title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Hi

I've just finished running a large random collection of FLACs and Mp3s through the Batch Converter -> RG Codec. Most of the files went through fine. A few didn't, but that's because the parent folders I used were too long and it pushed the everything over the 256 character limit. Lesson learnt!

However, there are some others that I cannot figure out why they've gone wrong. Some have no RG tags. Some have no RG tags AND no genre tag.

I will try doing these again and hopefully it will fix the problem. But at the same time (and for future reference) it would be nice to know what went wrong. What would be the best way of trying to find out, or isn't there one? Is it normal for a few to go wrong when converting a large library in one go?

Thanks for the help

Max

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

What do you have selected in the Albums Identified By dropdown menu? Depending on what you have selected here, determines how the RG values are calculated/applied. Either the tracks that have no RG tags do not have consistent Album tags OR are not in the same folder.

Replay Gain utility codec does not affect your Genre tags.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    What do you have selected in the Albums Identified By dropdown menu? Depending on what you have selected here, determines how the RG values are calculated/applied. Either the tracks that have no RG tags do not have consistent Album tags OR are not in the same folder.
    In the dropdown menu I have "Album ID Tag". I've already tagged all the files and sorted out the filenaming and folder scheme. So I can't see how it can be either of those things. Unless there's something weird going on with the tags. Is it possible for a file to have two sets of tags (different types)?

Replay Gain utility codec does not affect your Genre tags.
    I know it is not meant to, but it just has for me. Only on a few files... But is has done it. I don't know if it is a bug/glitch, if there's something odd about the tags, or who knows what. But as far as I'm aware, before running everything through the RG codec all genre tags were present and correct. Since running them through the RG codec, there are some files which have not had RG applied, and of those, some no longer have a genre tag either.

Hopefully will be able to get to the bottom of it so I know if I have to put anything right in the future.

Many thanks for the reply

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A bit of an apology to you there mville. I've just been through each individual messed up file and can confirm that the only ones with missing genres are the ones that are corrupted due to going over the 256 character limit. And those I don't consider a problem seeing as I know why they are messed up and how to fix it.

The others though remain a mystery. Just to confirm, they DO have genre tags, but they don't have ANY RG tags. I have double checked the album tags for them and they match the album tags of the rest of the tracks in the folder/on the album. So I don't think it is that, unless - as I mentioned above - there is some way there are different form at tags on there running concurrently. Don't even know if that's possible though...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A further, further update

I've just taken one of the problem albums which had two tracks in it on which no RG tags had been written. I removed the RG tracks (using Foobar), then used DBPA RG Codec to redo new RG tags. I wanted to try this to see whether the problem was anything to do with the large amount of files I batch converted in one go. Wrong tree I'm barking up though, because the same two tracks still didn't have RG info after doing that.

So I then removed the RG tags again, and this time I used Foobar to apply the RG tags. Bingo! So it would seem that the problem is not with the files themselves, but something that DBPA Music Converter and/or RG Codec doesn't like...

Administrator

if you can isolate one file which will not tag, then send to us please.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sure, here we are:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...zROWllxOWtOMTA

Let's see what it turns up.

Many thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Sure, here we are:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...zROWllxOWtOMTA

Let's see what it turns up.
    Running Test Conversion on this file produces this error:
    Error converting to Test Conversion, 'D:\MP3\Wolf Eyes - Slicer - 02 - Untitled 02.mp3' to 'D:\MP3\Wolf Eyes - Slicer - 02 - Untitled 02.IGNORE'
    Error decoding mp3 data stream, is corrupt?

So, some of your files are probably corrupted.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So, some of your files are probably corrupted.
    What would that mean in practical terms? That file in question does now have RG tags (because I added them using foobar) and it plays back fine too. Is that normal for a corrupted file?

dBpoweramp Guru

What would that mean in practical terms? That file in question does now have RG tags (because I added them using foobar) and it plays back fine too. Is that normal for a corrupted file?
    Very odd indeed, I can play back the file in foobar2000, but Test Conversion gives the error. Can you try running Test Conversion on the file you uploaded, do you get any errors?

... just listened to the whole track in foobar2000 and it stops after 5.00 minutes, I believe the uploaded file is corrupted.
    Last edited by mville; 02-17-2017 at 06:26 AM. Reason: foobar2000 playback issue

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

... just listened to the whole track in foobar2000 and it stops after 5.00 minutes, I believe the uploaded file is corrupted.
    Great spot! I feel stupid now for not having listened to the whole track myself. I just played the first few seconds and thought "if it's working it's working".

I've got to pop out now, but when I'm back I'll try all the other files that had the same issue and see if the same thing is true of them. Or at least some of them.... Perhaps others might be corrupted in other ways.

Thanks for your thoroughness!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, how bizarre. It turns out that that Wolf Eyes song I uploaded in post *7 isn't even the right track for the album! It might not even be the same artist for all I know. That could well explain why it stops after 5 minutes

Here's the actual track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0pPePxbuWc

Totally different. No idea what went on there, but hey - never mind.

I've been going through some of the other problem tracks and they do seem to be the correct length. One album where all of the tracks have the problem is quite glitchy though and I wonder if that is corrupt? I've tried using the DBPA converter with Test Conversion selected and nothing happens; even when I use it on the track from post *7. So how exactly can I use that codec for testing for errors? Is there a walkthrough anywhere and if not can someone explain? I'll be away for 24 hours or so but will take a look when I'm back. I'll also have a good look and listen to all the tracks in question and see if anything wrong stands out. In the meantime I've uploaded a couple more tracks in case anyone has a moment to look at them or is just plain curious

Thanks for all the help

Tracks:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...VE2SlJTUXBCV0U
    (this is from the glitchy album mentioned above)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...mlId0dBNjB2YUE
    Last edited by Max Dread; 02-17-2017 at 10:39 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've been going through some of the other problem tracks and they do seem to be the correct length. One album where all of the tracks have the problem is quite glitchy though and I wonder if that is corrupt? I've tried using the DBPA converter with Test Conversion selected and nothing happens; even when I use it on the track from post *7. So how exactly can I use that codec for testing for errors? Is there a walkthrough anywhere and if not can someone explain? I'll be away for 24 hours or so but will take a look when I'm back. I'll also have a good look and listen to all the tracks in question and see if anything wrong stands out. In the meantime I've uploaded a couple more tracks in case anyone has a moment to look at them or is just plain curious
    What do you mean by nothing happens running Test Conversion?

Does it run, then finish, with no error window appearing? If so, then there are NO errors.

I get NO errors on these files.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What do you mean by nothing happens running Test Conversion?

Does it run, then finish, with no error window appearing?
    Yes, exactly that. But the thing is, I tried it on the track that you said you DID find errors on. I found none. So that's weird... Which is a shame as it would be handy to test all of the "problem" files.

I get NO errors on these files.
    Right, so I guess that brings things full circle to the original question of why these tracks had no RG tags applied to them when I did the large batch convert, and likewise even when I converted them as single albums album. Foobar was able to give them RG tags; but not DBPA.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Many thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

I have downloaded the 2 files above and as previously mentioned, running Test Conversion gives no errors.

Also, I can successfully run the Replay Gain utility codec on these files. I have dBpoweramp Music Converter R15.3, with Replay Gain utility codec R5.

I do not understand why you are not able to successfully run the Replay Gain utility codec on these files.