title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Meta Tags problem

Meta Tags problem

I've ripped over 1,000 Cd's with no problem, first with an Apple Superdrive. That drive was having some difficulty with certain discs so I used an LG Bluray drive for a period only to find the discs were the issue. Now, after reverting back to the Apple Superdrive all CD's ripped are being stored but cannot be found by my network players that sort by Meta data. The files exist but are not accessible based upon Meta Data. I have tried to delete all the problem files and rip again, once again carefully reviewing all Meta Data but same problem.

Software OS-X 10.9.5 (not changed) and drive lists as [HL-DT-ST DVDRW GX40N].

Stumped, ideas anyone?
    Last edited by MES2; 10-10-2015 at 10:44 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Meta Tags problem

Where are your audio files stored exactly? What network players are you referring to and how do they access your audio files?

Please can you describe your system in more details?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Where are your audio files stored exactly? What network players are you referring to and how do they access your audio files?

Please can you describe your system in more details?
    Files are stored on a Seagate NAS. The players that are affected are a Cambridge Stream Magic Plus and Sonos Playbar, both of which use Meta Data in their iOS Apps. Neither can "find" the new Rips. All Rips are still stored in exactly the same place e.g. Seagate/Public/Music/Artist/Album/track info

I did see a post about Meta Data problems when upgrading to a newer version of OSX but I am still running 10.9.5 and have been all along.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MES2 View Post
    Files are stored on a Seagate NAS. The players that are affected are a Cambridge Stream Magic Plus and Sonos Playbar, both of which use Meta Data in their iOS Apps. Neither can "find" the new Rips. All Rips are still stored in exactly the same place e.g. Seagate/Public/Music/Artist/Album/track info

I did see a post about Meta Data problems when upgrading to a newer version of OSX but I am still running 10.9.5 and have been all along.
    Sounds like a network issue. Are you using any Illustrate software in this system?

I am not sure about Illustrate software. But one odd thing I just noticed in regards to the Seagate NAS. It used to display as Seagate-4XXXX but now it displays as Twonky Server at Seagate-4XXXX. Why would this change and could this be the issue? Is there a method to ensuring that dBPoweramp is encoding Meta Data correctly? I know the files are stored correctly on the NAS because I can access the on my Macbook and using a program such as file browser.

Ok, I did a reboot on the NAS. The Cambridge App is now displaying SCSS DLNA Server:Seagate-4XXXX. Seems to have rectified things on the Cambridge....Sonos still not finding the new rips
    Last edited by MES2; 10-10-2015 at 11:41 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am not sure about Illustrate software. But one odd thing I just noticed in regards to the Seagate NAS. It used to display as Seagate-4XXXX but now it displays as Twonky Server at Seagate-4XXXX. Why would this change and could this be the issue? Is there a method to ensuring that dBPoweramp is encoding Meta Data correctly? I know the files are stored correctly on the NAS because I can access the on my Macbook and using a program such as file browser.
    Ah, you DO have dBpoweramp Music Converter (this is Illustrate software). When you rip a CD have a look at the metadata. Does it look right/complete? Do the Cambridge Stream Magic Plus and Sonos Playbar see any files at all or just not new rips?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Ah, you DO have dBpoweramp Music Converter (this is Illustrate software). When you rip a CD have a look at the metadata. Does it look right/complete? Do the Cambridge Stream Magic Plus and Sonos Playbar see any files at all or just not new rips?
    Yes the Meta Data looks complete. After rebooting the Cambridge it now displays the NAS as DNLA. This now works. The Sonos still does not but I have a feeling that Sonos has to have the library updated to "look" for new music. I am going to re rip the new discs (I deleted them). The previous files seemed complete but there are so many its hard to say for sure. The discs are ripping much quicker this time around. I'm beginning to think that the Twonky v DLNA was indeed the issue. I will confirm when the rips are complete.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes the Meta Data looks complete. After rebooting the Cambridge it now displays the NAS as DNLA. This now works. The Sonos still does not but I have a feeling that Sonos has to have the library updated to "look" for new music. I am going to re rip the new discs (I deleted them). The previous files seemed complete but there are so many its hard to say for sure. The discs are ripping much quicker this time around. I'm beginning to think that the Twonky v DLNA was indeed the issue. I will confirm when the rips are complete.
    Is the following correct?:

1. dBpoweramp Music Converter is installed on a MacBook. CDs are ripped on the MacBook and stored on a Seagate NAS.

