title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary,

By 'field', I just use that as a generic term for (what some may call) a 'verbatim box'. So basically just the empty box in which you type the metadata.

So should I just leave everything as it is and go along with how it is appearing by default, please?

Cheers,

Paul
    I have to say yes. It is my own naming scheme that creates this output. So of course I think it is correct. But if you want file names to be something different, you can edit the dynamic naming string to produce whatever filenames you want. It is completely flexible.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have to say yes. It is my own naming scheme that creates this output. So of course I think it is correct. But if you want file names to be something different, you can edit the dynamic naming string to produce whatever filenames you want. It is completely flexible.
    Hi Gary,

I am inclined to stick with you and leave things as they are. Let sleeping dogs lie, as they say!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I am inclined to stick with you and leave things as they are. Let sleeping dogs lie, as they say!
    It all comes down to the Naming string. garym's Naming string works for him.

It seems you have chosen to copy his Naming string, without first deciding is that how you want your filename and folder structure to be.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    It all comes down to the Naming string. garym's Naming string works for him.

It seems you have chosen to copy his Naming string, without first deciding is that how you want your filename and folder structure to be.
    Mville,

I am not saying that I am unhappy with the scheme, but rather that I was double-checking the 'compilation' results I were correct before proceeding. I have only ripped 2 x 'compilation' CDs to date and so had little to compare the results with.

When I adopted Gary's 'string' I had only owned 'dBpa. for a couple for weeks, and so new next to nothing about it. But I am still glad I made this decision.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I am not saying that I am unhappy with the scheme, but rather that I was double-checking the 'compilation' results I were correct before proceeding. I have only ripped 2 x 'compilation' CDs to date and so had little to compare the results with.

When I adopted Gary's 'string' I had only owned 'dBpa. for a couple for weeks, and so new next to nothing about it. But I am still glad I made this decision.
    No problem.

I'm just trying to encourage the learning/understanding of dBpoweramp, rather than copying parrot-fashion.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    No problem.

I'm just trying to encourage the learning/understanding of dBpoweramp, rather than copying parrot-fashion.
    Mville,

I feel I am better at ripping than I was four months ago, but I am nowhere near the stage of ever creating my own 'strings'.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Monster, if you want to learn how the naming string works, make a different profile with a different storage location (so you don't mess up your main directory) and experiment some. I've played with it quite a bit to get what I want (particularly avoiding too long file/directory names, like classical CDs, without messing up what's in the tags.)

Now I have the advantage of having been around computer programming for over 50 years, (Fortran in 1964) and I can see how someone with no coding experience would be lost particularly when it comes to conditional (IF and such) commands. But, in this day and age it is probably nice to understand the logic in computer programming examples. Now there is the issue of the "language" used here and its syntax.

I don't know where Spoon found this one, or if he dreamed it up himself. It is very flexible, if rather obtuse. Get used to counting brackets... But if you understand the fundamentals of coding, particularly conditionals, and realize that the string decodes from left to right except for parentheses, rather like an algebraic expression, you should be able to understand how the string works. It is basically a translator.

As an example, I never learned PHP, HTML or CSS3 until I got into making a couple of webpages and found it necessary to modify the pre-programmed templates to make the pages the way I wanted them. I had no problem following the logic, based on the other languages I learned, but I have yet to remember the syntaxes. Google is my friend, I type the language name and command in the search box, and up pops the command, with all the syntax displayed. Is it a comma or a semicolon. Where do I need a slash. Etc. Unfortunately I've never found anything on this naming string language outside of dBPoweramp, but there are plenty of examples and it is easy to experiment. And if you try something and it doesn't work ask here. Much better than just saying "I don't see how to make it work". But as I said, I fully understand how people with no coding experience find it to be "greek".

dBpoweramp Guru

I feel I am better at ripping than I was four months ago, but I am nowhere near the stage of ever creating my own 'strings'.
    I started ripping using a CD Ripper tutorial I found on a blog. The naming string works for me, so I didn't need to understand how it works. As a result, string examples in these forums made my eyes glaze over a bit.

