title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    Right, so I guess that brings things full circle to the original question of why these tracks had no RG tags applied to them when I did the large batch convert, and likewise even when I converted them as single albums album. Foobar was able to give them RG tags; but not DBPA.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.
    First, I suggest you run Test Conversion on ALL your files. This can take several hours if you have a very large audio library.

Also, what version of dBpoweramp Music Converter and Replay Gain utility codec are you using?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Batch Converter for RG tags - just used it and some files did not get tagged...

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I do not understand why you are not able to successfully run the Replay Gain utility codec on these files.
    Neither do I!! Hopefully we'll get there in the end though and thanks for sticking with me and for all the help.

First, I suggest you run Test Conversion on ALL your files. This can take several hours if you have a very large audio library.
    OK, will do and will report back. Still odd that it isn't bringing up errors on the file which does bring up errors for you. Unless...

what version of dBpoweramp Music Converter and Replay Gain utility codec are you using?
    ...it's because I'm on R14.4? I suppose that could have something to do with it? Perhaps Spoon will be able to confirm if this is a bug that has been sorted in more recent releases? As for the Replay Gain utility codec, I'm on the latest: 5.

Cheers

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Back again....

I've just finished running all the files in my "random collection" through the converter with Test Conversion selected and no errors were reported. But I can't be certain that means there are no errors because it did not report an error for that file which you DID get an error on.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) has a file with errors that I could download so that I can check the Test Conversion codec is reporting errors on my system?

As a quick aside, I'd not heard of the Test Conversion feature until now, so at some point I will run all of my ripped library through it. I'll leave it to run over night though as I think it will take a fair few hours. But I will wait until I know the codec is working as it should before doing so.

For the record, does the codec just test - and that's it? I presume it doesn't do anything to the files, like decode/re-encode or anything along those lines? But would be nice to have confirmation that it doesn't, and I wasn't able to find a help or info page for the codec.

Cheers

dBpoweramp Guru

I've just finished running all the files in my "random collection" through the converter with Test Conversion selected and no errors were reported. But I can't be certain that means there are no errors because it did not report an error for that file which you DID get an error on.
    Maybe the file got corrupted when it was uploaded/downloaded.

As a quick aside, I'd not heard of the Test Conversion feature until now, so at some point I will run all of my ripped library through it. I'll leave it to run over night though as I think it will take a fair few hours. But I will wait until I know the codec is working as it should before doing so.

For the record, does the codec just test - and that's it? I presume it doesn't do anything to the files, like decode/re-encode or anything along those lines? But would be nice to have confirmation that it doesn't, and I wasn't able to find a help or info page for the codec.
    Yes, it tests the files only e.g. if a flac file, Test Conversion decodes the file and checks the decoded result with the stored md5.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Maybe the file got corrupted when it was uploaded/downloaded.
    I guess so, although I've no idea how likely or not that would be... It would still be great if i could get hold of a corrupted file so that I can be 100% sure my Test Conversion codec is working as it should. If anyone has something they can share or knows where I can download one from, that would be most helpful.

Yes, it tests the files only
    That's what i hoped to hear and is good to know

So I'm still left with no answer as to why DBPA won't RG tag these tracks at my end, even when I try to do them singularly (after the batch convert failed to do it). And of course the fact that you CAN add RG tags to the files at your end only makes things more mysterious! Perhaps Spoon or someone might be able to help find an answer. Or perhaps it will just have to be put down to "one of those things".

Irrespective of the outcome, I appreciate you coming along the way to help.

Administrator

If you can upload another file that we can test against.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you can upload another file that we can test against.
    Sure thing. Here's a couple for you:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...FA2NWVhamZOTW8

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...XcxQ1YyeUd1OTQ

And here are the three I have uploaded earlier in the thread (just to save having to track back):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...zROWllxOWtOMTA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...mlId0dBNjB2YUE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...VE2SlJTUXBCV0U

Many thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Still odd that it isn't bringing up errors on the file which does bring up errors for you. Unless...
    Do you have Display Error Log and Display Information Log ticked?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Do you have Display Error Log and Display Information Log ticked?
    Good thinking, but yes - I do have that ticked.

Administrator

The file:

Genocide Organ - Leichenlinie - 03 - Klaus Barbie.mp3

I saved to C:\Test\

I then right click on this file >> convert to >> [replaygain] set to album & track gain.

The conversion ran and the file had both Album and Track ID tags. Note I am running R16.2 beta.

IF you can try the exact same as I did please.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I've just done the same as you (as instructed) and still no RG tags. The only difference is that I am on R14.4. Could that be the problem?

Also, did you run the Test Conversion on this file (or any of the others)? Just curious as to whether they are showing errors...

Ta

Administrator

There have been multiple improvements to the Replaygain DSP, since R14.

The file did not report errors with Test Conversion.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So does the RG DSP get updated when you update the main program itself??? I have DSP R11 installed.

Furthermore, until recently I had RG v3 installed but I have now upgraded that to v5. I actually only ran the codec installer/upgrader, but it seemed to update the RG DSP as well. At least when I call up the DSP it has the new v5 GUI so I presumed it had been updated at the same time.

So do I have the latest RG DSP? And if so, cold it still nonetheless be due to the fact that I am on R14.4?

Administrator

If using the encoder as [ReplayGain] it does not matter what your DSP versions are, just the codec version.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If using the encoder as [ReplayGain] it does not matter what your DSP versions are, just the codec version.
    That's what I thought. I only mentioned the DSP because you did above.

So just to clarify, when trying to apply rg to these problematic files I am doing so using the replay gain codec (not DSP) in the converter. And the codec I have is r5.

So is there anything else left to try or look into, or will this have to be put down to "one of those things"?