2. The Seagate NAS is running Twonky media server (your UPnP/DLNA server) and Twonky is configured to point at your audio library files on the Seagate NAS. The Seagate NAS also has it's own built-in SCSS DLNA Server, which also accesses your audio library.

3. The Cambridge Stream Magic Plus and Sonos Playbar clients are connecting to the Twonky media server and the SCSS DLNA Server.
    Last edited by mville; 10-10-2015 at 12:12 PM. Reason: added reference to the SCSS DLNA Server

Are you using Music Converter or CD Ripper?

Regarding the Sonos you definitely have to initiate a Music Library Update so it will index any new files that have been added.

Administrator

Which audio format are you ripping to?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi MES2. As you're working through your issues here, I think it's worth stepping back and clarifying a couple basic concepts/points:

(1) Every player must read or index a music library before it'll "see" new music or changes made to existing content. Different players may have different approaches to this process, some constantly monitoring for changes, some updating on a schedule (except when manually initiated), etc., but the point is that the player must re-scan before changes will be reflected in the user interface. The Sonos system must do a full library update....something that's scheduled to run once a day by default. If you forget to force an update after changes and you're looking for new music, you can think something's wrong or the music's missing, when in fact, Sonos just hasn't re-scanned yet.

(2) Every player accesses and navigates a music library via the metadata embedded in the individual audio files (i.e., it's not something unique or specific to your players' iOS apps). Metadata is simply information about the the file that's embedded in the file....just a bunch of labels, really, for things like "Artist," "Album," and so on. We add these to the raw audio data to make the file usable to our players. You asked earlier if there is a method to ensure that dBp is "encoding metadata correctly." The answer...sadly...is no. :( Metadata isn't contained in the CDs you rip, rather it's obtained from online databases that have plenty of errors and omissions. It's up to the user to ensure the accuracy, thoroughness, and consistency of the metadata in their files.

(3) You never have to re-rip a file or CD just to fix metadata errors. Again, these are just data labels inserted into the audio files, and fortunately, they are very easily edited without damaging or altering the audio portion of the file in any way. In OSX systems, probably the easiest (free) way to edit metadata is with iTunes. (If you're not interested in using iTunes otherwise, you want to make sure to turn off the options for letting it organize your music.)
    Note also: in both Windows and OSX systems, "deleted" files aren't really gone. They're in the Trash or Recycle Bin and can easily be recovered, so usually no need to re-rip even then.

In your posts, you mentioned a bunch of re-ripping and expressed a little confusion about metadata. So I thought it might be helpful to briefly review that stuff as you proceed.

Thanks for all the help. I decided to return the Sonos. Believe it or not the wife did not like the sound quality without the sub

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for all the help. I decided to return the Sonos. Believe it or not the wife did not like the sound quality without the sub
    Oh, I believe it. I've been using a variety of Sonos devices for many years, and the only one that I ever tried and returned was the PlayBar (which happens to be their most expensive player). I'm still not sure what market segment they are attempting to capture with that thing, but it kind of "misses" on everything it's supposed to do....just not especially good at anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Oh, I believe it. I've been using a variety of Sonos devices for many years, and the only one that I ever tried and returned was the PlayBar (which happens to be their most expensive player). I'm still not sure what market segment they are attempting to capture with that thing, but it kind of "misses" on everything it's supposed to do....just not especially good at anything.
    Well, I can tell you that my wife (bless her) normally does not care about picture or sound quality but she certainly noticed the backwards step we took moving to the PlayBar. Couple that with the more difficult set up vs the Cambridge and back it went. To be fair it sounded ok streaming 44/16 and with Bluray but was very poor with the TV feeds.