title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burst rip selected single track(s)?

Burst rip selected single track(s)?

Occasionally I will have tracks that just fail to rip. As a fallback last chance option, what can I do to just get what I can? If the track is playable, it should be rippable, should it not?

Apparently switching to "burst mode" might work, but how to I select to use burst mode on just one track, without mucking up the settings I normally use for all tracks? I've finally got my Accurate/Secure setting about how I like them, don't want to mess that up.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Burst rip selected single track(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by wallewek View Post
    Occasionally I will have tracks that just fail to rip.
    Can you be more precise, i.e. what happens when you have tracks that just fail to rip? Are there any error messages?

Yes, this is not the usual inaccurate or insecure rip. The exact error message is:

"Error ripping to FLAC, 'Track 14' to 'O:\OneDrive\Music on OneDrive\Rips\FLAC\Various Artists\Celtic Twilight, Vol. 1\14 Bill Douglas - Deep Peace.flac'
    Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 245094 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 245305) [clRipperSecure::Rip]"

It plays from beginning to end of track without obvious error.

Like I said, it's just the one track, I don't want to go mucking up all my settings for just the one.
    Last edited by wallewek; 10-14-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Administrator

Unable to read cd is where the cd drive returns no data at all for that section of the disc, either your disc is badly damaged, or the cd drive is not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Unable to read cd is where the cd drive returns no data at all for that section of the disc, either your disc is badly damaged, or the cd drive is not very good.
    Thanks Spoon, but... hear me out, please.

As I stated previously, I can play the track, and it sounds fine. So the track must be readable to some extent.

If I were to guess, it seems as though the track might be truncated, shorter than expected, and rather than save what it got (probably over 99% of the track), the software just errors out. Maybe it makes a difference that it is the last track on the CD, even though it's not a full CD.

I don't know if there's a way to do a last-chance ignore-errors grab-what-you-can-get fallback mode for ripping, but such a thing could be handy eh?

--- KW

dBpoweramp Guru

I can play the track, and it sounds fine. So the track must be readable to some extent.
    That doesn't mean the disc is error free.

If I were to guess, it seems as though the track might be truncated, shorter than expected, and rather than save what it got (probably over 99% of the track), the software just errors out. Maybe it makes a difference that it is the last track on the CD, even though it's not a full CD.
    Sorry, I'm confused by the above statement.

If C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection is enabled, try disabling it.

Have you tried ripping the CD in another drive?
    Last edited by mville; 10-15-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Thanks, yes, I have multiple drives, two types, but all (even the best) get the same error.

I'll try the C2 thing when I find it. Is there any way I can turn it off for a single track rip without messing with permanent settings?

dBpoweramp Guru

The C2 Error Pointers for Error Detection setting is per drive, found in CD Ripper Options > Secure Settings.

I don't seem to be able to access that option. It's greyed out.
    The docs say something about "Reference required". I do have a "Reference Registered" status.

Administrator

Run dBpoweramp Control Centre, it will show the status of the registration status.

I did. It's fully registered. Please see above. I'll try attaching a screenshot.
    Capture.JPG

EDIT: Here's a second screenshot, of what I see for C2.
    I tried a Detect on one CD drive, BTW. It changed the cache size but didn't change the grey-out. I have two different types of drives, does that matter?

Capture2.JPG
    Last edited by wallewek; 10-16-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Administrator

At the end of that options page is 'communication' it needs to be on SCSI Pass through (SPT)

for c2 pointers and alike to work.

Thanks Spoon, SPT did the trick! I didn't even have to turn on C2, and it was able to get a Secure read of that wacky track! I'm looking forward to seeing how accuracy works for other CDs now.

BTW, I tried SPT + C2 for comparison, it ran extremely slowly on that same troublesome track. 15 minutes or so, just for pass 1 on that single 3:23 track, and it errored out. Speed showed as x0.3. Ugh! I think I'll turn C2 off.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    At the end of that options page is 'communication' it needs to be on SCSI Pass through (SPT)

for c2 pointers and alike to work.
    Wow! I turned on SPT and my rip accuracy improved sharply! 40 CDs and virtually zero error so far. The one disk I had trouble with, I gave a quick swipe with isopropyl and switched drives, and it completed cleanly.

I have to suggest that SPT be somehow more prominently recommended or even default.

Thanks for your help!

dBpoweramp Guru

Wow! I turned on SPT and my rip accuracy improved sharply! 40 CDs and virtually zero error so far. The one disk I had trouble with, I gave a quick swipe with isopropyl and switched drives, and it completed cleanly.

I have to suggest that SPT be somehow more prominently recommended or even default.

Thanks for your help!
    That's always been the default on my setups. I've never had to change *to* SPT after the fact.