title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, I agree, there really is a lot to be said, for keeping it simple. Less work, less scope for errors, and simpler naming, look neater, and better reflect the title on the CD.
    Oggy,

Well now I can see how almost ADDICTIVE this tagging malarkey can be! You can literally go one forever! Maybe one day they will invent a machine which can - correctly - key everything in for us!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Thanks Gary,

Well, this has kinda led onto somethin' else now!

And so, I am recently including the VENUE of where the concert/recording took place (in a self-created tag entitled: 'Performance').

Hence, track-1 reads:

Star_10.png

... and track-2:

Star_11.png

... and so forth.

I dare say that as expected, "<Various Performances>" correctly appears in the 'Meta-Data For All Tracks'?:

Star_12.png

But my main question is, please, what if I want to now add a 'Performance' tag to ALL of the 30 or so albums I have ripped to date?
    Can this extra data be added via PerfectTUNES?:

Star_13.png

Or do I have to re-rip them all over?!

Many thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-16-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    So you would only use the 'compilation' tag if the CD album was (say): "The Fabulous Hits of the 1960s"? (ie. this would be classed as a 'various artists' album).
    Correct.

I would like to consider the Miles "Star People" album as a non-compilation because I don't actually consider a mish-mash. Personally, I view it as being something like (pardon the ad hoc analogy!): lets say that The Beatles "Sergeant Pepper" recording was recorded in two locations, and in two different years. A studio in Germany in 1965, and a studio in London in 1966. So, even though Side-A and Side-B were recorded separately, the album, as a WHOLE, is ONE concept album.
    I really wouldn't get bogged down with individual recording session/live dates. As you know, these may be more than 1 year and are mostly never published.

FYI, the only dates I am concerned with are the original album release date and the re-issued/re-mastered album release date, as mentioned here: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

I have noticed that (over the past couple of weeks), dBpa assumes the CD is a compilation (checking the box automatically) if: the CD was recorded on many different dates (as in "Star People"), and when the CD features a 'guest artist' (eg. "Dolly Parton featuring Kenny Rodgers").
    No, this is not correct (i.e. for different dates).
    I already mentioned this here, also: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)
    Compilation is automatically set only if the artist tag differs on a CD.
    Last edited by mville; 08-16-2017 at 08:37 PM. Reason: fixed links

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe one day they will invent a machine which can - correctly - key everything in for us!

Paul
    The poor machine would go BOOM! after trying to decipher all the differences in tagging preferences and available tagging data.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    The poor machine would go BOOM! after trying to decipher all the differences in tagging preferences and available tagging data.
    Oggy,

Well now I can see how almost ADDICTIVE this tagging malarkey can be! You can literally go one forever! Maybe one day they will invent a machine which can - correctly - key everything in for us!

Paul
    Hi Paul,

As has been suitably hinted at by Jailhouse, I do believe that you have gone from a very lean naming scheme, a week ago, where nearly everything you wanted, was keyed in for you, to creating a whole load of extra work. Of course you have choices to do this, and only you know, if the extra work is worth the effort.

My Led Zeppelin, The Song Remains The Same, was another infamous example, as literally one line of lyrics, or, a few notes of a solo, was edited, from multiple performances.

Strawberry Fields Forever, is another well known example.

Good luck!

Oggy

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Gary,

Well, this has kinda led onto somethin' else now!

And so, I am recently including the VENUE of where the concert/recording took place (in a self-created tag entitled: 'Performance').

Hence, track-1 reads:

Star_10.png

... and track-2:

Star_11.png

... and so forth.

I dare say that as expected, "<Various Performances>" correctly appears in the 'Meta-Data For All Tracks'?:

Star_12.png

But my main question is, please, what if I want to now add a 'Performance' tag to ALL of the 30 or so albums I have ripped to date?
    Can this extra data be added via PerfectTUNES?:

Star_13.png

Or do I have to re-rip them all over?!

Many thanks.
    There are hundreds of tags you might add. You probably need to quit your job and work 12 hours a day to actually do the work to sort all that out, but I guess it is a hobby that will keep you out of trouble.
    p.s. If you're interested in venue, why not use the VENUE tag rather than PERFORMANCES. Sometimes this is available in the online metadata databases.

Regarding adding tags. First and foremost you should understand that one NEVER needs to re-rip CDs in order to edit/change/add tags. Tagging can always be changed post ripping. This is not what you would do with PerfectTunes (or at least I've never used it for that). Rather, you can edit tags album by album or track by track by simply going to windows explorer, highlighting all the tracks in the album or a single track then right clicking and selecting "Edit ID Tag". From there you can edit or add any tags you want.

There are also ways to do "Batch Editing" as well. In this case you would use dbpa batch converter. You'd run that, then select the files you are interested in editing, then for the "convert to" instead of choosing a CODEC such as mp3 or FLAC, you'd instead choose the option of ID TAG UPDATE (You may need to install that utility dsp from CODEC CENTRAL). Then within the settings for that you can do all sorts of things about tags.
    Last edited by garym; 08-17-2017 at 07:44 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I really wouldn't get bogged down with individual recording session/live dates. As you know, these may be more than 1 year and are mostly never published.

