title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Asset Advanced Options

Asset Advanced Options

Hi Spoon,

I love the way iTunes logic works and would love for Asset to have more option settings to better mimic iTunes.

Personally, I don't care for the A to Z selection feature. I find it distracting on Kinsky iPad. It would be nice if you were able to select none as one of the options.

I really like that iTunes displays album art when navigating "artist" instead of a generic folder icon. The visual image registers quicker with me than the text of the artist name does. In iTunes, when choosing to look through the "artist" view, it displays a random album cover from an artist that you have more than one album from. And of course the single album art from the artist you have only one album from. This is very helpful because of the visual communication of familiar album art. All of the artist categorized in alphabetical order so your experience is still a smooth one. Familiar images in alphabetical order makes random searching much easier and more fun. I can sort of recreate this effect with Asset by selecting "Album/Artist" and then select "All Albums". All the album art displays but there's one problem. It displays in alphabetical order using the "album title", not "artist name". Is there a way to have the option of how you wish "All Albums" are displayed? It would also be nice to have random art work show up under the "Genre". In fact, I think random art work should be an option over generic folder icons. This way, it looks like you have a "music" collection instead of a "file" collection. For me it's not just about the great sound quality I get using the Linn DS but the user experience I get with the control as well. I mentioned in a different post that I am a retailer of the Linn DS. Having a system that works the way I described above would help in my sales with the Linn DS and of course sell more Asset licenses.

Finally, I know I'm reaching for this one but when having a large music collection, it's really nice to use a "smart random play" feature like iTunes Genius. Not sure what it would take to incorporate a plug-in that would aid in making this happen. I know you can do it with Songbird's player so I figure you should be able to do it with Asset. But I'm no programmer so what do I know.

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Cheers,

Devin
    Last edited by devind; 08-08-2011 at 12:53 PM.

Administrator

Re: Asset Advanced Options

You can disable A to Z, in Asset configuration, select 'Artist / Album' and uncheck the A to Z option at the bottom.

Is it possible to have album art, cover art or a jpg of the artist show up while browsing folders? It could be very easy, just put a folder.jpg in a directory and asset will put that image as the icon of the upper folder. Can we have that?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can disable A to Z, in Asset configuration, select 'Artist / Album' and uncheck the A to Z option at the bottom.
    Oh. That's cool. Now if I could just see album art instead of icons the world would be a better place.

Hello Spoon,
    I'm a new user of Asset UPNP. I just moved from Synology & Twonky 4.9 to WHS2011 & Asset UPNP.
    As I've seen and used Twonky alot, here are my suggestions:

I'd suggest to implement a [ALL] drawer within every drawer so the check / uncheck "Display All" and "No Track Listing" options are obsolete.

Perhaps I did not understand how this can be configured, I read on the display on any playing device only the time the song hast been playing. Is it possible to show the complete playing time and the time/point where the actual song is beeing played?

In the playinglist, selecting "genre" for example, the songs are listed using Artist & Album Artist in the playlist. If there is an Artist and the album is a compilation I'd like to decide what I want to be shown / selected.

Thanx a lot
    It's a great software!

Mike

Administrator

>Is it possible to show the complete playing time and the time/point where the actual song is beeing played?

This is for the player to do, a upnp server has no control over such.

> If there is an Artist and the album is a compilation I'd like to decide what I want to be shown / selected

Decide how?

>>Is it possible to show the complete playing time and the time/point where the actual song is beeing played?

>This is for the player to do, a upnp server has no control over such.
    You're right. I meant that playing music using asset upnp all my players only show the time spent within each track.
    Playing music using Twonky my players also show me the length of the track and the time spent within each track. This can be toggeled to show remaining time.
    Is it possible to enhance the stream that the players can show those info as well?

>> If there is an Artist and the album is a compilation I'd like to decide what I want to be shown / selected

>Decide how?
    More concrete: Within a compilation with "VA" or "Various Artists" the "Album Artist" does not give me any help for a selection of that track. IF there is a track "Artist" within the tag this only should be used.

I hope this describes it better

Administrator

>Within a compilation with "VA" or "Various Artists" the "Album Artist"

This is a bad way of signalling a compilation CD, instead you should set the compilation flag to 1

What is your audio player?

Smile Re: Asset Advanced Options

>>Within a compilation with "VA" or "Various Artists" the "Album Artist"

>This is a bad way of signalling a compilation CD, instead you should set the compilation flag to 1

>What is your audio player?
    You're right. The compilation flag is set to 1 as well. Using Album Artist "VA" or "Various Artists" illustrates the problem.
    If it's a compilation (using the compilation flag :D) AND there's a valid entry for the Artist only the Artist should be used for parsing/browsing the library. If anybody thinks this is a bad idea, perhaps this could be worth some kind of a option button.

I mostly use Hifidelio w/ SW Release 2.3.28. But as well my smart TV from Samsung, a WLAN radio called SONOS or the Nokia N810.