title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Using ID Tag Processing/[ID Tag Update] for Multi-Disc Tagging of Folders & Metadata

Using ID Tag Processing/[ID Tag Update] for Multi-Disc Tagging of Folders & Metadata

Hello again,

I'm trying to update my ID Tag Processing and ID Tag Update to improve my multi-disc tagging but I'm having some difficulty regarding the first disc in a multi-disc album set. I'm also having trouble figuring out how to write to [Disc] from [Album] or a folder name when the [Disc] field is empty but the [Album] or folder name has a disc number.

For context:
    -I have 'Multi-CD Add Disc to Album' set to 'Never' and 'Pad disc number to 2 digits' & 'Disc number without disc count' disabled.

-I'm using about 100 Word/Character replacements to convert potential disc number names to my padded disc number. I don't know if this creates any conflicts but it seems like it shouldn't.

Under Map, I'm 'name mapping' from [Disc], when available, to map a padded disc number to the [Album] field with the following expression:

Code:
    [MAXLENGTH]80,[album] [][IFMULTI][](Disc [SETLEN]2,48,,[disc][])
    Is it possible to also somehow write this disc number to the folder name if it's lacking a disc number?

So my other questions are: How do I write a disc number for the first disc in a multi-disc set that doesn't have a disc count? Is it possible to automatically add a disc count through the ID Tagging expressions?

How do I tag an empty disc and disc count from the album metadata and/or folder name?

Regards in advance,
    Audible
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 03-18-2023 at 01:56 AM.

Administrator

Re: Using ID Tag Processing/[ID Tag Update] for Multi-Disc Tagging of Folders & Metad

You should be able to have the same expression for the folder name.

Not sure it is possible to do the 2nd one, perhaps go off length? any disc which has a length less than 3 does not have a count, so if length is less than 2 pad / and if less than 3 pad '1':

2/3

Re: Using ID Tag Processing/[ID Tag Update] for Multi-Disc Tagging of Folders & Metad

After some thought, I think what I need to do is figure out how to write expressions that can check for certain values in sequence such as "if the album value doesn't have a disc number check the disc value and if the disc value doesn't have a value than check the folder name for said value. If the album value contains the word "disc' then don't add a disc number to the album title." I have no idea where to even begin with an approach like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You should be able to have the same expression for the folder name.
    Hey Spoon, here's an example of what happens when I try to convert and tag a file that doesn't have a disc number or disc count but has a disc number in the album title:

Attachment 3533

How do I prevent the disc from being written like this in this case (Disc 00) when there is no disc tag value? Also how do I prevent two separate disc tags from being written if there is already a disc in the album title?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Not sure it is possible to do the 2nd one, perhaps go off length? any disc which has a length less than 3 does not have a count, so if length is less than 2 pad / and if less than 3 pad '1':

2/3
    Hey Spoon, I'm sorry if I seem computer illiterate but I am unfortunately. How would I go about doing this? What would the expression be? I've tried implementing what you proposed in the above quote but was unable to figure anything out.
    Last edited by AudibleImagery; 03-18-2023 at 02:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I suggest you start with getting your disc tags consistent for all your audio files. Once the disc tags are populated correctly, then you can use utility codecs [ID Tag Update] and [Arrange Audio] to build you album tags and folder names.

Just to confirm, are you saying that ALL your multi-disc albums have correct values in both the disc number and disc total tags, but your single-disc albums have NO values in the disc number and disc total tags?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I suggest you start with getting your disc tags consistent for all your audio files. Once the disc tags are populated correctly, then you can use utility codecs [ID Tag Update] and [Arrange Audio] to build you album tags and folder names.

Just to confirm, are you saying that ALL your multi-disc albums have correct values in both the disc number and disc total tags, but your single-disc albums have NO values in the disc number and disc total tags?
    Hey mville,

What I'm saying is that I have a mixture of different files (roughly 15,000 songs in 1200 folders) with inconsistent metadata that I want to batch fix with tagging—some albums have disc numbers, some don't, some albums have disc numbers but no disc totals, some albums only have the disc number in the album tag, some only have it in the folder name, etc. I don't know how to approach the situation but my lofty idea was to see if there would be a way to write expressions in DBPoweramp that could check the metadata and use it to fill in certain blank fields.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleImagery View Post
    Hey mville,

What I'm saying is that I have a mixture of different files (roughly 15,000 songs in 1200 folders) with inconsistent metadata that I want to batch fix with tagging&*8212;some albums have disc numbers, some don't, some albums have disc numbers but no disc totals, some albums only have the disc number in the album tag, some only have it in the folder name, etc. I don't know how to approach the situation but my lofty idea was to see if there would be a way to write expressions in DBPoweramp that could check the metadata and use it to fill in certain blank fields.
    not sure about dbpa for this but mp3tag has ability to use regular expressions to extract info from tag fields and file and folder names. It handles most types of files, not only mp3. It has a very helpful forum as well.
    https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AudibleImagery View Post
    some albums have disc numbers, some don't, some albums have disc numbers but no disc totals, some albums only have the disc number in the album tag, some only have it in the folder name, etc.
    So, for some files there is no reference to disc number or disc total at all?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not sure about dbpa for this but mp3tag has ability to use regular expressions to extract info from tag fields and file and folder names.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    So, for some files there is no reference to disc number or disc total at all?
    Probably? For some of these files, which have been received from various sources, they don't even include a disc number or disc total (in other words, the fields are blank). In some cases the disc number is only mentioned in the folder or album name. There are a variety of scenarios because they're from a variety of sources.

dBpoweramp Guru

For those albums with no disc tags, you can easily sort and filter (view) in MP3Tag, for quick manual tagging.