title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: PerfectTUNES discussion

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: PerfectTUNES discussion

It took several hours to check my collection, but I presume it's doing more than just looking at titles.

Mick

Administrator

This is normal as the track is decoded and actually listened to generate a finger print.

Administrator

We are working on a fix for the missing (drawn) items

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We are working on a fix for the missing (drawn) items
    Yup, beta2 fixed the scroll/display issue for me. Thanks, Spoon!

Granted, it found 12396 Duplicates (out of > 43000 files) in my test data set. So, while very clean and simple, the current tool interface isn't a realistic way to deal with that number of dupes.

Any chance of grouping by probable album or artist? While I'm dreaming, I'd be more keen on a spreadsheet-like interface. Easier to find low hanging fruit that way. Sort groups by the lowest bitrate found in the group, etc.

Also, what, exactly is the count of duplicates?
    a) total files involved in duplicate matches?
    b) * of groups of duplicates?
    c) Total files involved minus the number of groups? E.g. the number of files that would be removed if all but one of the files was deleted for each group?

Brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

A is the answer

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for the new beta - works fine now.

Mick

dBpoweramp Guru

Is it possible to report to the user how close a match the potentially duplicate files are? And categorize duplicates in something similar to the following order?

0. Filename, audio and metadata exact match. Allows easy discovery of duplicate folder contents.
    1. Audio and metadata exact match: audio and metadata are identical, filename may differ. Think about whether this should checksum the entire file contents or have separate parsing and checksums of audio and meta data.
    2. Audio-only exact match: audio data is bit-identical, metadata is different.
    3. Audio fingerprint match only: audio data was probably encoded from the same source but there are some differences due to lossy encoding or non-accurate rips.

Item *0 might be something you wish to leave to other tools, I suppose.

Brendan

Spoon - is there a possibility of making the "fingerprinter" available as a library that could be called by other applications? I would be more than happy to pay for this sort of functionality.

I have about 13k tracks and don't want to delete duplicate tracks as I want to keep CDs complete, what I want to do is delete (and sell) CDs whose tracks are all duplicates and as I have many compilations this could be a few. Plus this is a great way of matching tracks, not just to identify duplicates, but to identify mistagged tracks that would otherwise not be found. I have already written an app that does this, but it relied on tags, so step one was getting tags right. The idea of the fingerprinter kills two birds with one stone - helps fix tags and identifiess duplicates by content not tags - brilliant!!

Administrator

The technology would not easily transfer to a library.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Tried de-dup and it works perfectly for CERTAIN MATCHES. The POSSIBLE MATCHES list contains tracks very very different, I can't understand how they can be considered POSSIBLE MATCHES...
    WHISHLIST: to have an ACKNOVELEDGE button to put some 'desired' duplicates in another list (after CERTAIN MATCHES and POSSIBLE MATCHES).
    Thanks Spoon.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar View Post
    Is it possible to report to the user how close a match the potentially duplicate files are? And categorize duplicates in something similar to the following order?

0. Filename, audio and metadata exact match. Allows easy discovery of duplicate folder contents.
    1. Audio and metadata exact match: audio and metadata are identical, filename may differ. Think about whether this should checksum the entire file contents or have separate parsing and checksums of audio and meta data.
    2. Audio-only exact match: audio data is bit-identical, metadata is different.
    3. Audio fingerprint match only: audio data was probably encoded from the same source but there are some differences due to lossy encoding or non-accurate rips.
    I agree (the exact level of detail could very well be up to discussion though, see below). What about, say, a pulldown to ignore metadata differences.

But, what I would like to see, is a "audio is bit-identical bar offset" kind of thing -- this requires some tolerance tuning, as it strictly speaking means that the tracks are not identical, one is not even a subset of the other, rather one begins first and the other ends last. And with different conventions on gaps appended or prepended ... this requires some work yes. And I'd like to have it working on folders -- basically if the utility can tell me that folder X and folder Y contains the same except a few frames at the beginning or end. (As of now, I am using cuetools for that ... reporting CRC w/o zeroes. Always looking for a better solution.)

Also, I would like the other side of the story: check for folders that are 'original' and 'remaster' (or 'remaster1' and 'remaster2') versions of the same album. Like, 'these two are the same album but way too different to possibly be the same (pre-)master tape'.

(As usual, I am throwing out suggestions à la carte, hoping some might serve whatever the purpose of this software really is ... which I don't know yet. But don't we all.)

dBpoweramp Guru

Also, Spoon: with your betas, I am used to not clicking the uninstall and reinstall button ... I suppose that's still the default thing to do?

(And I suppose you would save yourself some questions if you put that information in the stickied announcement thread )

Administrator

Uninstalling is best before installing new.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: PerfectTUNES

Spoon,
    Looks like a great tool with exciting potential!

Some things I would love to see:

Handling of lossless and lossy libraries
    - sync lossless and lossy libraries
    - option to remove dups from lossy, but NOT lossless library

Integration with CD ripper:
    - Identify if CD inserted into a drive is in the library, if not option to auto-launch ripper and auto-rip
    - For lossless libraries, option to separate albums where entire rip was accurate from albums where 1 or more tracks are inaccurate/insecure

As a feature request could we have the choice to show more info in the duplicates window.
    The field that I would really like to see to help me choose which to delete is full folder path of each file but others (such as file date etc) could then be added as additional options if requested.
    Making the 'i' icon display its info via mouse-over is another option but I would prefer it as part of the main display.

I have 30k tracks with (apparently) 6k duplicates and clicking on the folder or the 'i' icon each time to check the path is going to get painful.

Many thanks for a great app.