title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Wrong titles, wrong album

Wrong titles, wrong album

Trying to rip a CD, load it up - and dBpoweramp says it's a completely different album with a different name and a different set of tracks! Clicking Review Metadata does no good. I've played the album, and it is the one I think it is. But Poweramp insists it's a totally different album. iTunes has the right track titles, but that's not much good to me. Why is this happening? If iTunes can read the tags on the CD why can't Poweramp?

Administrator

Re: Wrong titles, wrong album

iTunes uses Gracenote,
    dBpoweramp uses: GD3, freedb, discogs and Musicbrainz

there will be discs which are miss shown in dBpoweramp and well as iTunes, because we use 4 databases then our error rate will be lower.

dBpoweramp Guru

This has happened to me occasionally. I just test the disc (as you did) and manually add the proper metadata if it's the CD it's supposed to be.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaxendale View Post
    Trying to rip a CD, load it up - and dBpoweramp says it's a completely different album with a different name and a different set of tracks! Clicking Review Metadata does no good. I've played the album, and it is the one I think it is. But Poweramp insists it's a totally different album. iTunes has the right track titles, but that's not much good to me. Why is this happening? If iTunes can read the tags on the CD why can't Poweramp?
    There are no tags on normal CDs. The way programs attempt to match a CD to the database are with track information such as length and sequence of the tracks. There can be instances where more than one CD gets this "fingerprint" and the software must either "guess" as to which CD it is or use operator intervention. Without exchanging a lot of data (such as raw CD music bits which would take a long time, use a lot of bandwidth/server storage, and be prone to errors) this is a reasonable alternative. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB for more info.