title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R14.x Requests and Suggestions

dBpoweramp Guru

R14.x Requests and Suggestions

dBpoweramp is already arguably the most powerful CD ripper. My hope is that with R14 it can add new features that continue to set it apart. Hopefully these features extend the ability of dBpoweramp to be the most powerful and accurate CD ripper, and to be able to rip discs no other programs can and continue to offer an even more powerful meta-data system.

- CUETools DB Support : Uses Reed–Solomon error correction files to repair unrippable discs

- Open DSP Architecture : This would allow users and developers to greatly extend the power of dBpoweramp. Now that many more power/enthusiast users use dBpoweramp since the introduction of secure ripping, this could become a very vibrant development community.

- Option to separate DISCS (not tracks) into accurate and inaccurate directories: When a disc is ripped accurately all the files are placed in the normal directory. When one or more tracks on the disc are inaccurate the user would have the option to move all of the disc, or just the inaccurate files to an incomplete or inaccurate directory separate and distinct from the main library. If in the future the disc is repaired or a different copy of the same pressing is ripped and all of the files are ripped accurately dB moves the album over to the accurate directory. This does NOT require database functionality. When a disc is inserted check the directory. If the disc already exists in the accurate directory, double check the number of tracks/ARid/CD TOC, inform the user and the rip can be canceled. It it exists in the innaccurate directory, only select the innaccurate tracks to be re-ripped by default. If all tracks are accurate move the disc to the accurate directory. If the disc is in neither directory rip to a temporary rip directory, at the end of the rip move the disc to the appropriate directory.

- re-rip bad frames in multiple drives : The ability of drives to read different errors differs between drives. Some drives can read through some errors, while others can read through different errors. The idea is to start a rip in one drive. If some frames are unrecoverable the disc could be placed in another drive and the bad frames re-ripped to try to get an accuraterip

- Improvements to PerfetMeta as outline
    PerfetMeta Discussion
    PerfectMeta Formatting

- A confidence indicator for the PerfectMeta results, the more closely all the results match, the higher the confidence, the lower the confidence, the more closely the user should manually inspect the results. Would help users know when they should manually review meta-data

- Would like to see meta data pulled from multiple freedb choices, not just one random one as is currently done

- Add discogs as a Perfectmeta source

- Option to write cue sheet when ripping to individual tracks.

- Option for second pass burst mode. It seems that often if there are errors, re-ripping often gets an accuraterip the first time around while secure ripping may toil for a very long time and maybe get an accuraterip. If C2 is enable collect additional C2 pointers during 2nd pass.

- Option to keep a high resolution folder.jpg or artisit - album.jpg in the album directory and tag each file with a lower resolution and smaller size jpg

- "Defective by Design" database: suggests if a disc may be "Defective by Design" and benefit from this ripping mode

- split tracks with hidden song after silence (song-silence-hiddensong) into 3 separate tracks: song xcutx silence xcutx hiddensong. Options to:
    - split in files as above
    - put index marks in tags
    - put index marks in cuesheet

- A log entry on HDCD detected and one for Pre-emph detected (whether or not de-emph is to be implemented)

- Flag Pre-emph songs/discs and DSP for de-emph

- gap detection

- Add AlbumArtExchange.com as a album cover source, and option to upload scanned album art to this site. I'm not sure what resources the new "Choose Art" option is searching, but if available there, they have the BEST. Also, an option to prefer AlbumArtExchange.com as the preferred album art source would be great.

- allow for album art >500x500

- Write the raw meta-data from each provider to a txt file in the ripped album directory. This is not caching or storing the meta data in your software and not really different from writing it as meta-data in the file tags, but would make it easier to edit the meta tags of ripped files more easily in the future

- options to organize "Choose Art" results by resolution and file size.

- Option to save the highest resolution art from BOTH AMG and GD3 automatically: the art from different sources is often wrong or of poor quality. Especially with the batch ripper where you are paying for the meta-data you should grab it ALL in case the one downloaded by default is wrong or poor quality

Administrator

Re: R14.x Requests and Suggestions

It is allowed, just by default CD Ripper has to option set to limit to 500x500

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

It is allowed, just by default CD Ripper has to option set to limit to 500x500
    I know there is an option to resize. But I cant find a way to tell dBpoweramp simply to not resize any images. Am I overlooking something?

Administrator

It is a limit, so set to 10000 x 10000 and it would never touch the image

dBpoweramp Guru

Request: Show which freedb base a match is taken from.
    Why? Multiples have to go in different bases.

