title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

Re: Ripper Drive Configuration Issues

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    No. The other parameters you refer to ARE drive specific.
    Exactly... But the program treats them like globals (same for both drives) hence the issue. If you want to separate them you need to setup a profile for each drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sr. View Post
    Exactly... But the program treats them like globals (same for both drives) hence the issue. If you want to separate them you need to setup a profile for each drive.
    Which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter have you installed?

I have dBpoweramp R16.3, 64-bit installed on a Windows 10 Pro PC and I can configure different drive settings, without the need to set-up separate profiles.

... just to clarify, the drive settings being:
    Drive Read Cache
    Clear Read Cache with FUA
    C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection
    8KB Transfers (C2 Pointers over USB/Firewire)
    Last edited by mville; 12-03-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: clarifying drive settings

[QUOTE=mville;179748]Which version of dBpoweramp Music Converter have you installed?

I have dBpoweramp R16.3, 64-bit installed on a Windows 10 Pro PC and I can configure different drive settings, without the need to set-up separate profiles.

I have the same version running on Win 7 Pro x64.

... just to clarify, the drive settings being:
    Drive Read Cache
    Clear Read Cache with FUA
    C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection
    8KB Transfers (C2 Pointers over USB/Firewire)
    Go back and reread post *8. These are NOT the parameters that I was referring to.

dBpoweramp Guru

Go back and reread post *8. These are NOT the parameters that I was referring to.
    So we are now going full circle in this thread and the question still remains!

Why do users need different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads for different drives?

I'm not sure and you haven't given a convincing reason why, but if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.

So we are now going full circle in this thread and the question still remains!

Why do users need different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads for different drives?

I'm not sure and you haven't given a convincing reason why, but if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.
    Go look at the CD Ripper configuration instructions paying close attention to the differences between C2 and non-C2 drives.

dBpoweramp Guru

Go look at the CD Ripper configuration instructions paying close attention to the differences between C2 and non-C2 drives.
    Yes, I understand that, but I am yet to be convinced (after ripping CDs for many, many years) that having these different software settings is important, especially when you consider how often drives claim to support C2 but don't implement the support (as Spoon has already mentioned) and that we have the AccurareRip feature. FYI, I have a drive that reports to support C2, but it does not.

However having said that, I have also said if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.
    Last edited by mville; 12-05-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarity

Yes, I understand that, but I am yet to be convinced (after ripping CDs for many, many years) that having these different software settings is important, especially when you consider how often drives claim to support C2 but don't implement the support (as Spoon has already mentioned) and that we have the AccurareRip feature. FYI, I have a drive that reports to support C2, but it does not.

However having said that, I have also said if you must have different Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads, you are able to setup different profiles. No big deal.
    I am just trying to follow the Ripper configuration directions which cannot be done without using profiles if you have both a C2 and a non-C2 drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

I am just trying to follow the Ripper configuration directions which cannot be done without using profiles if you have both a C2 and a non-C2 drive.
    Personally, I would leave the Ultra Secure Passes and Maximum Re-Reads settings the same and I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment. In my experience, it won't be an issue as CDs that are badly scratched or have manufacturing errors won't rip successfully in any drive, regardless of the settings. If and when you come across such a CD, then I would experiment with the ultra secure settings to see if you can rip the damaged CD.

What is important is that when you rip, your CD Rip Status reports as Accurate, so ultra secure mode is irrelevant. The good news is you have 2 drives. If a CD does not rip in one, it may rip in the other, as an AccurateRip.
    Last edited by mville; 12-09-2017 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added more info