title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 becomes 1

2 becomes 1

Ripping Johnny Cash.
    Meta search finds 2 writers, artists, but when ripped only 2nd writer, artist is in the metadata.

I have a replacement set so that ; (a blight on the discogs search) becomes (in theory) a , on the filename.
    Could this have something to do with the losing name thing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 2 becomes 1

Just re-ripped but changed the ; to a , and everything transfered from the CD Ripper page to the Metadata correctly.
    Could be something to do with the ; replacement not working (or self setup) as it should.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator

When writing ';' then 2 tags are written internally, but not all players or software can read it correctly. You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; '

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    When writing ';' then 2 tags are written internally, but not all players or software can read it correctly. You can use the DSP effect 'ID Tag processing' there is an option there to keep '; '
    Could you take another run at your reply? It makes little sense to me.

I'll take a run at it...
    When writing ; (when what is writing ;?)
    Then 2 tags are written internally (what 2 tags and who and where internally?)
    players (not applicable, we're talking about external metadata)
    or software (read what correctly?)
    DSP to keep ;, I don't want to keep ; at all. Wasn't that clear?

Thanks...

Additionally, I just re-ran another test featuring the ; and any info before it is ignored when CDRipper writes the metadata.
    i.e., Bill Conti; The Notorious B.I.G.; Sean "Puffy" Combs; S. Jordan; J.C. Phillips (found when metadata is added in CD Ripper) BECOMES J.C. Phillips (in this case in the composer section)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flibbidy Gibbet View Post
    Could you take another run at your reply? It makes little sense to me.

I'll take a run at it...
    When writing ; (when what is writing ;?)
    Then 2 tags are written internally (what 2 tags and who and where internally?)
    players (not applicable, we're talking about external metadata)
    or software (read what correctly?)
    DSP to keep ;, I don't want to keep ; at all. Wasn't that clear?

Thanks...
    when using ";" to separate multiple artists when ripping or converting, dbpa creates separate tag fields for each artist.
    For example, if: Willie Nelson; Wynton Marsalis
    Then dbpa creates two separate artist tags (at least in some file formats...I see this in my FLAC files):

ARTIST: Willie Nelson
    ARTIST: Wynton Marsalis

As spoon notes, some players/music servers can't handle this properly and only show the first artist. In my own case, foobar2000 and LMS/Squeezeboxes all properly recognize the multiple artists tags as created by dbpa.

If you instead enter: Willie Nelson, Wynton Marsalis
    this is not treated as multiple artists. Instead it is treated as a single "artist" that just happens to contain two names:

ARTIST: Willie Nelson, Wynton Marsalis.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    when using ";" to separate multiple artists when ripping or converting, dbpa creates separate tag fields for each artist.
    For example, if: Willie Nelson; Wynton Marsalis
    Then dbpa creates two separate artist tags (at least in some file formats...I see this in my FLAC files):

ARTIST: Willie Nelson
    ARTIST: Wynton Marsalis

As spoon notes, some players/music servers can't handle this properly and only show the first artist. In my own case, foobar2000 and LMS/Squeezeboxes all properly recognize the multiple artists tags as created by dbpa.

If you instead enter: Willie Nelson, Wynton Marsalis
    this is not treated as multiple artists. Instead it is treated as a single "artist" that just happens to contain two names:

ARTIST: Willie Nelson, Wynton Marsalis.
    Thanks, I am somewhat clearer but it throws up other oddities.

I'm not adding the semicolon ; it is coming via metadata searches.
    So It seems CDRipper can't handle the semicolon as it meant to be used (Discogs seems to use it).
    I don't agree with the Discogs use of semicolon, and given this issue perhaps CDRipper should deal with it with a substitution, that don't seem to work at all in R16/Mac.

The arrival of the semicolon is new since adding Discogs to the search, I never see ";" being used in metadata anywhere else.
    Quite rightly for many good reasons, one of which you've explained.

Given the extreme regularity that Discogs is coughing up a semi-colon, and it is part of the CDR meta search, and given that apparently none of the settings in DBPA can deal with a semi-colon in metadata, (i.e. if an ; appears the metadata is doomed to fail in the ordinary sense)I guess I should not search on Discogs at all.