That changed when I started to convert my AIFF files to FLAC. My CD Ripper naming string didn't work to my satisfaction in Music Converter, so I had to figure out what I wanted and how I could get there. Armed with the dBpoweramp Naming page, I repeatedly set up conversion of a few files to see how my changes affected the results. The best thing is that I could see those results without having to initiate an actual conversion, as Music Converter has a button showing the number of files being processed; when clicked it opens a page listing the complete paths for the new files. If something wasn't right (missing spaces, path problems, utter garbage), I tried a fix and looked again. Eventually, I had it sussed and could start converting for real. (After which I had to deal with tags, but that's a different subject. )

The first point here is that you can use Music Converter to learn how to create working naming strings without having to rip CDs, saving yourself a lot of time. Copy a few of your FLAC files to a new folder, highlight and right-click on them, choose Convert To in the pop-up dialog, and start experimenting with naming strings either by pasting in the one you use with CD Ripper or writing from scratch. Try adding elements just to see what they do. Alter or add tags if you need to experiment with them. Use the button I mentioned to check the results of your efforts as you go. As long as you're working on copies of your files, you won't mess up anything you care about--but do ensure that if you perform an actual conversion, you're writing new files to the same folder as the ones you're experimenting on, or a subfolder of it. You don't want files strewn about willy-nilly.

The second point is that if you're like me, you learn by doing, and using Music Converter this way makes that much easier; I like to think if it as a naming string sandbox. While you don't have the same programming experience that schmidj and I do (coincidentally, I also started with Fortran, in 1973), you have to start somewhere. Why not begin with something you're really interested in?

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    Monster, if you want to learn how the naming string works, make a different profile with a different storage location (so you don't mess up your main directory) and experiment some. I've played with it quite a bit to get what I want (particularly avoiding too long file/directory names, like classical CDs, without messing up what's in the tags.)

Now I have the advantage of having been around computer programming for over 50 years, (Fortran in 1964) and I can see how someone with no coding experience would be lost particularly when it comes to conditional (IF and such) commands. But, in this day and age it is probably nice to understand the logic in computer programming examples. Now there is the issue of the "language" used here and its syntax.

I don't know where Spoon found this one, or if he dreamed it up himself. It is very flexible, if rather obtuse. Get used to counting brackets... But if you understand the fundamentals of coding, particularly conditionals, and realize that the string decodes from left to right except for parentheses, rather like an algebraic expression, you should be able to understand how the string works. It is basically a translator.

As an example, I never learned PHP, HTML or CSS3 until I got into making a couple of webpages and found it necessary to modify the pre-programmed templates to make the pages the way I wanted them. I had no problem following the logic, based on the other languages I learned, but I have yet to remember the syntaxes. Google is my friend, I type the language name and command in the search box, and up pops the command, with all the syntax displayed. Is it a comma or a semicolon. Where do I need a slash. Etc. Unfortunately I've never found anything on this naming string language outside of dBPoweramp, but there are plenty of examples and it is easy to experiment. And if you try something and it doesn't work ask here. Much better than just saying "I don't see how to make it work". But as I said, I fully understand how people with no coding experience find it to be "greek".
    Hi Schmidj,

Thanks a lot for the full reply!

I may well have a mess around after Xmas when I am likely to have ripped all of my Jazz Genre; which is likely to amount to over 100GB. I am actually - by nature - the type of person who, once everything is up and running, will leave it be. But I could, as you suggest, create an new PROFILE and just experiment with whacking everything onto an old USB stick and see how it turns out. I am sure I would learn a lot from this, if I can understand the reasons behind the end results.

We did not have a computer at school during the 1970s and I did not buy my first laptop until about 2008! So I am a very late starter. Because I did not leave school with any qualifications I have been attending night school for the past two years trying to gain English and Maths. It's very difficult when you are older than everyone (inc. the teachers!) and slower to learn. Algebra makes up 1/3 of the content of the Maths exam and so we are spending a whole term on it; but it is very difficult to learn (esp. when you never even understood it at school 30 years ago!).