Minor bug: 'rejected' e-mail from freedb tells me that software has identified as 'dBpowerAMP V12.0'. Using R14 beta.

I'm all for the discogs request that keeps popping up

I'm a long time EAC user & have been tempted to try the dbpoweramp trial/beta recently.

If this were included it would tip me over the edge for sure (& lots of people I know who love discogs)

Allow Rip as One to have a default value of all tracks so you don't have to click Ok every time Rip as One is clicked. What would even be better is to allow Rip as One to be a default when a Disc is inserted so all I have do do is click on Rip.. Another great option would be to keep the previous tags if nothing comes back from the online tag db's. I find that only a small percentage of Audio Books get their tags filled in, so I fill in the Artist, Album, Genre and Year on the first disc, It would be great not to have to keep typing that in for each disc.

I love to listen to books on my MP3 player and find it much simpler to deal with one file per CD.

Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by bigbill; 05-01-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Administrator

Trouble with discogs is they do not have any CD TOCs, so basically you could have discogs agree with AMG, or GD3 , or freedb (if they all pointed to different albums).

bigbill - check out the [cuesheet image] codec in the beta section of this forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

Trouble with discogs is they do not have any CD TOCs, so basically you could have discogs agree with AMG, or GD3 , or freedb (if they all pointed to different albums).
    Certainly not an ideal way to search, but should help improve consistency of the metadata. In addition, Discogs is a very good source for album art.

I want to emphasize also how important I think it is to use the multiple different freedb entries. The quality of entries varies dramatically in freedb. Some are meticulous and much better then AMG or GD3. Some are plain awful. The current system of choosing one at random potentially misses some very good opportunities.

Administrator

If you manually retreive from freedb you are given the selection option.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you manually retreive from freedb you are given the selection option.

I am aware of this, but these results can't be used with PerfectMeta. Ideally all of the freedb entries would be used to generate the PerfectMeta.

dBpoweramp Guru

I agree that Discogs lacking a good identifier is a real issue, but look at the Discogs question and the multiple-freedb question together:

1) If there ain't any sorts of metadata, then the option to prompt for Discogs search might still be of some use.

2) If there is metadata, but the release is unique -- i.e. PerfectMeta only corrects spelling and (other) errors -- then these metadata might be used for a Discogs search, and could certainly help filling in. Besides, Discogs metadata are often fairly comprehensive -- albumart, producer/engineer credits, recording details, and also information on whether this N-track version of the particular release is a re-release with bonus track, and when the original was released.

3) If there is metadata, indicating various releases, then there should be a way to use any of the Freedb entries to determine which release to go for. Then repeat argument No. 2 -- Discogs still helps.

I understand arguments why Allmusic is prioritized, especially for BatchRipper, with pay-per-lookup -- then definitely you will rather store Allmusic (other sources may be looked up for free by another tagging application). But then you would still not want to choose a freedb entry at random, you would want to choose one which is the same release.

Still I would think it is a good idea to store discarded metadata, at least what appears to be a distinct release. Especially for Batch Ripper purposes, where the user would rather want to re-view than choose up front. Then distinct tagsets, each made correct by PerfectMeta would be A Better Thing [tm] than PerfectMeta filling in "composer" from a totally unrelated release just because it is missing from the chosen metadata-set.

(Alternative metadata could be stored in -- say you're using FLAC -- a Vorbis comment, e.g.:
    dBpoweramp-alternative-tagsets: blahblahblah1; blahblahblah2
    and dMC could have a feature to switch.)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Porcus View Post
    (Alternative metadata could be stored in -- say you're using FLAC -- a Vorbis comment, e.g.:
    dBpoweramp-alternative-tagsets: blahblahblah1; blahblahblah2
    and dMC could have a feature to switch.)
    I would prefer to create a txt file in the rip folder will all of the raw meta-data from each source. A tool could then be used to review this info and manually alter and retag meta-data in the music files.

Yea, that is a bummer... & why I've settled for the foobar plugin...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Here's what I think should be an easy request for R14: re-sizing the panes in the CD Ripper window.

I often add custom tags in the middle bottom panel, and so it always has a scroll bar to get to the bottom to add a new tag. What would be nice is to be able to drag the horizontal separator to increase the height of the three panels along the bottom (and decrease the height of the track listing panel) - hope I explained that clearly enough.