title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: The concept of profiles in Batch Convert

dBpoweramp Guru

Question The concept of profiles in Batch Convert

Hey Spoon,

I have the feeling that I don't understand the concept of profiles in Batch convert. Maybe you can give me an idea.

I thought that the profiles are meant to be an equivalent concept to the profiles in CD Ripper. A profile is a set of parameters with an user defined name, which I can save, edit, delete and reuse when ever it's neccessary. I.e. if I load a CD in CD Ripper I can switch to a stored profile and assign the stored paramaters to the next rip. So far, so good.

But what is the idea in Batch Converter ? If I select a folder in windows file explorer, right click and choose "dBpoweramp Batch Converter", the Batch Converter starts and the folder is selected. But if I now select a formerly stored profile, dBpoweramp changes the folder and file selection to the one that have existed when the profiles has been saved. That confuses me. I've expected Batch converter just to restore the saved conversion parameters, but not the old folder and file selection. Did you want Batch converter to work that way?

Dat Ei

Administrator

Re: The concept of profiles in Batch Convert

The profiles for Batch Converter specifically are for the inclusion or exclusion of files. If you want just codec + dsp profiles, these can be done later on in Music Converter.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ah, now I see, that was the missing link! I have overlooked the possibility to create profiles in Music Converter, profiles which do not include informations about file and folder selections. That's what I need for the case I've edited metadata of my source flac files and I want to convert them to different sets of target formats. Perfect!

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Spoon,

now I know, why I have "overlooked" the possibility of managing profiles in Music Converter. While I see the delimiter followed by the entries "create profile" and "delete profile" in the dropdown box on my Windows 7 Pro computer, I don't see those on my Windows 10 computer. Any idea?

Dat Ei

PS: Problem solved! This option has to be activated in the control center! Don't know why it was activated on the Win7, but not the Win10 computer. Changes in the default?
    Last edited by Dat Ei; 09-15-2016 at 03:37 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    now I know, why I have "overlooked" the possibility of managing profiles in Music Converter. While I see the delimiter followed by the entries "create profile" and "delete profile" in the dropdown box on my Windows 7 Pro computer
    Can you tell me where they are? Or even better, show a screenshot.

I don't see them.

Attachment 1105

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Oops. Please ignore that. I see the feature was added in R16, the version after mine. I've now upgraded.

Re: The concept of profiles in Batch Convert - review? Edit? Document?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
    Oops. Please ignore that. I see the feature was added in R16, the version after mine. I've now upgraded.
    Hello Spoon,

First, thank you so much for creating and supporting the dBpoweramp suite of applications. dBpoweramp has served me well over many years. I used it, initially with a Kodak robot, to rip what was then approximately 4,000 CDs we had collected over the years and subsequently another thousand or so CDs, individually, that we have purchased since. Our library is currently a little less than 50K flac tracks.

I do not understand the distinction between “Music Converter” and “Batch Converter.” Will you explain please?

I’m using Release 16.4 [64-bit] on a Windows 10 system. I was in the process of producing MP3 equivalents of the library tor use in the car. That job was projected to require two days and was 75% complete when I hit the pause control. (I thought the profile I had created limited CPU cores to 7 of 8, but I saw that 8 were being used. Use of all 8 cores slowed other processes on the PC such that I had to pause.) I intended to resume conversion after the pause.

I was unable to determine how to resume conversion. My failure probably had to do with other actions (that I do not recall) that I took related to the input or output directories.

After pause, what is the correct method to resume conversion?

What actions should I avoid while paused?

From the above discussion, I take it that the Music Converter and Batch Converter each have their own profiles. I do not recall what I configured in each of those profiles. I want to review them before restarting the bulk conversion and hope to be able to edit the profiles if that is possible.

Is it possible to edit the Music Converter and the Batch Converter profiles?

If possible, where are they located, and how do I open them for review and possible edit?

If not possible, will you offer a profile documentation method such that existing settings may be captured and used in the future for creation of a new profile?

Thanks again,
    -mike

Administrator

If you create a new profile, the settings are automatically saved for that profile.

Batch converter allows you to select folders, music converter is run individually (from Convert To right click), or by Batch Converter.

Question Re: The concept of profiles in Batch Convert - review? Edit? Document?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you create a new profile, the settings are automatically saved for that profile.

Batch converter allows you to select folders, music converter is run individually (from Convert To right click), or by Batch Converter.
    Thank you Spoon,

Yes, I understand that a new profile saves the settings for that profile.

The problem is that having created the profile, I do not remember what the settings are.

1 - How can I review the settings for an existing profile?

2 - How can I use an existing profile as the basis for a refined profile?

3 - If neither of the above is possible, do you have a recommendation on how to capture profile settings while creating that new profile to serve as external documentation for review of an existing, or creation of a new and refined, profile?

4 - Alternately, is seem that one must start each new profile from scratch. Correct?

Thank you,
    -mike

Administrator

The settings are visible in the program when a profile is selected. There is no option to reuse existing settings of a profile when creating new.

After pause, what is the correct method to resume conversion?

Administrator

Press the pause button again.

nOObie here...I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around the concept of creating profiles in Batch Convert.
    For example, I would like to create a profile that consists of the following parameters:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

You would have to enable profiles here:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/Help/dMC/dMCConfig.htm

Enable Profiles in Converter when checked places a menu item [Create New Profile] into the 'Converting To' encoder selection menu within the Music Converter Menu, to create a profile based on the current encoder. This allows encoder settings and DSP effects to be saved when the same encoder is used with different settings commonly (such as mp3 Lame at 320kbps CBR and mp3 Lame -v5) and fast switch between them.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I see this forum has lost my attachment. It now shows this fail https://i.imgur.com/VAyeyIG.png .

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjj View Post
    Can you tell me where they are? Or even better, show a screenshot.

I don't see them.

Attachment 1105