title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ID TAG UPDATE missing in BATCH CONVERTER (Windows_10 Ver. 16.6)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ID TAG UPDATE missing in BATCH CONVERTER (Windows_10 Ver. 16.6)

I can't see that anyone has asked, so what exactly was the problem you were having?

The sort tags are useful so you can have anything you want in the Artist tag (including Chick "Corea") and they'll still sort correctly - assuming in your example that you stored them without the quotes in the SORT tag. Without them aren't you just exposing other sort issues like bands beginning with 'The' or artists like P!nk or A$AP Rocky?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    My Artist and Album Artist tags are no more!
    Hopefully you meant the sort versions of those tag fields! If you truly have no use for them, then all is well.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    The sort tags are useful so you can have anything you want in the Artist tag (including Chick "Corea") and they'll still sort correctly - assuming in your example that you stored them without the quotes in the SORT tag. Without them aren't you just exposing other sort issues like bands beginning with 'The' or artists like P!nk or A$AP Rocky?
    Agreed, I use the sort tags myself as my old school library-based OCD just won't let me find John Lennon listed under "J" as an acceptable practice!

Some players will filter out The/A/An as a simple sorting practice, but this is limited in scope. To your point P!nk has to sort as Pink, and A$AP Rocky as ASAP Rocky. Sort tags are also extremely useful if you have several versions of an album from different release years, or editions. All of this is intended to allow the standard Album/Artist/Albumartist/Composer/Title tags to appear as they should be expected, while the non-so-appealing looking sort versions of those do the heavy lifting, useful only in the background to keep a neat and tidy library.

FYI - On Windows, MusicBee uses the sort tags effectively. As does iTunes on Windows, Mac, and of course IOS. So far for Android only GoneMAD has implemented the use of sort tags. Possibly Foobar on Windows has some ability as well, but not on the mobile versions so far. There are likely other players as well, these are the ones I am aware of.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GBrown View Post
    Agreed, I use the sort tags myself as my old school library-based OCD just won't let me find John Lennon listed under "J" as an acceptable practice!

Some players will filter out The/A/An as a simple sorting practice, but this is limited in scope. To your point P!nk has to sort as Pink, and A$AP Rocky as ASAP Rocky. Sort tags are also extremely useful if you have several versions of an album from different release years, or editions. All of this is intended to allow the standard Album/Artist/Albumartist/Composer/Title tags to appear as they should be expected, while the non-so-appealing looking sort versions of those do the heavy lifting, useful only in the background to keep a neat and tidy library.

FYI - On Windows, MusicBee uses the sort tags effectively. As does iTunes on Windows, Mac, and of course IOS. So far for Android only GoneMAD has implemented the use of sort tags. Possibly Foobar on Windows has some ability as well, but not on the mobile versions so far. There are likely other players as well, these are the ones I am aware of.
    I'm with you here, old school, so John Lennon goes in Ls followed by Julian. Yep, P!nk is sorted as Pink.

It could be that old habits die hard, but if undecided on which album to play, I would look at the spines, The Beatles in Bs and John Lennon in Ls.

I still tend to look through the front covers, so they are sorted to replicate how I store my LPs.

I know we have search these days, but.....

I only use Album Artist Sort if Album Artist is different to Artist and have never used Composer Sort.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thumbs up Re: ID TAG UPDATE missing in BATCH CONVERTER (Windows_10 Ver. 16.6)

Hopefully you meant the sort versions of those tag fields! If you truly have no use for them, then all is well.
    Thanks for pointing that out. It was a typo.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-17-2022 at 09:44 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I only use Foobar on my PC and Amazon Fire. When I switch to Mac I'll continue with Foobar.

I have 5 back-ups of my FLACs so if the results here are inadequate, then I can always start over.

dBpoweramp Guru

My Artist and Album Artist tags are no more!
    I hope you mean your ARTISTSORT and ALBUM ARTISTSORT tags.....

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I only use Foobar on my PC and Amazon Fire. When I switch to Mac I'll continue with Foobar.

I have 5 back-ups of my FLACs so if the results here are inadequate, then I can always start over.
    Awesome, hopefully everything is good now.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I still tend to look through the front covers, so they are sorted to replicate how I store my LPs.

I know we have search these days, but.....

I only use Album Artist Sort if Album Artist is different to Artist and have never used Composer Sort.
    Hi Oggy!

My CDs are boxed-up in divisions: classical, jazz, pop, and then whatever else is left over. I have kept each album-artists' CDs together (as of course you would do). But the CDs by each album-artist are not in alphabetical order. Nor are the album-artists placed in alphabetical order. At the worst it might take up to 2 minutes to locate a buried CD.

"Composer Sort" - what on earth was I thinking at the time?!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-17-2022 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by simbun View Post
    I can't see that anyone has asked, so what exactly was the problem you were having?
    Well, I was not able to delete certain tags such as: ConductorSort, or ComposerSort.

This has been actioned now (thanks!). But I still have an issue with deleting quotations from nicknames within the Composer and Conductor fields. I've posted on here and on mp3tag forum.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-17-2022 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I hope you mean your ARTISTSORT and ALBUM ARTISTSORT tags.....
    Thanks for pointing that out. It was a typo.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-17-2022 at 09:45 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy!

My CDs are boxed-up in divisions: classical, jazz, pop, and then whatever else is left over. I have kept each album-artists' CDs together (as of course you would do). But the CDs by each album-artist are not in alphabetical order. Nor are the album-artists placed in alphabetical order. At the worst it might take up to 2 minutes to locate a buried CD.

"Composer Sort" - what on earth was I thinking at the time?!

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Good to see you on here again!

It's a very fine line between being organised and OCD...

Some draw the line at chronological order and some don't!

We are creating personal libraries, so whatever works for the individual; hardware and software limitations not withstanding!!

Edit. Roon has been a game changer for some users.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-17-2022 at 09:53 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    It's a very fine line between being organised and OCD...

Some draw the line at chronological order and some don't!

We are creating personal libraries, so whatever works for the individual; hardware and software limitations not withstanding!!
    Well, I think I went a bit "OCD" when I first started ripping here. I kinda' wanted to document everything! - superfluous or otherwise.

The slight spanner in the works is that now many recordings are no longer available on CD; so one has to resort to purchasing Amazon Music downloads, or whatever. Albeit cheaper, I would still prefer a hard-copy.

dBpoweramp Guru

Unhappy Re: ID TAG UPDATE missing in BATCH CONVERTER (Windows_10 Ver. 16.6)

. . . and for my next task, I have to remove all of the elongated texts (from album titles and song names) containing 'opus' type references. It looks like it's going to be a big job but fortuitously such tags are limited to my Classical music section.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N-O...ew?usp=sharing

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I personally don't use any sort tags. Sometimes simple is better. I even reorganized my physical CDs to match the "first name" alphabetized order of my digital files.
    I like the simple approach too as it feels more natural. Even back in the LP days I sorted after first name. When I read "John Lennon" on the album cover it felt awkward to put it behind "L". Simple as that... And in the digital era the first name approach turned out to be beneficial.

But I do use sort tags in special cases, e.g. to correct the listing of french/german/scandinavian letters ü, å, ä, æ, ö, ø, œ.

And I use ALBUM SORT for a chronological listing of albums and their editions/remasters.