title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

Having made the tagging changes to ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST etc:

... when I opened up Foobar to see the results, it was not quite what I anticipated (although the results may well be correct!).

I thought the album "The Enchantment" would fall under the (Foobar) ARTISTS of:
    Bela Fleck, Chick Corea and Bela Fleck, Chick Corea

In other words, I thought, in Foobar, there would be - on the left hand side in the ARTIST window - a:
    Bela Fleck, Chick Corea and Bela Fleck, Chick Corea

There has not been newly created Bela Fleck ARTIST (in Foobar) - though the ARTIST field was created within 'Edit_ID'. There is already a pre-existing Chick Corea ARTIST (in Foobar), however "The Enchantment" (album) does not appear when clicking on the artist (Chick Corea) name?

But, there IS, in the (Foobar) ARTIST window, a: Chick Corea, Bela Fleck, Chick Corea, Bela Fleck, Chick Corea, Bela Fleck, name. And when I click on it "The Enchantment" album appears. But, as I say, I kind of assumed that the album would show up in the pre-existing Chick Corea ARTIST name? It seems a bit strange for it not to. And that there would be a dedicated Bela Fleck ARTIST name so as to search for the album? Though having said this, this might be the way in which it is supposed to work.

Many thanks and I hope I have explained everything OK.

Paul
    I don't really have an answer. I'm not a foobar expert. Seems like it is as expected except I'd expect to see a Bela Fleck artist listing. But I don't ever use the left panel listings that you seem to use for navigation. I use the facets part to navigate (the 'album artist' listing in the middle of the screen in one of the "facets" boxes).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I don't really have an answer. I'm not a foobar expert. Seems like it is as expected except I'd expect to see a Bela Fleck artist listing. But I don't ever use the left panel listings that you seem to use for navigation. I use the facets part to navigate (the 'album artist' listing in the middle of the screen in one of the "facets" boxes).
    OK, thanks Gary.

I will have a check with your kind advice later on.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hi,

I experimented again this afternoon and came up with this:

As you can see, there are now only 2 ARTISTS (and same for ALBUM_ARTISTS). I have done away with both instances of: 'Chick Corea, Bela Fleck' (combo).

In Foobar, the album ("The Enchantment") now appears under Chick Corea and under Bela Fleck (ie. so it appears twice [once under each ALBUM_ARTIST], as you would expect).

In the left-hand ARTIST panel there is, listed, 'Chick Corea, Bela Fleck', and this is reiterated in the lower centre column.

To me, this method seems fine and I am happy with the way everything is displayed within Foobar. But I am not sure if it would meet the approval of other members on this forum? And so I wanted to ask, please: even if this working method is not something you would personally use (and it probably isn't!), then have I at least configured the tags correctly? I feel I understand the ',' and ';' meanings more than I did earlier in the week.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-06-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

As you can see, there are now only 2 ARTISTS (and same for ALBUM_ARTISTS). I have done away with both instances of: 'Chick Corea, Bela Fleck' (combo).

In Foobar, the album ("The Enchantment") now appears under Chick Corea and under Bela Fleck (ie. so it appears twice [once under each ALBUM_ARTIST], as you would expect).

In the left-hand ARTIST panel there is, listed, 'Chick Corea, Bela Fleck', and this is reiterated in the lower centre column.

To me, this method seems fine and I am happy with the way everything is displayed within Foobar. But I am not sure if it would meet the approval of other members on this forum? And so I wanted to ask, please: even if this working method is not something you would personally use (and it probably isn't!), then have I at least configured the tags correctly? I feel I understand the ',' and ';' meanings more than I did earlier in the week.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    It appears this works better. I'd go with this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    It appears this works better. I'd go with this.
    Nice one, cheers Gary. It took me quite a few goes but I think I have got it. I have not tested it out on my Amazon Fire yet though (in 'VLC'). Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-06-2017 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    This method makes more sense to me.

Fingers crossed, that it gives consistent results in VLC.