As I am ripping to ALAC then a semi-colon should not cause the splitting of names to happen as ALAC doesn't support separate artists in this way. Maybe the semi-colon should be seen as it is (wrongly) being used, as a comma.
    As the substitution rules don't work in CDRipper the semicolons must be removed by hand, an incredibly laborious task that really negates using CDRipper for speed in the first place.

dBpoweramp Guru

can't speak to ALAC as I use FLAC. But regarding the dbpa use of ";". The ";" is *not* part of the metadata at all. It is simply a signal to the dbpa program to treat the items on either side as separate tag data fields (e.g. multiple ARTIST tags). The ";" is not actually included in the metadata tag text. For example, the program mp3tag uses a different symbol: Willie Nelson\\Wynton Marsalis would create two different ARTIST tags (one for each artist). The "\" is not included in the metadata text. Instead, this symbol simply tells mp3tag to treat the items on either side as separate tag fields.

can't speak to ALAC as I use FLAC. But regarding the dbpa use of ";". The ";" is *not* part of the metadata at all. It is simply a signal to the dbpa program to treat the items on either side as separate tag data fields (e.g. multiple ARTIST tags). The ";" is not actually included in the metadata tag text. For example, the program mp3tag uses a different symbol: Willie Nelson\\Wynton Marsalis would create two different ARTIST tags (one for each artist). The "" is not included in the metadata text. Instead, this symbol simply tells mp3tag to treat the items on either side as separate tag fields.
    This is helpful.

Why can't the CDRipper preferences be set so if it finds a semicolon, ever, anywhere, it switches it to a comma?

dBpoweramp Guru

This is helpful.

Why can't the CDRipper preferences be set so if it finds a semicolon, ever, anywhere, it switches it to a comma?
    I

I don't know. But I'm just a user like you.

I

Yes, I gathered that. And always appreciate all replies.
    Though it seems to be either you or Spoon, so he (or she) can catch up later....

I'm not a fan of this divide and conquer support.
    It's no substitute for more detailed FAQ even. But anyway....moan moan...

On this page...
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmchelposx/CDadvanced.htm

It says, of the FILE NAME RESTRICTED CHARACTERS preference...
    File Name Restricted Characters allows the prohibition of characters which cannot be used in filenames, by default characters which the system cannot have in the filename are substituted for similar. It is also possible to remove characters totally (such as spaces).

If only that preference extended to the actual metadata, which is what this app is supposed to be about...
    I mean, NO ONE needs to pay to find out the Artist/Title, ever, it's the finding and handling of the other meta we bought this for.

I

Yes, I gathered that. And always appreciate all replies.
    Though it seems to be either you or Spoon, so he (or she) can catch up later....

I'm not a fan of this divide and conquer support.
    It's no substitute for more detailed FAQ even. But anyway....moan moan...

On this page...
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmchelposx/CDadvanced.htm

It says, of the FILE NAME RESTRICTED CHARACTERS preference...
    File Name Restricted Characters allows the prohibition of characters which cannot be used in filenames, by default characters which the system cannot have in the filename are substituted for similar. It is also possible to remove characters totally (such as spaces).

If only that preference extended to the actual metadata, which is what this app is supposed to be about...
    I mean, NO ONE needs to pay to find out the Artist/Title, ever, it's the other meta we bought for.

Administrator

This is helpful.

Because if later on you change players to one which handle multiple artists correctly (iTunes cannot), then you would be glad the artists were split in the metadata correctly, because it would allow searching on the contributing artist. Correctly already written metadata is actually harder then re-ripping.

However as I mentioned, there is a setting in the DSP effects 'ID Tag Processing' to write non-multiple, it would be written as 'artist1; artist2'.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Because if later on you change players to one which handle multiple artists correctly (iTunes cannot), then you would be glad the artists were split in the metadata correctly, because it would allow searching on the contributing artist. Correctly already written metadata is actually harder then re-ripping.

However as I mentioned, there is a setting in the DSP effects 'ID Tag Processing' to write non-multiple, it would be written as 'artist1; artist2'.
    You seem to have this backwards.
    Why would I want composer in a separate box? I don't want them in separate boxes, because the writers for any given track exist together, not separately.
    And this is not multiple artists, this is multiple writers/composer, but maybe beside the point.
    But writers or artists, there is no such thing as "multiple artists" per se, in this instance.
    These tracks don't exist by Nancy AND frank, there isn't "Something Stupid" by Nancy, and "Something Stupid" by Frank, it only exists as Nancy & Frank.
    The recording was made like that, Nancy & Frank, or written by Hal, David.
    There will never be an instance where those names will need to be split, in separate boxes, they will always be searchable, divided by a comma, semicolon, slash, take your pick.

What I don't understand is the software that can't handle this is CDRipper.
    It IS receiving your preferred semicolon divider in the artist/composer boxes and then not handling it correctly at the embed metadata stage.

Bizarre!

Administrator

Take Asset:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

Which is a preferred choice for serving music to Linn and Naim systems: it is not unknown for Asset to be used on collections with 500,000 tracks. If you had 500K tracks and you want to list all music Drake has ever participated in, you would be able to, as often Drake is not the lead artist, if it was stored as Rhianna & Drake you would not have a program which could search that efficiently.