title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you submit tags to a database?

Re: How do you submit tags to a database?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Paul, I think you're actually submitting AccurateRip results every 24 hours. This is NOT tag metadata. To submit to tag database, one clicks on the SETTINGS menu item, chooses "Active Providers" and then at the bottom of the dropdown menu there is "submit changes to" freedb. This would submit your manually entered tag data to freedb database.
    This worked great! Thank you.

There is some really bad classical tagging on FreeDB. In general I find GD3 and MusicBrainz to be superior when it comes to classical.

I am guessing because FreeDB is the only option to submit changes to that it is the only database that has the option to allow user submitted tags? I see that Discogs has to be edited on their website (a clunky interface), GD3 is a premium service and MusicBrainz is also web only. Is that correct?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by staxSR007 View Post
    This worked great! Thank you.

There is some really bad classical tagging on FreeDB. In general I find GD3 and MusicBrainz to be superior when it comes to classical.

I am guessing because FreeDB is the only option to submit changes to that it is the only database that has the option to allow user submitted tags? I see that Discogs has to be edited on their website (a clunky interface), GD3 is a premium service and MusicBrainz is also web only. Is that correct?
    I believe you are correct on updating databases. But I've never tried to do this with anything other than the freedb.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you download MusicBrainz Picard, I believe you can use it to send metadata updates to MusicBrainz, but not through dBpoweramp. I think you can also get metadata to some pre-ripped cd's via fingerprints, but if you have an obscure music library like I do, most of your music isn't in their database.

I don't believe FreeDB handles composers at all. They use a the slash (/) as a delimiter between fields which makes a mess of artists like AC/DC. If you go to their website, you can access their database directly. There you can see why there are serious issues. Very limited metadata. And of course crowd sourcing leads to QC issues.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    If you download MusicBrainz Picard, I believe you can use it to send metadata updates to MusicBrainz, but not through dBpoweramp. I think you can also get metadata to some pre-ripped cd's via fingerprints, but if you have an obscure music library like I do, most of your music isn't in their database.

I don't believe FreeDB handles composers at all. They use a the slash (/) as a delimiter between fields which makes a mess of artists like AC/DC. If you go to their website, you can access their database directly. There you can see why there are serious issues. Very limited metadata. And of course crowd sourcing leads to QC issues.
    Yes, If one really cares about metadata, a manual approach is required. With my collection (very little classical), I'm typically good about 90% of the time with Track names, artist, album name. And this includes many small label type artists. But even here, I typically have to fix the year, the genre, and many times even the album title (sorta correct, but not exactly right). Composers are always hit and miss. Typically missing, and if not, often wrong. Nothing beats a careful review of all of the tags at ripping time and manually fixing then at that point.

And from what I gather, if one cares about classical tagging, it becomes an almost 100% manual process.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, If one really cares about metadata, a manual approach is required. With my collection (very little classical), I'm typically good about 90% of the time with Track names, artist, album name. And this includes many small label type artists. But even here, I typically have to fix the year, the genre, and many times even the album title (sorta correct, but not exactly right). Composers are always hit and miss. Typically missing, and if not, often wrong. Nothing beats a careful review of all of the tags at ripping time and manually fixing then at that point.

And from what I gather, if one cares about classical tagging, it becomes an almost 100% manual process.
    Popular music is fairly rigid, Artist /Album and as you say, most of the metadata accurate.

With classical, if 10 people name one CD, I would be surprised if you didn't get 10 different variations, as orchestras and composer names are added to the artist and/ or album names - most of the metadata is still based around Artist / Album.

Alternative spelling of composer's names, pieces with possibly, English, Italian, German naming: yes, the names you want may well be in one of the providers metadata, but editing is probably essential, the choices almost limitless.

For the enthusiasts who have multiple versions with same / different conductors, orchestras, soloists, locations, and performances, finding a format that works, will certainly require 100% editing, and, good planning.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Alternative spelling of composer's names, pieces with possibly, English, Italian, German naming: yes, the names you want may well be in one of the providers metadata, but editing is probably essential, the choices almost limitless.

For the enthusiasts who have multiple versions with same / different conductors, orchestras, soloists, locations, and performances, finding a format that works, will certainly require 100% editing, and, good planning.
    Hi Oggy,

I have not started ripping my 'Classicals' yet; I am saving them until last! And so I am not sure which, or how many, tags I shall be using.

