title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Conversion of AAC files (reports file corrupt)

Conversion of AAC files (reports file corrupt)

Could you advise?

I'm trying to convert aac files to mp3. The file were radio broadcasts, so once contained in an flv, but they just aac files.
    I can listen to them fine in VLC etc, and I can convert them to mp3 fine using other tools such as wmconverter.

When I used dbpoweramp 12.4 ref (my registered version) I get
    Error: Unable to load decoder for file type '.aac', codec not installed? visit 'Codec Central'.

When I use the trial of 15, I get
    Error: aac audio file is corrupt. [aacstream::clAAC::Decodeblock]

The files may well not be in a perfect state, but is there anything I can do to get dbpoweramp to convert them. I'd more than happily purchase V15, but at present it can't convert the files. The great thing about dbpoweramp is the batch convertor being able to go through a folder tree and replicate the structure converting everything to mp3. If it could deal with these files that would be super.

I can upload sample file if that helps.

thanks!

Re: Conversion of AAC files (reports file corrupt)

I should be clear, too, the files I'm converting are not FLV files. I've used FLV Extract which makes a good job of taking the original file out of the FLV without re-encoding it. In the cases of concern, the files are aac.

dBpoweramp Guru

Are you unable to use them as .aac files? (I.e., does your intended player not support the format? I think the .aac files extracted from flash containers is usually, HE-AAC.....perhaps you could post a sample.) The reason I ask is that converting lossy-to-lossy is generally a bad idea and to be avoided unless really necessary. If you can use them as-is, that'd be preferable since it avoids additional quality loss, and also circumvent these conversion issues.

I know recoding lossy isn't a great a idea - but the quality really doesn't matter for these radio recordings. Let's say decoding them to wav is fine. The main problem is that dbpoweramp just can't understand the aac files.

OK, easiest thing to do is to grab a 2 minute news update from the bbc. I have just done that, it contains AAC. I've zipped it and attached to this. Do you get the same result?

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by charliemouse View Post
    I know recoding lossy isn't a great a idea - but the quality really doesn't matter for these radio recordings. Let's say decoding them to wav is fine. The main problem is that dbpoweramp just can't understand the aac files.

OK, easiest thing to do is to grab a 2 minute news update from the bbc. I have just done that, it contains AAC. I've zipped it and attached to this. Do you get the same result?

Thanks!
    Your attached file plays fine as AAC file (in my foobar2000), but in trying to convert with dbpa to either mp3 (lame) or FLAC, I get the following error:

Error aac audio file is corrupt. [aacstream::clAAC::DecodeBlock]

thanks for confirming garym.

Is there a way to let Spoon know about it to see if it might be fixed in a future release?

Much of BBC content is AAC, and as such dbpoweramp can convert nothing of it, so I imagine it must effect a few people. I'd be surprised if it didn't other sites aac streams too.

dBpoweramp Guru

The problem is the input file. The error message comes up even for a pure test conversion.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

thanks for confirming garym.

Is there a way to let Spoon know about it to see if it might be fixed in a future release?

Much of BBC content is AAC, and as such dbpoweramp can convert nothing of it, so I imagine it must effect a few people. I'd be surprised if it didn't other sites aac streams too.
    He'll see this thread. Other AAC files I have can be converted with no problem. Something must be different about these AAC files. I do know that the BBC has changed many things about how they stream in the last few months. On the squeezebox players I use, all sorts of programming had to be done so that they could play BBC streams (something related to HLS AAC streams, which are not normal AAC files). I know this has created quite the headache for many, many BBC stream users. I suspect your issue is related. See this link:

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articl...%29-78221.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    The problem is the input file. The error message comes up even for a pure test conversion.
    Yes, definitely something about the files...

-The files play fine in VLC, foobar2000 etc
    -The files can be converted by other converters, I tried a couple
    -dbpoweramp, unfortunately, is the only program that can't convert them. Big shame, as it is far in a way my favourite for converting whole directories (plus I own a licence etc).
    - .... and dbpoweramp converts some test aac's i tried.

My hope was that it could be fixed to deal with all the files it presently finds problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    ... Something must be different about these AAC files. ...
    Yes, definitely the case. I've had the same problem with AAC files for a few years, so it's possible it isn't to do with a change. One thing which may help Spoon in reproducing this, and spotting the issue (and confirm the files are as close the original stream as possible):

The live stream was captured with wmrecorder.
    The aac was extracted from the flv container with flvextract, V2.2.1.1. This doesn't recode / and not set to remux etc - it just extracts the AAC or mp3 or whatever it contains directly.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, definitely the case. I've had the same problem with AAC files for a few years, so it's possible it isn't to do with a change. One thing which may help Spoon in reproducing this, and spotting the issue (and confirm the files are as close the original stream as possible):

The live stream was captured with wmrecorder.
    The aac was extracted from the flv container with flvextract, V2.2.1.1. This doesn't recode / and not set to remux etc - it just extracts the AAC or mp3 or whatever it contains directly.
    Hopefully Spoon will be able to see something technical about the file from the file sample you posted.

Administrator

We have an updated m4a codec, download the x64 if you have 64 bit dBpoweramp, x86 for 32 bit, unzip and copy to the Decoder\ folder overwriting existing.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/m4a-x64.zip
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/m4a-x86.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    We have an updated m4a codec, download the x64 if you have 64 bit dBpoweramp, x86 for 32 bit, unzip and copy to the Decoder\ folder overwriting existing.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/m4a-x64.zip
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/m4a-x86.zip
    Super! The beta m4a handles all the aac files perfectly!

Word of note to anyone upgrading theirs... I might be wrong, but I think the 64bit/32bit refers to the OS, not the actual dbpoweramp software:
    I tried the 32 bit version first, because dbpoweramp was installed to Program Files (x86). Didn't work. The 64bit worked fine.

Thank you, Spoon! dbpoweramp (reference) is once again my never-failing, go-to, audio converter!

I am getting this error:
    Error converting to Wave, 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx\Aa.aac' to 'C:\Users\xxx\Music\New folder\Aa.wav'
    Error aac audio file is corrupt. [aacstream::clAAC::DecodeBlock]

The source file can be converted using VLC but I have lots of file of same type to be converted.
    Source file prop:
    ----------------------------
    General
    Complete name : F:\Saved\D2D BkUp ZZ\myPhone\Me\N8\Nokia Belle Tones\Aa.aac
    Format : ADTS
    Format/Info : Audio Data Transport Stream
    File size : 97.1 KiB
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Album : Nokia
    Track name : Aa
    Performer : Nokia

Audio
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : HE-AACv2 / HE-AAC / LC
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Channel(s) : 2 channels / 1 channel / 1 channel
    Channel positions : Front: L R / Front: C / Front: C
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 94.9 KiB (98%)
    -----------------------
    Artist Nokia
    Title Aa
    Album Nokia
    Track
    Disc
    Genre
    Year
    Rating
    Composer
    Size 98 KB (98% Compressed)
    Original Size 3.48 MB
    Length 19 seconds
    Channels 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate 48 KHz;
    Bit Rate 40 kbps
    Encoder (Header: ADTS)
    Encoder Settings
    Audio Quality Low (Lossy)
    Contains ID Tag [APEv2 & ID3v2.3 & ID3v1.0]
    Channel Mapping
    File Aa
    Type AAC Audio File [.aac]
    ----------------------
    I tried this driver "http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/m4a-x64.zip", same error.

Please help.

Administrator

Send the file please:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

with reference to this thread.