title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripping for SONOS

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping for SONOS

Quote Originally Posted by ROrser View Post
    Your earlier response encouraged me to try Burst for a few more CDs. I got 3 or 4 with ALL tracks marked Accurate.
    I hope that answers your question.
    Richard
    but why not set to ultrasecure. With this setting, if the CD you rip matches in ACCURATERIP, then it does the equivalent of a simple burst rip and is very fast. But if it doesn't match, then it does its secure ripping steps (multiple passes needing a certain number of matches). All automated.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just what I wanted to know. Thank you.
    Would that program also allow me to add metadata to flac files I created long ago with Audigy?
    Sure...you should be able to open and edit any .flac file that way.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    but why not set to ultrasecure. With this setting, if the CD you rip matches in ACCURATERIP, then it does the equivalent of a simple burst rip and is very fast. But if it doesn't match, then it does its secure ripping steps (multiple passes needing a certain number of matches). All automated.
    +1

Ultra-secure is very "smartly" implemented....there's really no reason not to use it.

Well, that sounds great, but it has not been my experience. Ripping in Burst mode takes under 4 minutes, while i have yet to rip a disk in Secure mode in less than 40 minutes even when all tracks come out showing Accurate. AND, I have tried ripping the same CD with Burst and Secure, and have gotten fewer errors with Burst on several occasions.
    Could I have some other setting that is making this happen?
    I am using C2 (I believe that is what it is called) set since when I did the damaged disc test, it said I had C2 capability.
    When I choose Burst, what other settings, tests, etc. are bypassed?
    Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by ROrser; 04-02-2015 at 08:02 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, that sounds great, but it has not been my experience. Ripping in Burst mode takes under 4 minutes, while i have yet to rip a disk in Secure mode in less than 40 minutes even when all tracks come out showing Accurate. AND, I have tried ripping the same CD with Burst and Secure, and have gotten fewer errors with Burst on several occasions.
    Could I have some other setting that is making this happen?
    I am using C2 (I believe that is what it is called) set since when I did the damaged disc test, it said I had C2 capability.
    When I choose Burst, what other settings, tests, etc. are bypassed?
    Thanks, Richard
    something is not right on your end for sure. In ultrasecure (and I am referring to "ultrasecure" NOT "secure"), if there is an accuraterip match, the rip takes 3 - 4 minutes max.

edit: and all sorts of things are skipped/not checked if you are using only burst mode. If one only uses burst mode, you are bypassing much of what makes dbpa so good.

something is not right on your end for sure. In ultrasecure (and I am referring to "ultrasecure" NOT "secure"), if there is an accuraterip match, the rip takes 3 - 4 minutes max.

edit: and all sorts of things are skipped/not checked if you are using only burst mode. If one only uses burst mode, you are bypassing much of what makes dbpa so good.
    I certainly understand, and am confused as well. Attached is a screen shot of my Options page; perhaps this will give a clue.
    Also, I Enabled ULTRASECURE on page 2 of Options and set it for 1;2;1 (Min,Max,End..)
    Surely, there is a setting set that is making all my non-burst rips take so long. Any ideas?
    And, why for goodness sakes, would I sometimes get LESS errors using Burst than using Secure?
    Thank you, Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

Disable c2 pointers, your drive is not correctly functioning with them.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Disable c2 pointers, your drive is not correctly functioning with them.
    Keep in mind that just because it may be reported that a drive works with C2, it still may not work corrrectly with C2. On some of my drives I've had to disable C2 for the ripping to work correctly.

Thanks, Guys,
    I am ripping much faster now without C2. Surely was the problem.
    Now that I have disabled C2, do I need to alter any of my other settings?
    And, how is it possible that I got more errors with C2 than without? I can understand why it would be slower with a malfunctioning C2, but more errors??
    Thanks, Richard

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks, Guys,
    I am ripping much faster now without C2. Surely was the problem.
    Now that I have disabled C2, do I need to alter any of my other settings?
    And, how is it possible that I got more errors with C2 than without? I can understand why it would be slower with a malfunctioning C2, but more errors??
    Thanks, Richard
    I don't know the technical details, but I've read that it relates to the interaction of a drive's C2 implemention and how dbpa works. I can say that I've seen at least two drives (that supposedly support C2) produce NOTHING but errors until the C2 was unticked in dbpa settings.

Crazy! Might I need to modify any of my other settings now that I have unticked C2?

dBpoweramp Guru

Crazy! Might I need to modify any of my other settings now that I have unticked C2?
    I assume you've seen this:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

Key info for ultrasecure setup:

1. If your drive does not support C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2
    2. "no brainer" is to set cache as 1024KB.
    3. Clear Read Cache with FUA is an option which can quickly clear the cache, it should only be used on compatible Plextor drives (the older true Plextors). Otherwise, don't tick this option.
    Last edited by garym; 04-04-2015 at 07:04 PM.

I assume you've seen this:
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm

Key info for ultrasecure setup:

1. If your drive does not support C2 pointers, set as Minimum Ultra Passes: 2 Maximum Ultra Passes: 4 End After Clean Passes: 2
    2. "no brainer" is to set cache as 1024KB.
    3. Clear Read Cache with FUA is an option which can quickly clear the cache, it should only be used on compatible Plextor drives (the older true Plextors). Otherwise, don't tick this option.

Yes, I read that, but I also found somewhere in the dbpa instructions (Advanced section?) to use a different setting if C2 is not supported. It was 3 min; 6 max; 2 end. So, that is what I have been using. Think it might make a difference? Your recommendation, Guru? Spoon?

BTW, can you tell me how to change the name of an album label AFTER it is ripped?
    Thank you, R

dBpoweramp Guru

BTW, can you tell me how to change the name of an album label AFTER it is ripped?
    Thank you, R
    select all songs in the album, right click, choose EDIT ID TAG, then in the popup change the name of the Album (or the artist) or any other tag edits.