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm not sure I agree. Why does the OP have to be restricted to 2 artists? as in:
    Artist = Chick Corea; Bela Fleck

What is wrong with 3 artists? as in:
    Artist = Chick Corea and Bela Fleck; Chick Corea; Bela Fleck

dBpoweramp Guru

Why not 4 artists? I'm missing 'Bela Fleck and Chick Corea'.

That will be a fun with 3 or more involved artitst. Quiet a lot of permutations...

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post

That will be a fun with 3 or more involved artitst. Quiet a lot of permutations...
    I tend to keep artist to the published track artist and the individual artists.

e.g. Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure

So, Artist = Queen and David Bowie; Queen; David Bowie

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    This method makes more sense to me.

Fingers crossed, that it gives consistent results in VLC.
    Thanks Oggy, I appreciate you considering my alternatives. Yes, I need to test in VLC also. Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Why does the OP have to be restricted to 2 artists? as in:
    Artist = Chick Corea; Bela Fleck

What is wrong with 3 artists? as in:
    Artist = Chick Corea and Bela Fleck; Chick Corea; Bela Fleck
    Cheers mville, I experimented yesterday (with many permutations) and having 2 ARTISTS if fine for my needs. And I find I prefer the way Foobar handles this data. I use the ARTIST 'search' left hand panel more than anything. Plus, I only have about 10 CDs where there is a shared ALBUM ARTIST (and ownership of far less CDs than most people on here - circa 500 I think). Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Dat Ei, I did have: 'Bela Fleck & Chick Corea' originally (since August). But I decided, after much ripping, that I did not like this form. Hence I changed it to: 'Bela Fleck, Chick Corea'. And then yesterday, I decided to do away with the duo/combo entry altogether. Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017 at 09:15 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers mville, I experimented yesterday (with many permutations) and having 2 ARTISTS if fine for my needs. And I find I prefer the way Foobar handles this data. I use the ARTIST 'search' left hand panel more than anything. Plus, I only have about 10 CDs where there is a shared ALBUM ARTIST (and ownership of far less CDs than most people on here - circa 500 I think). Paul
    I'm not referring to your preference, which is of course, your choice. Rather the suggestion that foobar2000 cannot handle certain data. I use foobar2000 and it handles 1, 2, 3 artists and album artists etc. in the same way.

So, I am unclear as to what you mean by I prefer the way Foobar handles this data and I only have about 10 CDs where there is a shared ALBUM ARTIST

dBpoweramp Guru

You've understood my irony.

I tend to keep artist to the published track artist and the individual artists.

e.g. Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure

So, Artist = Queen and David Bowie; Queen; David Bowie
    It might not always be as simple as in this case. Let's take a very famous album as an example: 'Friday night in San Fancisco'.

On the front cover the order of the artists is 'Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia'. On the back cover it is 'John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia'. Track 4, 'Fantasia Suite' and track 5, 'Guardian Angel' 'is played by 'Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola'.

I think that the order of multiple artists is sometimes very random, or depends on the cover designer or or or... Nothing we should keep in mind to find our beloved tracks or albums. So separating each artist by '; ' and the use of database based players is the only way to go.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Let's take a very famous album as an example: 'Friday night in San Fancisco'.

On the front cover the order of the artists is 'Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia'. On the back cover it is 'John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia'. Track 4, 'Fantasia Suite' and track 5, 'Guardian Angel' 'is played by 'Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola'.

I think that the order of multiple artists is sometimes very random, or depends on the cover designer or or or... Nothing we should keep in mind to find our beloved tracks or albums. So separating each artist by '; ' and the use of database based players is the only way to go.
    I get your point entirely. Fortunately, I don't have many live albums with several guest artists/musicians but with classical music, artist can become a nightmare.

In these difficult/confused/random cases, single artist, conductor, orchestra, chorus, soloists etc. is also what I resort to.

Sadly, it is not a perfect (tagging) world.
    Last edited by mville; 10-07-2017 at 09:41 AM.