
    Last edited by mville; 08-05-2015 at 09:54 PM.

Yes, regedit is fine. It makes no sense that it's not saving the proper option with me if it works for you. Where in regedit do I need to check?

dBpoweramp Guru

In regedit, go to the following registry key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate\dBpoweramp

Then (in the right-hand window pane) double-click the registry value:
    CDRipperFileNameChrReplace

Select the value data, copy it and paste it in this thread.

Please can you confirm your Windows OS (x86 or x64) and dBpoweramp version?
    Last edited by mville; 08-05-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Here's the value data:
    "'>»<«?*:*\-/-*-|-

It looks correct if I'm interpreting the format correctly. I just ran a rip again and once again the colons are replaced with semicolons as if the registry setting has no effect.

dBpoweramp Guru

Here's the value data:
    "'>»<«?*:*\-/-*-|-

It looks correct if I'm interpreting the format correctly. I just ran a rip again and once again the colons are replaced with semicolons as if the registry setting has no effect.
    Yes, value data looks correct. In which tags do the : (colon) appear? In my test, I added a : to a Title tag.

... also, are you using Multi Encoder?

... ... also, try searching the registry for all instances of the registry value CDRipperFileNameChrReplace and check what value data is in each instance.
    Last edited by mville; 08-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.

The colon appears in the Album name tag. I am using Multi Encoder for encoding to FLAC and mp3, I was wondering if this was somehow causing the issue. I'm searching the registry now.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am using Multi Encoder for encoding to FLAC and mp3, I was wondering if this was somehow causing the issue.
    Ah. See post no. 10 here:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...ted+characters

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info though... I guess I should've looked at previous forum posts more. If anyone knows whether a fix will ever be forthcoming let me know.

dBpoweramp Guru

Well that sucks. Thanks for the info though... I guess I should've looked at previous forum posts more. If anyone knows whether a fix will ever be forthcoming let me know.
    I wouldn't use Multi Encoder at all. The limitations make it unusable for me.

However, don't be put off. I too rip my CDs to flac. Then later, when I am happy with the tags, I convert to mp3 from my flac library.

Other experienced users here do the same. It does have it's advantages.

It looks like the Batch Converter wouldn't take that much longer to use (only adds one extra step) so I guess you're right. I just started using dBpoweramp so thanks for the info on the workaround.

Also forgot to ask, but going back to the second part of my original question, there's no way to replace a colon with a space and a dash in the folder and filenames?