title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I convert m4a to mp3 files while keeping the album artwork?

How do I convert m4a to mp3 files while keeping the album artwork?

Hello

It's my first time posting in this site, please bear with me. I am currently using dBpoweramp Release 16 and I am trying to convert a bunch of m4a files to mp3 whilst still having the artwork embedded into the newly converted file. I was able to convert the files but then I realized that I have lost the album artwork into it.

Also if its possible, I'd like to know I can keep the Explicit and Copyright tags when I convert my files.

First screenshot, as you can see, is my ID Tag Processing options. The second screenshot is my DSP Effects.
    Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

I'd appreciate any possible tip or advice, thank you!
    Last edited by dizzywave; 04-06-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Administrator

Re: How do I convert m4a to mp3 files while keeping the album artwork?

You do not need any DSPs to preserve the album art, it is automatically done so.

Right click on a m4a file >> Edit ID Tags

if the art does not show at the bottom, then those files do not have any art. (most likely iTunes has the art in its internal database, not the files).

That is the problem though. The first time I tried to convert was without any DSP Effects. I use mp3tag to see the album art of the m4a files and it shows the album art properly (Edit ID Tags won't show when I right click even though I have it enabled on the options).

I'm also pretty sure the m4a files has art because when I used the Export to option, I get a copy of the jpg file of the m4a file at the end of conversion.

Administrator

Remove all DSP effects, and the art is preserved. You should try verifying the mp3 file has art in Windows Media Player.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dizzywave View Post
    I use mp3tag to see the album art of the m4a files and it shows the album art properly (Edit ID Tags won't show when I right click even though I have it enabled on the options).
    Please confirm exactly where you believe the artwork exists? i.e.:
    1. artwork is embedded in the m4a source file
    2. there a single jpg file in the album source folder
    3. you use iTunes and the artwork appears correct in iTunes
    4. you use Windows Media Player and the artwork appears correct in Windows Media Player?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Remove all DSP effects, and the art is preserved. You should try verifying the mp3 file has art in Windows Media Player.
    I can confirm that the m4a file has an album artwork in Windows Media Player. I tried converting it to mp3 without any DSP effect and the album artwork still doesn't get applied onto the new converted file.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Please confirm exactly where you believe the artwork exists? i.e.:
    1. artwork is embedded in the m4a source file
    2. there a single jpg file in the album source folder
    3. you use iTunes and the artwork appears correct in iTunes
    4. you use Windows Media Player and the artwork appears correct in Windows Media Player?
    1. artwork is embedded because when i put the original m4a file on my iPhone it shows the album art properly
    2. don't know what do you mean by this, but if i try to use the option import from "Folder. jpg" or "cover.jpg", I get the album art jpg file
    3. The artwork appears correctly in iTunes when I dragged the m4a file to my iTunes menu
    4. The artwork appears as expected in Windows Media Player as well

Administrator

Please upload a m4a file and the mp3 file you have created to drop box and send a link by personal message to me.

dBpoweramp Guru

1. artwork is embedded because when i put the original m4a file on my iPhone it shows the album art properly
    This does not necessarily prove that the artwork is embedded in the m4a source file.

In Windows File Explorer, if you right-click an m4a file and select Edit ID-Tag, does the artwork show in the Album Art section at the bottom of the Edit ID-Tag window?

2. don't know what do you mean by this, but if i try to use the option import from "Folder. jpg" or "cover.jpg", I get the album art jpg file
    In Windows File Explorer, navigate to a folder that contains an m4a album. Are there any jpg files within that folder and if so, what are the filenames of the jpgs?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Please upload a m4a file and the mp3 file you have created to drop box and send a link by personal message to me.
    Sent.

Hey guys, quick update. I reinstalled dBpoweramp and it seemed like I could now convert the files while still keeping the album artwork.

If I could just ask one more question, like I said in the original post, I would like to know if its possible to preserve the Explicit tag and Copyright tags of the m4a file. Please let me know if you guys have any idea.

Thanks for all of your time, Spoon and mville!
    Last edited by dizzywave; 04-09-2017 at 05:09 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I would like to know if its possible to preserve the Explicit tag and Copyright tags of the m4a file. Please let me know if you guys have any idea.
    When you convert m4a files to mp3, if the m4a source files contain the Copyright and Explicit tags, the tags should then exist in the resultant mp3 files.

I have just tested this in dBpoweramp Music Converter R16.2 and it works fine on my Windows 10 Pro 64-bit PC.

I am able to view the Copyright and Explicit tags in both dBpoweramp Edit ID-Tag and MP3Tag.
    Last edited by mville; 04-09-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added tags appear in software