title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Removing Leading and Trailing Whitespaces From a Tag Field

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Mass Removing Leading and Trailing Whitespaces From a Tag Field

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleImagery View Post
    I use SoundCheck on both of my devices. Is that what you're referring to?

Do you have any recommendations for media players other than iTunes that could utilize these ReplayGain tags?
    That's it: Soundcheck. I use foobar2000 MOBILE app on my iphone/ipad as a player (it can use the RG tags). Then I can load up files (even FLAC files) on these devises using TuneFusion (another dbpoweramp product). I use it to do conversions from FLAC to mp3 on the fly for just albums I'm loading up on my iDevices.

But, the SOUNDCHECK approach *should* work for you. Are you saying it doesn't work? Are you sure you are seeing these tags being written to your files (look at file properties. The soundcheck tag is something like ITUNNORM XXXX, or COMMENT ITUNNORM. That has the soundcheck info.

also, for a player on a windows machine, regular foobar2000 is a great player.
    Last edited by garym; 09-11-2020 at 02:40 PM.

Administrator

I am attempting to apply ReplayGain encoding to 75,000 songs (usually played in iTunes) in dBpoweramp's batch converter using the [ReplayGain] encoding. I'm using Track, Album Gain & iTunes Track Normalization with Albums Identified By as "All Files in Same Folder", "ReplayGain" as the Gain Calculation, Maximum Gain at 25 dB (although I'm unsure about this setting), "Disable Clip Prevention" unchecked, and "Preserve Data Modified Time" checked.

In addition to the "dBpoweramp unexpectedly quit error", the encoding also didn't finish. It got to the last song and just was stuck there and never showed me the Results screen.
    When doing album replaygain, the album gain tags are written after the last track, if your files are on a network share and doing 75K files it could take a very long time to finish.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    When doing album replaygain, the album gain tags are written after the last track, if your files are on a network share and doing 75K files it could take a very long time to finish.

try running in smaller batches.....A thru D, E thru H, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    That's it: Soundcheck. I use foobar2000 MOBILE app on my iphone/ipad as a player (it can use the RG tags). Then I can load up files (even FLAC files) on these devises using TuneFusion (another dbpoweramp product). I use it to do conversions from FLAC to mp3 on the fly for just albums I'm loading up on my iDevices.
    I'm jealous of Windows users because Foobar2000 is exactly what I'm looking for. The app for iOS looks promising though and so I'm going to give it a try. Do you know if it supports rating and 'loving' (iTunes/iPhone feature)?

But, the SOUNDCHECK approach *should* work for you. Are you saying it doesn't work? Are you sure you are seeing these tags being written to your files (look at file properties. The soundcheck tag is something like ITUNNORM XXXX, or COMMENT ITUNNORM. That has the soundcheck info.
    Soundcheck with dBpoweramp's ReplayGain encoding works most of the time but I've noticed that occasionally there are some tracks that are noticeably quieter or louder than the average track. The tags are being written to ITUNNORM XXXX and COMMENT ITUNNORM but as I explained to Spoon the encoding process didn't display a Results screen and all of the ITUNNORM/COMMENT ITUNNORM tags have leading whitespaces. I found a way to remove the whitespace with Jaikoz (haven't figured out how to perform this function with dBpoweramp or PerfectTunes yet) and as a result the volume normalization seems to be effective. For some reason the ITUNNORM XXXX and COMMENT ITUNNORM tags are replicated in the Comments section in iTunes, do you think I can safely delete them without affecting the ReplayGain?

The files are on my local drive. Everything seemed to complete just fine since I didn't find any empty ITUNNORM/COMMENT ITUNNORM fields. This is the first time the encoding hasn't shown a Results screen (normally it does after a few hours of waiting). If the encoding didn't show a results screen could that be problematic or is that just a minor bug?

Administrator

The encoder quit? so you do not see the process on the screen?

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm jealous of Windows users because Foobar2000 is exactly what I'm looking for. The app for iOS looks promising though and so I'm going to give it a try. Do you know if it supports rating and 'loving' (iTunes/iPhone feature)?

Soundcheck with dBpoweramp's ReplayGain encoding works most of the time but I've noticed that occasionally there are some tracks that are noticeably quieter or louder than the average track. The tags are being written to ITUNNORM XXXX and COMMENT ITUNNORM but as I explained to Spoon the encoding process didn't display a Results screen and all of the ITUNNORM/COMMENT ITUNNORM tags have leading whitespaces. I found a way to remove the whitespace with Jaikoz (haven't figured out how to perform this function with dBpoweramp or PerfectTunes yet) and as a result the volume normalization seems to be effective. For some reason the ITUNNORM XXXX and COMMENT ITUNNORM tags are replicated in the Comments section in iTunes, do you think I can safely delete them without affecting the ReplayGain?
    leading white space sounded odd, but then I checked some of my mp3 files. The iTunNorm field also has a leading white space. And these iTunNorm values weren't created by dbpa. They were created by mp3tag (based on the ReplayGain values). So the leading white space is not something unique to dbpa. However, when I go to iTunes, and open any of these mp3 files, iTunes is properly reading the iTunNorm information and showing the soundcheck volume modification correctly (when I look at file info within itunes). So there is no need to remove the leading white space iTunes is reading the info correctly.

