title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    And so, how, please, should I tag the album title in this instance?:

Schoenberg; Webern; Berg; Orchestral Works

Schoenberg; Webern; Berg: Orchestral Works

Schoenberg, Webern, Berg: Orchestral Works
    I like the second one (Schoenberg; Webern; Berg: Orchestral Works). The semicolons separate the artists from one another, whereas commas could be interpreted as a collaboration among the three. The colon separates them all from the (pretty darn generic) title.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I interpret it as month/year, i.e., December 1987 and April 1988. Quite an odd notation, but hey, options!
    JH,

Yes, it is rather odd. I have never seen this type of notation before.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

I like the second one (Schoenberg; Webern; Berg: Orchestral Works). The semicolons separate the artists from one another, whereas commas could be interpreted as a collaboration among the three. The colon separates them all from the (pretty darn generic) title.
    OK, great. I will go with option 2.

But what should I type within the ALBUM-ARTIST field, please? Do I just leave it blank (because the CD is a 'compilation'); or would you use all 3 composers names (ie. so the ALBUM-ARTIST will be all 3 names for every track - even though they are not [each]) on every track); or would you use:

(tracks 1-5) ALBUM-ARTIST = Schoenberg

(tracks 6-11) ALBUM-ARTIST = Webern

(tracks 12-16) ALBUM-ARTIST = Berg

If damn classical is not tricky enough, it's a pickle when it's also a 'compilation'!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-12-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, it is rather odd. I have never seen this type of notation before.
    This is rather odd?

A design decision, yes, although in my opinion not unsophisticated--it's just there,...
    Why is this not sophisticated too?

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

But what should I type within the ALBUM-ARTIST field, please? Do I just leave it blank (because the CD is a 'compilation'); or would you use all 3 composers names (ie. so the ALBUM-ARTIST will be all 3 names for every track - even though they are not [each]) on every track); or would you use:

If damn classical is not tricky enough, it's a pickle when it's also a 'compilation'!
    I agree about using option 2.

Paul, who is your Artist?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I agree about using option 2.

Paul, who is your Artist?
    Thanks Oggy; I am sweating on this one mate!

I have, for ARTIST:

(tracks 1-5) ARTIST = Arnold Schoenberg; City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

(tracks 6-11) ARTIST = Anton Webern; City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

(tracks 12-16) ARTIST = Alban Berg; City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

My convention is that the COMPOSER always precedes the ORCHESTRA (and I have an ORCHESTRA tag also).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I have no idea what I would do with that. I expect it will be different to your methods.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have no idea what I would do with that. I expect it will be different to your methods.
    Hi,

Inputting no ALBUM ARTIST tag produces these results (in foobar) - so the same album appears 5 times (ie. under 3 composers, orchestra and soloist):

Inputting the term "Various Artists" into the ALBUM ARTIST tag (which I have done on my Jazz, Pop, and Country CDs) produces this (which I actually like); though I am not sure if this methodology would qualify as being correct?:

And using:

ALBUM ARTIST = Berg; Schoenberg; Webern; City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra

... produces the same as example 1, albeit without the inclusion of the SOLOIST (Arleen Auger), for obvious reasons:

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-13-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Inputting the term "Various Artists" into the ALBUM ARTIST tag (which I have done on my Jazz, Pop, and Country CDs) produces this (which I actually like); though I am not sure if this methodology would qualify as being correct?
    There is no standard to adhere to; if it's useful to you and you like it, then it should qualify as correct as far as you're concerned. You're the one who is going to live with it.

Where do the "Abc" and "Def" in front of some of the album name instances come from, and what is their purpose?

dBpoweramp Guru

There is no standard to adhere to; if it's useful to you and you like it, then it should qualify as correct as far as you're concerned. You're the one who is going to live with it.
    OK, cheers JH. As you know, I have been ripping classicals for less than one month and so I like to double-check on things as I go along. I am kinda breaking new ground every 5 or 6 CDs.

Where do the "Abc" and "Def" in front of some of the album name instances come from, and what is their purpose?
    Full marks for observation! I saved the 3 Schoenberg/Berg/Webern CDs to the same parent-folder (and used temporary prefixes so as not to overwrite). I wanted to be able to exactly compare and contrast in foobar, as well as providing, here, effective screenshots.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I am ripping the William Byrd CD:

The default album title reads:

Mass For Four & Five Voices

Would you use the above as the album title, please? I ask because I am thinking it may be more grammatically correct to write:

Mass For Four & Mass for Five Voices

I am guessing that the following might be a little too long and unnecessary (although I quite like this one!):

Mass For Four Voices; Mass For Five Voices

And that there is no such term as 'Masses':

Masses For Four & Mass for Five Voices

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-17-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    I looked at the Discogs images for the CD and noticed that the thin edge has "Masses For Four & Five Voices", which is what I would use. This might make it easier to find if you need to locate the CD months from now.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    I looked at the Discogs images for the CD and noticed that the thin edge has "Masses For Four & Five Voices", which is what I would use. This might make it easier to find if you need to locate the CD months from now.
    Thanks Gary,

Oh really?; I would never have considered using/investigating as the what the spine states. I have only ever gone by what the front-cover says (with the exception of substituting a '&' for 'and').

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    I usually go by the front cover too. The album name from the image of the front cover at Discogs didn't match what Discogs provided for the album name. Therefore I decided to look at the other images to determine which one was correct, and in this case the spine had another name. I also did a Google search on the barcode and that is the title I found. Although some used "and" instead of the ampersand. It is your collection, so use what you like best.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    I usually go by the front cover too. The album name from the image of the front cover at Discogs didn't match what Discogs provided for the album name. Therefore I decided to look at the other images to determine which one was correct, and in this case the spine had another name. I also did a Google search on the barcode and that is the title I found. Although some used "and" instead of the ampersand. It is your collection, so use what you like best.
    Thanks Gary,

I appreciate your digging around.

To throw a slight spanner into the works - if I may - all of my classic album-titles (I am almost certain) comprise of every (or a large proportion of) track-name(s) on the CD. This does seem to be common place in the classical world. I mean, there are not as many classical album-titles with a unique name (as you see in [say] 'Pop' music):

"Evolutions"

"Black Magic"

"Just Around The Corner"

... or whatever.

The classical CD titles tend to be generic:

"Beethoven Symphonies 1 & 5"

And so, with the William Byrd CD, I think I would like to maintain my legend of using the track-names to form the album-title. However, in such instances as the above, do you adhere to the ORDER as per how the tracks appear on the CD:

Mass For Four Voices; Infelix Ego; Mass For Five Voices

Or, do you list in order of importance/magnitude (if you know what I mean), please?:

Mass For Five Voices; Mass For Four Voices; Infelix Ego

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-17-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling