title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Quick Boxset Artwork Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question RE: Quick Boxset Artwork Question (help?)

Hi folks,

I have been meaning to ask this for a while.

If you have a (say) 3 CD boxset of which you, obviously, rip each disc (of which are placed in folders: 1, 2 and 3) then what criteria do you have for selecting the artwork, please? I would think that 99% of people choose the original CD front cover artwork for disc 1. For disc 2, I have been choosing an image of either the composer or the artist. But for disc 3, do you choose the original CD rear artwork? I ask because often this (design) is dull by comparison. And so, do people choose a completely different artwork to the original rear cover, please?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-17-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Quick Boxset Artwork Question (help?)

If the box is a collection of individual albums (such as a dozen Springsteen albums), I would used the correct album art for each CD in the box.

I generally used the box set image for all disks in a box set, if it's not individual albums. For instance, the complete recording sessions might have produced an album or two, but there may be several CDs of outtakes and alternate takes. Those are the sort of cases where I would just use the box art.

Mike

dBpoweramp Guru

If the box has individual albums plus some bonus disks of outtakes, demos, alternatives, etc., I use the original artwork for each album and then the box set cover artwork for the bonus disks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Quick Boxset Artwork Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    I generally used the box set image for all disks in a box set, if it's not individual albums. For instance, the complete recording sessions might have produced an album or two, but there may be several CDs of outtakes and alternate takes. Those are the sort of cases where I would just use the box art.
    Hi Mike,

So for a boxset of just out-takes and alt-takes you use the front cover of the CD boxset for all tracks (if they are all takes from the same album)?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-19-2018 at 11:13 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    If the box has individual albums plus some bonus disks of outtakes, demos, alternatives, etc., I use the original artwork for each album and then the box set cover artwork for the bonus disks.
    Hi Garym,

OK, thanks a lot.

My boxsets are (typically);

The Complete Miles Davis Bitches Brew Sessions

The Complete Miles Davis On The Corner Sessions

The Complete Miles Davis Jack Johnson Sessions

The Complete Miles Davis In A Silent Way Sessions

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I agree will everything that Mike and Gary have suggested.

This is an example:

IMG_20181020_072527.jpg

On your Miles Davis box sets, I would use the same image for all discs - life is too short!

Edit. The Andrew Gold boxset was actually 3 CDs, with two albums on the first two discs and the bonus tracks being the third. Some would not split these "twofers" down. The jukebox view in chronological order is simply my preferred method of display and choosing what to play: again these are purely personal preferences.
    Last edited by Oggy; 10-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Mike,

So for a boxset of just out-takes and alt-takes you use the front cover of the CD boxset for all tracks (if they are all takes from the same album)?

Cheers,

Paul
    Pretty much (but I'd be lying if I said I was 100% consistent on these things -- sometimes I just use whatever pops up).

Mike

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Thanks a lot.

You upload is still waiting approval?

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    Pretty much (but I'd be lying if I said I was 100% consistent on these things -- sometimes I just use whatever pops up).
    Cheers Mike,

My main reason for asking is because (in my experience) the REAR of a CD cover generally just offers the track-listing, and so is not particularly visually stimulating.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Slightly OT I know, but I thought I would save creating yet another thread for one question!

I have d/l a Keith Jarrett concert from You Tube which I had on cassette (in 1991) but lost it - and the concert was never released on CD, unfortunately (although it does say 'bootleg' in the below link):

I am trying to use the above image as ALBUMART for the ripped mp3, but for some reason it will not let me save it in Jpeg/PNG or similar? The source of the link is from Google Images (2nd image in) if that makes any difference):

When I save the image it has a Google Chrome icon, and I can not open in in Paint, etc?

Would anyone, please, be kind enough to see if they can d/l and convert it into a format so that I can use the image as ALBUMART? I would be very grateful as I have spent a couple of hours preparing the the tracks, and another 30 mins trying to fathom out converting the artwork?

Very much appreciated in advance.

Thanks,

Paul

(btw - For any Jarrett fans this is a seriously overlooked concert of which practically everyone I meet is not even aware of!)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-22-2018 at 11:28 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

the link is a html file. I did a screen capture of it as jpg. Download from link below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x94zetkleg...older.jpg?dl=0

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

What I did sometimes when I really needed an alternative cover for disc 2-3 etc and there was no appropriate one available: Then I just edited the main cover to a slightly different colour or saved it in greyscale. It was a last resort, but in some rare case it was the best I could do.

Monsterjazzlick, I grabbed the Keith Jarrett cover in its original size I think, 38kB. Let me know if you need it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    the link is a html file. I did a screen capture of it as jpg. Download from link below.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/x94zetkleg...older.jpg?dl=0
    That's great Garym,

I got it now!

So did you have to convert ot from html to JPeg?

Thanks very much indeed.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-22-2018 at 05:56 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    What I did sometimes when I really needed an alternative cover for disc 2-3 etc and there was no appropriate one available: Then I just edited the main cover to a slightly different colour or saved it in greyscale. It was a last resort, but in some rare case it was the best I could do.

Monsterjazzlick, I grabbed the Keith Jarrett cover in its original size I think, 38kB. Let me know if you need it.
    Cheers Vilsen,

That's very interesting as I had not thought of using 'greyscale' etc.

Yes, if you have the K.J. artwork in it's original size then I would be interested to see it, thanks. My ALBUMART is '1000 x 1000' wherever possible.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

By original size I meant that I downloaded the full picture at your link. It's 38kB, 600x600.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jp05d7igpe...02132.jpg?dl=0

Do NOT click on the picture itself, instead use the DL feature at the top right corner to get full size.