title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    It is certainly brilliant how it has saved time, and a big headache, for a lot of people. There has a number of very useful strings posted, yours is very elegant.

Out of interest, what would you use for Classical, using Composer?
    not sure, but I'd likely want composer on top of artist or album. So I'd want a Mozart folder, with all my CDs with Mozart underneath, probably artist and album sub folders.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I am not going to bother with level '10' or 'uncompressed'. Will leave that to those who believe they were born with bionic-hearing!
    The flac compression levels are 0 to 8 and uncompressed. The level has no bearing on audio quality whatsoever.

So, a flac, when decoded, will be identical whatever level you choose to encode it to.

dBpoweramp Guru

You really are very serious about the artwork factor! Wow. So you READ the liner notes on your music-player/device?
    Sorry, I was unclear; I scan the front cover, not the entire booklet. But I am serious about it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    not sure, but I'd likely want composer on top of artist or album. So I'd want a Mozart folder, with all my CDs with Mozart underneath, probably artist and album sub folders.
    Which works fine except for releases with works by more then one composer. Classical can be difficult.

I haven't ripped any of my classical CDs yet, but when I do I'll be using an alternate naming string (as yet undetermined) and putting the files in a separate Classical library.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    The flac compression levels are 0 to 8 and uncompressed. The level has no bearing on audio quality whatsoever.

So, a flac, when decoded, will be identical whatever level you choose to encode it to.
    Thanks mville,

Why, please, does 'dBpa' state that level '5' is most "recommended"?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-28-2017 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Sorry, I was unclear; I scan the front cover, not the entire booklet. But I am serious about it.
    JH,

OK, I see.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

I found this tutorial on You Tube which looks quite good for a novice (like myself):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV54wUaO44

See what you think.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks Jailhouse,

I really don't mind about waiting for a CD to rip. If it takes ten minutes or an hour, that's fine. I don't want the PC to rush the process because that would defeat the object of maintaining accuracy!

I plan the rip (sing level '5') at the rate of 1 x CD per day. I should be able to have completed my entire CD collection in 12 x months.

Thanks,

Paul
    As a rough guide, I ripped 3 CDs tonight. Two rock CDs by the same artist, and one country. I changed one Genre tag from Pop/Rock to Rock, changed one Year, and used Capitalize All on the discs. All three gave an AccurateRip in a total time of around 20 minutes.

If this had been a Classical CD, one would probably have taken the same time: mostly deciding how I want to tag it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks mville,

Why, please, does 'dBpa' state that level '5' is most "recommended"?

Cheers,

Paul
    Level 5 is a very good compromise between speed and the compressed file size. As all have said, when played, this makes absolutely no difference to the "quality" of the file. My colleagues, friends and myself, have stuck, to the default, Level 5, setting.

dBpoweramp Guru

... and used Capitalize All on the discs.
    Hi Oggy,

So everything (all letters) appear in capitals on your playback device?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Level 5 is a very good compromise between speed and the compressed file size. As all have said, when played, this makes absolutely no difference to the "quality" of the file. My colleagues, friends and myself, have stuck, to the default, Level 5, setting.
    Cheers,

I am following suit!

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

So everything (all letters) appear in capitals on your playback device?

Paul
    No, Just The First Letter Of All The Words. Bad English, but some albums use it anyway. The good part about using it, is that it is consistent, helps reduce errors, and only takes one press. Most other options, are probably worse English, again, it's a personal preference.

Try it on one CD, and see if you like how it looks.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

No, Just The First Letter Of All The Words. Bad English, but some albums use it anyway. The good part about using it, is that it is consistent, helps reduce errors, and only takes one press. Most other options, are probably worse English, again, it's a personal preference.
    Cheers Oggy,

But can this be done AFTER a CD has been ripped, please? I mean, if I tried and liked, then would I have to re-rip the CDs again I have done already?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

(Please see screenshot.)

Rip_Tag.png

1 - Is the 'CRC' alpha-numeric code related to the check-sum, or is this completely different?

2 - Are the numbers (69~70) after 'accurate' related to how many online results (found) AccurateRip has cross-referenced the (my) rip against?

3 - Do you fill in anything in the 'Comment' field (I have left this verbatim empty).

4 - If the ORIGINAL (LP) recording session was 1968, and the date showing for the (remastered) CD version is (in this case) '2002', then do you change this date back to that of the original recording (ie. 1968)?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Oggy,

But can this be done AFTER a CD has been ripped, please? I mean, if I tried and liked, then would I have to re-rip the CDs again I have done already?

Paul
    Yes, I believe this can be done with the ID Tag Processing DSP.