FYI, the only dates I am concerned with are the original album release date and the re-issued/re-mastered album release date, as mentioned here:

You may want to consider using 2 date tags. One populated with original release/recording date and one populated with the CD release date. FYI, I use Year to hold the original release/recording date and Release Date to hold the CD release date. Your choice of what the date tags contain, may be dependant on the server/player software you use.
    No, this is not correct (i.e. for different dates). I already mentioned this here, also:
    RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)
    Compilation is automatically set only if the artist tag differs on a CD.
    Hi mville,

I started, as you kindly suggested, using: YEAR and RELEASE YEAR a couple of weeks ago thanks. And I am pleased I did. But, now that I have progressed a little with dBpa etc, a few other ideas popped up recently. I think the reason for me wanting to include the different dates on a recording stems from the fact that I used to study LP covers religiously to glean info. And even thought I disliked the small dimensions of a CD cover, I still used to try and read it fro cover to cover. And so - for me - not knowing the dates is going to irritate me I can safely predict. Incidentally, I have round that researching/cross/referencing details with the likes of Wiki is proving to be quite interesting!

Thanks for clarifying the 'compilation' issue. I must have gotten cross-wires when running my experiments.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    As has been suitably hinted at by Jailhouse, I do believe that you have gone from a very lean naming scheme, a week ago, where nearly everything you wanted, was keyed in for you, to creating a whole load of extra work. Of course you have choices to do this, and only you know, if the extra work is worth the effort.
    Oggy,

Yes, it IS more work - I admit. But I feel it is worthwhile because I am interested in the HISTORY of music (Jazz); as well as having studied the life/work of Miles Davis for over 30 years. And, of, course, I will get quicker at typing everything in as time progresses.

Thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    There are hundreds of tags you might add. You probably need to quit your job and work 12 hours a day to actually do the work to sort all that out, but I guess it is a hobby that will keep you out of trouble.
    p.s. If you're interested in venue, why not use the VENUE tag rather than PERFORMANCES. Sometimes this is available in the online metadata databases.

Regarding adding tags. First and foremost you should understand that one NEVER needs to re-rip CDs in order to edit/change/add tags. Tagging can always be changed post ripping. This is not what you would do with PerfectTunes (or at least I've never used it for that). Rather, you can edit tags album by album or track by track by simply going to windows explorer, highlighting all the tracks in the album or a single track then right clicking and selecting "Edit ID Tag". From there you can edit or add any tags you want.

There are also ways to do "Batch Editing" as well. In this case you would use dbpa batch converter. You'd run that, then select the files you are interested in editing, then for the "convert to" instead of choosing a CODEC such as mp3 or FLAC, you'd instead choose the option of ID TAG UPDATE (You may need to install that utility dsp from CODEC CENTRAL). Then within the settings for that you can do all sorts of things about tags.
    Cheers Gary,

Well, you are correct in that adding more tasks to ones ripping is going to add more time and effort. But I am actually not in any kind of mad rush to get the job done. If I only manage to rip (say) 2 CDs per day, and it takes 6 months to a year to complete everything, then so be it.

Thanks for pointing out the 'Venue' tag. I shall substitute 'Performance' for this.

It this how/where you would edit the tags of any incorrect pre-ripped CDs, please?

Edit_Tag.png

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I think the reason for me wanting to include the different dates on a recording stems from the fact that I used to study LP covers religiously to glean info.
    Yes indeed, one of the beauties of vinyl.

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary,

I was not able to find the 'venue' tag within dBpa?

Cheers.

Venue_2.png

Venue_1.png

dBpoweramp Guru

I was not able to find the 'venue' tag within dBpa?
    No, it is not one of the pre-defined tags in dBpa, but you are still able to create your own tags.

Try adding the Venue tag in CDRipper, rip the CD and notice it will appear, when you use Edit ID-Tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    No, it is not one of the pre-defined tags in dBpa, but you are still able to create your own tags.

Try adding the Venue tag in CDRipper, rip the CD and notice it will appear, when you use Edit ID-Tag.
    Hi mville,

OK, thanks. I must have misunderstood Gary's reply. I thought he meant it was already a 'preset' tag in dBpa.

I already have the concerts/recording-studio locations saved as a custom-made tag: 'Performance', and so I may as well just keep it as that. No point in re-configuring just for the sake of having it under a different tag name. Had 'Venune' have been pre-defined, then I may have switched over.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-17-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I already have the concerts/recording-studio locations saved as a custom-made tag: 'Performance', and so I may as well just keep it as that. No point in re-configuring just for the sake of having it under a different tag name. Had 'Venune' have been pre-defined, then I may have switched over.
    I believe garym is suggesting that, although there is no standard tag yet, for the venue/performance info, it might be a good idea to adopt the one i.e. Venue, that is beginning to proliferate in the online metadata databases.

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary,

Well, you are correct in that adding more tasks to ones ripping is going to add more time and effort. But I am actually not in any kind of mad rush to get the job done. If I only manage to rip (say) 2 CDs per day, and it takes 6 months to a year to complete everything, then so be it.

Thanks for pointing out the 'Venue' tag. I shall substitute 'Performance' for this.

It this how/where you would edit the tags of any incorrect pre-ripped CDs, please?

Edit_Tag.png

Paul
    yes. Correct