Regarding the SPELLING of European names, I have actually broken consistency here - I am not sure if this will matter? Some artists names (which were pre-completed [correctly!] by Freeb, etc) contained italics (call them what you may) above certain letters. Dots, dashes, and all that ... . I chose to keep these. But when they were not pre-completed, I had no idea how to achieve the same grammar (because I don't even know if you can get them on a UK/English PC). You probably can, but you may have to change language or use ALT-GR? Anyway, I just typed in the normal English letters.

A good example of this is (the wonderful!) Stan Getz's and Joćo Gilberto collaboration (featuring Brazilian compositions by Antōnio Carlos Jobim):

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-04-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Oggy,

I have not started ripping my 'Classicals' yet; I am saving them until last! And so I am not sure which, or how many, tags I shall be using.

Regarding the SPELLING of European names, I have actually broken consistency here - I am not sure if this will matter? Some artists names (which were pre-completed [correctly!] by Freeb, etc) contained italics (call them what you may) above certain letters. Dots, dashes, and all that ... . I chose to keep these. But when they were not pre-completed, I had no idea how to achieve the same grammar (because I don't even know if you can get them on a UK/English PC). You probably can, but you may have to change language or use ALT-GR? Anyway, I just typed in the normal English letters.

A good example of this is (the wonderful!) Stan Getz's and Joćo Gilberto collaboration (featuring Brazilian compositions by Antōnio Carlos Jobim):

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I've just gone to Wiki, or somewhere online and used copy / paste.

Yes, wonderful album: I like Astrud's vocals, too.
    Last edited by Oggy; 01-04-2018 at 05:25 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've just gone to Wiki, or somewhere online and used copy / paste.

Yes, wonderful album: I like Astrud's vocals, too.
    Oggy,

I kinda wish I had used copy&paste from the offset, but it was not until I was half way through ripping my 'Jazz' CDs that I realised the discrepancies. If I could wind the clock back I would have put them all in. I don't think it affects the searches in Foobar though (ie. Joćo Gilberto vs. Joao Gilberto).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I kinda wish I had used copy&paste from the offset, but it was not until I was half way through ripping my 'Jazz' CDs that I realised the discrepancies. If I could wind the clock back I would have put them all in. I don't think it affects the searches in Foobar though (ie. Joćo Gilberto vs. Joao Gilberto).

Paul
    Paul,

Have you run PerfectTUNES?

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul,

Have you run PerfectTUNES?
    Yes, I always run it for AccuateRip every so often.

dBpoweramp Guru

Some artists names (which were pre-completed [correctly!] by Freeb, etc) contained italics (call them what you may) above certain letters. Dots, dashes, and all that ... . I chose to keep these. But when they were not pre-completed, I had no idea how to achieve the same grammar (because I don't even know if you can get them on a UK/English PC). You probably can, but you may have to change language or use ALT-GR? Anyway, I just typed in the normal English letters.
    Go to your Windows Start menu. Under Windows Accessories, you'll find the utility program Character Map, which show all the characters in the font you're using, including those with diacritical marks. The UI is a bit wonky, but essentially you can copy the letters you need from the utility and paste them where they belong.

I do sometimes use copy and paste from online sources as Oggy suggests, but when I'm correcting "normal English letters" () in tags populated from online databases or entering information from a CD booklet it's quicker and easier for me to find the characters I need using Character Map.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Go to your Windows Start menu. Under Windows Accessories, you'll find the utility program Character Map, which show all the characters in the font you're using, including those with diacritical marks. The UI is a bit wonky, but essentially you can copy the letters you need from the utility and paste them where they belong.

I do sometimes use copy and paste from online sources as Oggy suggests, but when I'm correcting "normal English letters" () in tags populated from online databases or entering information from a CD booklet it's quicker and easier for me to find the characters I need using Character Map.
    Thanks Jailhouse,

I found it now.

I never knew about this, but there again I have never had any need for it until now.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Jailhouse,

I found it now.

I never knew about this, but there again I have never had any need for it until now.
    Many a thing in Windows magically appears when (a) you need it, and (b) someone tells you about it.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 01-05-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Extraneous letter