title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Do I really need to be concerned that a colon has been (automatically) replaced by a semi-colon within the folder-name?
    No. It is completely a non issue.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mville
      It isn't windows changing characters, it is what you have set in CD Ripper >> Menu >> CD Ripper Options >> Filename restricted characters

This has no effect on your tags.
      Cheers mville,

You mean in here?:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Filename.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	293876
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 03:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
        No. It is completely a non issue.
        OK, thanks Garym.

I suppose, at the end of the day, it is only going to be myself looking at the file-locations on my HDs. As long as I know what they mean I dare say that is all what matters.

As stated, if I try to RENAME them (ie. folders) then I get the error pop-up:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	illegals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	293877
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• schmidj
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2013

Hi, yes it is the restricted character list that actually prevents the filename from attempting to contain the "illegal" character and changes it to the "legal" character of your choice. As Mville says, this only affects the filename, not the tag. If you edited the restricted character list to not include a Microsoft Windows illegal character and then used it in a data entry that was part of your naming scheme, you'd get an error message from Windows. For everything you never wanted to know about Windows file and directory names, read https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx

Linux has its own rules, somewhat different, and if you store your file on a Linux NAS you'll need to follow those rules also. Similar for the Mac.

Don't forget that the actual filename is really instructions to the operating system as to what to do with a file when writing it, or where to find it when reading it. The fact that it may contain somewhat human readable text is only incidental to its main purpose. Tags, on the other hand are often intended to be readable text to describe some aspect of the "essence" to which the tag refers to us humans (or in some cases to software which we may be running.)

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Thanks John,

To be honest, I think I am just going to leave it be. It's no longer really an issue for me due to everyone explaining the nature/reason behind such protocol.

Paul

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Cheers mville,

You mean in here?:
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]2065[/ATTACH]
              Yes.

The link in schmidj's post is also a very useful reference here and I suggest user's bookmark it. Not only does it list the reserved characters, but it also includes a list of filenames to avoid, under the Naming Conventions section.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Yes.

The link in schmidj's post is also a very useful reference here and I suggest user's bookmark it. Not only does it list the reserved characters, but it also includes a list of filenames to avoid, under the Naming Conventions section.
                OK, thanks mville. I will screenshot it ...

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Hi,

I wanted to ask, please: is it possible for me to call-up all of the CDs which have a CONDUCTOR tag? So, some type of SEARCH command which will bring up only those CDs which contain a CONDUCTOR tag.

I ask because if this is possible, then I am going to rename my CONDUCTOR tags which contain 'von'/'van' etc. Because my conductors are not listed in ARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST, they do not seem to appear in a search. I have many CONDUCTOR tags across jazz and classical genres.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

• mville
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2008

I wanted to ask, please: is it possible for me to call-up all of the CDs which have a CONDUCTOR tag? So, some type of SEARCH command which will bring up only those CDs which contain a CONDUCTOR tag.

I ask because if this is possible, then I am going to rename my CONDUCTOR tags which contain 'von'/'van' etc. Because my conductors are not listed in ARTIST or ALBUM ARTIST, they do not seem to appear in a search. I have many CONDUCTOR tags across jazz and classical genres.
                    I use MP3Tag, load my entire library and in the filter use %conductor% MATCHES "\sv\ln\s"
                    Last edited by mville; 03-30-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

I use MP3Tag, load my entire library and in the filter use %conductor% MATCHES "\sv\ln\s"
                      Thanks mville,

I will need to look into this.

I d/l MP3Tag a while back, but have just not gotten around to using is as yet (due to the ongoing time consuming chore of FLAC ripping). I am assuming, although it is called 'MP3' that the s/w will serve FLACs? This may be a discussion for another thread though (trying to abide by forum rules).

btw - there was an UPDATE (Mp3tag v2.87a).

Paul
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-30-2018, 06:19 PM. Reason: extra info

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Thanks mville,

I will need to look into this.

I d/l MP3Tag a while back, but have just not gotten around to using is as yet (due to the ongoing time consuming chore of FLAC ripping). I am assuming, although it is called 'MP3' that the s/w will serve FLACs? This may be a discussion for another thread though (trying to abide by forum rules).

btw - there was an UPDATE (Mp3tag v2.87a).

Paul
                        Yes, mp3tag handles flac and many filetypes. V287a is a beta version.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                          Yes, mp3tag handles flac and many filetypes. V287a is a beta version.
                          Cheers Garym.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi,

I am currently ripping a CD:
                            "Schoenberg, Webern, Berg, City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Simon Rattle - Orchestral Works"

Because the CD features the works of 3 composers, I am making it a 'compilation'. My rule of thumb is that if the album features one or more different ALBUM-ARTIST, then it is a 'compilation'.

However, I am not sure what to type into the actual album title, please? Up until now, for my classicals, there has only been 1 composer per album and so the album title will look, typically, like:
                            Bach: 24 Preludes & Fugues
                            Stockhousen: Kontakte

I only include the surname of the composer (at the start of the album title) because - as previously discussed - such an inclusion is warranted with the CLASSICAL genre. But, as stated above, the CD I am ripping has 3 composers (or ALBUM-ARTISTS):

And so, how, please, should I tag the album title in this instance?:
                            Schoenberg; Webern; Berg; Orchestral Works
                            Schoenberg; Webern; Berg: Orchestral Works
                            Schoenberg, Webern, Berg: Orchestral Works

Many thanks,

Paul
                            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-12-2018, 04:14 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Hi again,

And if I may use this opportunity to pose another question in relation to the same (above) album, I am trying to fathom out the RECORDING SESSION YEARS. On the CD and also the Discogs page, the text states:
                              "Recorded XII.1987 & IV.1988"

I am really unsure as to how to interpret this (month/track/year?), please.

Cheers.
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-12-2018, 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2016

I am trying to fathom out the RECORDING SESSION YEARS. On the CD and also the Discogs page, the text states:

"Recorded XII.1987 & IV.1988"

I am really unsure as to how to interpret this (month/track/year?).
                                I interpret it as month/year, i.e., December 1987 and April 1988. Quite an odd notation, but hey, options!

Comment

Working...

]]>