title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Flac compression level 5

Flac compression level 5

Why is flac level 5 recommended when level 8 make the file more smaller?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Flac compression level 5

Quote Originally Posted by Hosoo View Post
    Why is flac level 5 recommended when level 8 make the file more smaller?
    It sounds even better. No, just joking...

Level 8 produces more CPU load with only a very small advantage of file size.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    It sounds even better. No, just joking...

Level 8 produces more CPU load with only a very small advantage of file size.

Dat Ei
    more load when creating. But Essentially the same when DECODING. Also in the past some players would have problems decoding compression 8 files.
    in my own case I use 5 compression.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I have used level 8 for everything since I first started using FLAC. I have never had any problems. So, I see no point in wasting disk space (especially since I only have 653 GB left on a 4 TB drive).

Mike

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    I have used level 8 for everything since I first started using FLAC. I have never had any problems. So, I see no point in wasting disk space (especially since I only have 653 GB left on a 4 TB drive).

Mike
    I use a laptop with a basic Celeron processor and have had no issues either encoding, or decoding using level 8.

All friends and work colleagues that I know of use the default setting, except one who uses Uncompressed...

dBpoweramp Guru

For example, In the past my Squeezebox Transporter would struggle with FLAC files encoded at 8. The problem was solved with an update to the firmware.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    For example, In the past my Squeezebox Transporter would struggle with FLAC files encoded at 8. The problem was solved with an update to the firmware.
    Interesting to know Gary. All seems good with the Squeezebox Touch, but I probably had later firmware before trying level 8.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Interesting to know Gary. All seems good with the Squeezebox Touch, but I probably had later firmware before trying level 8.
    It was an odd problem. Never affected the TOUCH, only the Transporter. (And new firmware cured for the Transporter too). Can't recall what was actually causing the problem (and not sure I would understand the underlying technicalities in any case).

Hopefully in the future flac start naming the compression levels like monkey's audio and wavpack did via fast normal high extra high