Not sure why you are seeing the soundcheck info in two places. iTunNorm is in fact a COMMENT tag, and the file can have multiple comment tags I think. So perhaps it is just a function of the program you are using to view tags. Are you seeing both iTunNorm and that info in Comment tag when you use dbpa to look at file and tag info?

dBpoweramp Guru

I can't recall whether the app supports loving. It does support rating. But I don't use either function. Also, keep in mind that replaygain/soundcheck, etc. is not perfect. It works very well for volume normalization most of the time, but there will be tracks/albums that still stand out as too loud/quiet. This is more likely to happen if you have albums with lots of dynamic range (classical) or albums so "hot" (loud) that even volume normalization doesn't quite lower the volume enough. I'm no expert on the algorithm used by ReplayGain or Soundcheck.

dBpoweramp Guru

Excuse me for getting away from the OP's issue, but a couple of comments on using the EBU R128 standard for volume normalization. While it works fairly well with a lot of material, be aware you are using it to do things for which it was never designed. It was designed to simply solve the problem of "loud commercials" in TV broadcasts. They were usually "loud" because they were heavily compressed, little dynamic range (on purpose, by the ad agencies). TV audio processing, particularly in the analog TV era depended on peak limiters to prevent overmodulation. Hence the average "volume" (which to some degree is what the ear hears) of peak normalized heavily compressed audio will always sound "louder" to our ears than the average volume of wide dynamic range peak normalized audio. This is particularly true if part of the wide dynamic range is rare or occasional momentary loud peaks.

The various TV loudness standards are all based on RMS or average volume, not peak volume, so right there they will, within their limitations, provide more constant volume for different source material.

But remember: These standards were developed and tested for TV audio, mostly dialog, not music. They were developed to monitor, and in some cases process audio, not to calculate a "tag" to post-process the audio in a consumer "player", and that creates serious issues with "peaky" high dynamic range material. And they were a pretty crude simulation of human perception of loudness. There is almost no control of psychoacoustic effects, just some mild EQ in the sidechain. (So the screaming barker, even at lower level, will often sound louder than the soft, sweet host.) Finally, this was a "political" solution, to mollify regulatory agencies being flooded with consumer complaints, not a carefully developed technical solution. "Quick and dirty."

Every true compliant TV production loudness processor, either hardware or software, includes a peak limiter, so if the loudness must be increased it "limits" any peaks which would exceed the specified peak level it is set for. But since most, if not all consumer players don't include such limiters, and since the volume normalization gain adjustment is applied in the player, increasing the volume may cause clipping distortion in the consumer's player. To prevent that, the dBpa normalize tag calculation algorythm examines the file for the highest peak and will not allow the volume normalize tag to contain a value that would increase that peak above 0dBFS (the clip point) in the consumer player.

Therefore "peaky" material (most commonly classical and some jazz, but too often these days poorly mastered pop music, will often play back much "softer" than the less peaky recordings.

I've decided that, for my portable (car and headphone) listening, to give up on using the volume normalize tag, and take all the ripped un-normalized tracks and batch process them through one of my professional audio volume normalize plug-ins (which include high quality, fairly inaudible limiters) and create a second master directory of tracks where the audio has been processed and then saved to be at a constant loudness that works with my players. The major issue I have now is that my most used professional audio software strips out all the tags when opening and then saving the files, making the results useless for my players.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have DBPoweramp 17.2 and am running 10.15.7 on a 2019 MacBook Pro. DBPoweramp isn't letting me select multiple folders (in Batch Converter) anymore. What should I do?
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 09-28-2020 at 02:16 PM.

When trying to tag 75,000 songs with ReplayGain, I kept getting the message "DBPoweramp quit unexpectedly" but it didn't actually quit. I just clicked "Ignore" and the same message would intermittently pop up every 2-3 hours.

leading white space sounded odd, but then I checked some of my mp3 files. The iTunNorm field also has a leading white space. And these iTunNorm values weren't created by dbpa. They were created by mp3tag (based on the ReplayGain values). So the leading white space is not something unique to dbpa. However, when I go to iTunes, and open any of these mp3 files, iTunes is properly reading the iTunNorm information and showing the soundcheck volume modification correctly (when I look at file info within itunes). So there is no need to remove the leading white space iTunes is reading the info correctly.

Not sure why you are seeing the soundcheck info in two places. iTunNorm is in fact a COMMENT tag, and the file can have multiple comment tags I think. So perhaps it is just a function of the program you are using to view tags. Are you seeing both iTunNorm and that info in Comment tag when you use dbpa to look at file and tag info?
    I recall a discussion you had with another person on here regarding leading whitespace on iTunNorm tags which is what lead me to my post but I didn't have any luck in finding the old discussion. It was probably years ago but the main point of the original poster was that the leading whitespace was not getting detected by iTunes' Sound Check. Are you certain that a leading whitespace won't disrupt the Sound Check process?

I'm now getting the 'DBPoweramp unexpectedly quit' error message even with smaller batches.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 13.26.23.jpg

Super Moderator

I'm now getting the 'DBPoweramp unexpectedly quit' error message even with smaller batches.

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 13.26.23.jpg
    Please click "report" button in the window, copy all the problem details info and post here.
    Thanks.