title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Playback of DSD (DSF /DFF) files as is

Playback of DSD (DSF /DFF) files as is

Hello,

playing a DSD file as is from my Synology 918 shows up in the Bubble app (used for streaming) as playing a 24bit 96kHz wav file instead of a 1bit 2xxx kHz track.

The renderer I use is ready to playback DSD files as is and the same DSD files playbacked via another server on my Synology then show up correctly as 1bit 2xxx kHz.

Is the info given in the Bubble app during playback via Asset just wrong or am I missing something in the settings to enable correct playback?

Best regards
    zikarus
    Last edited by zikarus; 03-29-2019 at 01:37 AM.

Administrator

Re: Playback of DSD (DSF /DFF) files as is

Try 'as single', bubble must be choosing the presented wave file.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If it helps - I have DSD set 'as is' & it shows as DSD64 2.8MHz on the Naim display & DSD64 on the iPad app display.
    Maybe you need to look at the Bubble element

Naim NDX - iPad with Naim app - Synology DS214
    Last edited by Mike-B; 03-29-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Thank you for your replies.

Strange enough, but despite using the 'as is' or 'as is single' settings, the playbacked DSD files show up as 24-96 wav files in my Bubble app.

Might be another setting that prevents the correct playback? (I have checked Replay Gain and 24 bit in order to play 16-44 Flac files as 24-44 wav)
    Or might the displayed info in the Bubble app be incorrect?

The files itself are not the problem since using another server shows the correct data during playback (1bit 2822kHz) which also might indicate that the infos in the Bubble app are fine....
    Last edited by zikarus; 04-01-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zikarus View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

Strange enough, but despite using the 'as is' or 'as is single' settings, the playbacked DSD files show up as 24-96 wav files in my Bubble app.

Might be another setting that prevents the correct playback? (I have checked Replay Gain and 24 bit in order to play 16-44 Flac files as 24-44 wav)
    Or might the displayed info in the Bubble app be incorrect?

The files itself are not the problem since using another server shows the correct data during playback (1bit 2822kHz) which also might indicate that the infos in the Bubble app are fine....

Zikarus,
    I have experienced exactly the same problem streaming DSD files from Asset through BibbleUPnP server to a linux renderer with upmpdcli and MPD with a DAC board capable of decoding DSD to the highest rate. The thing is,even though BubbleUPnP control point shows 24-96, the DSD file do really reach the DAC in native form untouched, bit perfect. I can tell so because a) if I try to reduce the volume in the control point (BubbleUPnP Android) I get hiss noise and b) I checked in the linux renderer with
    $ cat /proc/asound/card*/pcm*p/sub*/hw_params
    and get this output while playing:

access: RW_INTERLEAVED
    format: DSD_U32_BE
    subformat: STD
    channels: 2
    rate: 88200 (88200/1)
    period_size: 11025
    buffer_size: 44100

Which shows MPD is playing a DSD 64 file natively (not DoP nor is being downsampled to PCM)

Now, I have tried other control points (Linn Kazoo) and it also shows something like "DSD 24-96" which is absurd. So I believe there is a bug somehow in the communication of info sent from Asset to the control point regarding the file type.

Can you guys at Illustrate look at it?

Thanks!

Administrator

I think for DSD all are presented as 24/96 as we do not decode the file to find out what it is on catalog (it would take too long).

It is bubble that need to look at this issue, the other control points all show DSD as the presented format.