A few people have said to me - in the past - to either try learning: Java, C+, or Python. I just never got around to it because; 1 - It seemed very daunting!; and 2 - other hobbies/commitments at the time took precedence.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Hi JH,

Is this a LINK? It does not seem to be working at my end?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-18-2017 at 04:57 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Is this a LINK? It does not seem to be working at my end?
    Yes, it's a link. No, it won't work from the forum because it's a link to my hard drive. I didn't remember it worked that way.

Try pasting:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/dBpoweramp/Help/dMC/Naming.htm

into your browser's address bar. It should work if you didn't change the file location when installing dBpa.

Or, click the help buttons within dBpa itself.

Administrator

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Got the LINK page now thanks guys. Paul.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I started ripping using a CD Ripper tutorial I found on a blog. The naming string works for me, so I didn't need to understand how it works. As a result, string examples in these forums made my eyes glaze over a bit.

That changed when I started to convert my AIFF files to FLAC. My CD Ripper naming string didn't work to my satisfaction in Music Converter, so I had to figure out what I wanted and how I could get there. Armed with the dBpoweramp Naming page, I repeatedly set up conversion of a few files to see how my changes affected the results. The best thing is that I could see those results without having to initiate an actual conversion, as Music Converter has a button showing the number of files being processed; when clicked it opens a page listing the complete paths for the new files. If something wasn't right (missing spaces, path problems, utter garbage), I tried a fix and looked again. Eventually, I had it sussed and could start converting for real. (After which I had to deal with tags, but that's a different subject. )

The first point here is that you can use Music Converter to learn how to create working naming strings without having to rip CDs, saving yourself a lot of time. Copy a few of your FLAC files to a new folder, highlight and right-click on them, choose Convert To in the pop-up dialog, and start experimenting with naming strings either by pasting in the one you use with CD Ripper or writing from scratch. Try adding elements just to see what they do. Alter or add tags if you need to experiment with them. Use the button I mentioned to check the results of your efforts as you go. As long as you're working on copies of your files, you won't mess up anything you care about--but do ensure that if you perform an actual conversion, you're writing new files to the same folder as the ones you're experimenting on, or a subfolder of it. You don't want files strewn about willy-nilly.

The second point is that if you're like me, you learn by doing, and using Music Converter this way makes that much easier; I like to think if it as a naming string sandbox. While you don't have the same programming experience that schmidj and I do (coincidentally, I also started with Fortran, in 1973), you have to start somewhere. Why not begin with something you're really interested in?
    Thanks a lot JH,

Was the CD Ripping tutorial you watched on You Tube, and was it for 'Illustrate', please?

I have not used the 'Music Conversion' s/w yet (I assume this is different from the 'Batch Converter' which I have used a couple of times).

I have my FLACs (80GB so far) stored on my laptop C-Drive, an SD-card, and an external-HD. So I could create some duplicates and have a mess with those in the future.

I have learnt, what I know so far, from asking questions (on here) and running the process over and over until I have drilled it into myself. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner.

Yes, I am very interested in learning something more about 'Illustrate'. I have never used a s/w anywhere as much as I have this one. I mean, I use it multiple times on a daily basis.

One thing I have been meaning to do is learn/use my scanner for CD artwork. I think Oggy uses his quite a lot for missing artwork. But anyway, I doubt much will be happening until I finish off all of my Jazz rippings. I might be able to complete them by Xmas hopefully.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-19-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Was the CD Ripping tutorial you watched on You Tube, and was it for 'Illustrate', please?
    It's a blog post detailing how to set up Illustrate's CD Ripper. You're now well past the point of needing it.

I have not used the 'Music Conversion' s/w yet (I assume this is different from the 'Batch Converter' which I have used a couple of times).
    You assume correctly.

I have learnt, what I know so far, from asking questions (on here) and running the process over and over until I have drilled it into myself. Unfortunately, I am a slow learner.
    The important part is that you are learning. Testing strings using Music Converter as I described might speed up the process some since you can immediately see the results of any changes without waiting for CDs to rip. (And, for that matter, without creating any new files.) It certainly helped me.