title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Hoe do I rip a cd with no passages...

Hoe do I rip a cd with no passages...

I have just tried to rip David Gilmore live at Gadansk, and there is a "blip" at the end of each track, whereas the original cd is one continuous soundtrack. I know, must be simple, but thought I would ask anyway!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Hoe do I rip a cd with no passages...

You need a player which can handle the metadata right (some interpret the metadata as audio data) and can replay gapless.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by saxguy View Post
    I have just tried to rip David Gilmore live at Gadansk, and there is a "blip" at the end of each track...
    In which player software do you hear the blip?

Hi... I'm using VLC media player. Okay, its not so much as a blip, but more like a millisecond gap which interrupts the flow. Is there a setting I should be utilizing to prevent this?

I looked into it further.... Dat, you are right, and mville, you were onto it too. Downloaded and tried FOOBAR, and yes, no problem. Thats a shame in a way as I have loved using VLC for years. Guess I'll have to go with the times and move on. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys, as I was thinking my "rips" were the culprit!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What audio format are you using? If you have a lossless one like FLAC or ALAC by nature there should be no gaps. AFAIK VLC should be able to handle this. If using lossy formats like mp3, then there are chances to have gaps between tracks unless the software can support gapless for those.

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    What audio format are you using? If you have a lossless one like FLAC or ALAC by nature there should be no gaps. AFAIK VLC should be able to handle this. If using lossy formats like mp3, then there are chances to have gaps between tracks unless the software can support gapless for those.
    I'm using db Poweramp CD Rip, formatting in FLAC, lossless setting.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm using db Poweramp CD Rip, formatting in FLAC, lossless setting.

foobar2000 is MUCH better as a audio player than VLC, so you're on the right track!

dBpoweramp Guru

Downloaded and tried FOOBAR, and yes, no problem. Thats a shame in a way as I have loved using VLC for years. Guess I'll have to go with the times and move on.
    In my experience, issues with VLC as an audio player keep cropping up. I guess this is due to the software development emphasis being video playback. Foobar2000 is also my personal choice for audio playback.

I've also played back successfully through my Logitec Touch to my Hi-fi amp, and this handles it perfectly. I'm glad I bought mine when I did ;-)
    Last edited by saxguy; 01-16-2021 at 12:11 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

As an aside, I should note that I do use VLC as the video player on all my windows PCs. It works great for that purpose (which is where VLC started in any case). But as noted I do not use it for audio.