title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Thanks, mville. Ignore leading "The" when sorting option, really should be available in all player's software. Such a simple solution, makes life so much easier.
    It's also automatic in my primary music library/server (LMS). I can even add/remove words to ignore in sorting. See picture:

CropperCapture[1].jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    It's also automatic in my primary music library/server (LMS). I can even add/remove words to ignore in sorting. See picture:

CropperCapture[1].jpg
    Yes, LMS is very well, ahem, "sorted".

dBpoweramp Guru

CropperCapture[1].jpg
    Yes, very useful.

It is strange that Asset, iTunes and LMS support sort tags and sort features pretty well, whereas foobar2000 does not.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, very useful.

It is strange that Asset, iTunes and LMS support sort tags and sort features pretty well, whereas foobar2000 does not.
    It makes life so difficult to rip and tag in advance of buying a player, as many of the sort and tag features rarely are shown on a manufacturer's specification sheet. Sometimes you see players with software, that has clearly been written by someone who has never played digital files in their life.....

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, very useful.

I don't use Sort tags, so haven't played with it, but I thought foobar2000 could handle sort tags in some manner. Just a quick loot at an older post turned up this. I suppose it's not crystal clear. I use FACETS myself.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/top...html*msg792620
    Last edited by garym; 12-28-2017 at 01:05 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Guess I still think in terms of flicking through records in shops. I have over 100 artists whose name is prefaced with The, and some folks would have several hundred: that's a lot of T's to wade through.
    Okay, I had to count mine. I have 70 with albums under the band names. There are several hundred once I look at all the Various Artist releases.

For me, manually searching the "The..." bands isn't much of a problem because everything is in alphabetical order after that first word, and it's easy enough to find Tears For Fears or Traffic on either side of the "The..." block.

dBpoweramp Guru

I think that foobar's TitleFormatting can be used to utilize sort tags as desired; one just has to work at it. (Note that I don't speak from experience, as I haven't done it... yet.)

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't use Sort tags, so haven't played with it, but I thought foobar2000 could handle sort tags in some manner. Just a quick loot at an older post turned up this. I suppose it's not crystal clear. I use FACETS myself.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/top...html*msg792620
    It handles sort tags in some cases e.g. playlists, but sadly, it is dependant on the UI element/component being used. I mainly use Album List and this does not support the use display tag, but sort on the sort tag principle.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

I tend to keep artist to the published track artist and the individual artists.

e.g. Queen and David Bowie - Under Pressure

So, Artist = Queen and David Bowie; Queen; David Bowie
    Hi,

I have a CD ("Consummation") which is performed by a Big Band that is run by two artists:

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra

(Thad Jones is the Trumpeter and Mel Lewis the Drummer; and so it's kinda joint run):

And so, for ARTIST, should I write: Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra

And for ARTIST SORT: Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra?

or perhaps: Jones, Thad, Lewis, Mel, Jazz Orchestra?

Secondly, for ALBUM ARTIST, would you drop the 'Jazz Orchestra'? (ie. Jones, Thad; Lewis; Mel).

I ask because I have never ripped a joint run Big Band before.

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-05-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I have a CD ("Consummation") which is performed by a Big Band that is run by two artists:

(Thad Jones is the Trumpeter and Mel Lewis the Drummer; and so it's kinda joint run):

There is no should about this. How do YOU want this Artist to appear?

Most of the time, I use the published Artist. When this it gets confused or there are many variations on an Artist, I check with the Discogs website to help me decide how I would like the Artist to be appear.

It all depends on whether you want the Artist listed under T or J. You decide this.

Secondly, for ALBUM ARTIST, would you drop the 'Jazz Orchestra'? (ie. Jones, Thad; Lewis; Mel).
    I treat Artist and Album Artist in exactly the same way, so I do not have different Artist and Album Artists.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I ask because I have never ripped a joint run Big Band before.

Many thanks,

Paul
    What does this have to do with Ripping Level (the thread subject)? It does other users (and future users) of the forum no good to have off-topic questions and answers posted in threads about other subjects. In the end, the forum turns into a big mess rather than a searchable document. Anyhow, I recall you have another thread with the subject of tag contents.** It would be better to put these tag content musings in that thread. Thanks!
    **here:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-and-more-Tags
    Last edited by garym; 01-05-2018 at 10:39 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

What does this have to do with Ripping Level (the thread subject)? It does other users (and future users) of the forum no good to have off-topic questions and answers posted in threads about other subjects. In the end, the forum turns into a big mess rather than a searchable document. Anyhow, I recall you have another thread with the subject of tag contents.** It would be better to put these tag content musings in that thread. Thanks!
    **here:
    https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...-and-more-Tags
    Because it was a continuation of a pre-existing discussion earlier on in this thread.

dBpoweramp Guru

There is no should about this. How do YOU want this Artist to appear?

Most of the time, I use the published Artist. When this it gets confused or there are many variations on an Artist, I check with the Discogs website to help me decide how I would like the Artist to be appear.

It all depends on whether you want the Artist listed under T or J. You decide this.

I treat Artist and Album Artist in exactly the same way, so I do not have different Artist and Album Artists.
    Cheers mville,

I have considered your points, thanks.

For me, Discogs is often inaccurate and so I usually just key in my own data (using the CD booklet as a reference - and a bit of Wiki). This might just be the case for 'Jazz' though, as I have not ripped another genre as yet.

Anyway, I have decided to go with:

ARTIST = Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra

ALBUM ARTIST = Thad Jones; Mel Lewis

This way, I can search for the album 'Consummation' under two artists.

This may, or may not, meet your approval!?

Paul

(I shall cease to continue this topic of discussion under this particular thread.)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 01-05-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Because it was a continuation of a pre-existing discussion earlier on in this thread.
    that discussion was in the wrong place too. We should really try our best to keep our posts in the correct subject thread. (and a reminder: try to make thread subjects informative about the actual question or contents of the thread. This makes the forum much more usable to members.)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hi guys,

I am currently reinstalling 'dBpa' onto my new replacement PC. I have almost finished now except, I think, for one element.

I copy&pasted (I think it was Garym's) NAMING SCHEME string last year (amongst some other data) but I'll be damned if I can find it. I can only assume it got lost when my previous (9 month old!) PC died 10 days ago. The string was in relation to 'maximum characters (240)' and 'if compilation ...'.

Please see screenshot:

If someone might be able to copy&paste it below I would be extremely grateful (or PM me - as this thread had hopped around quite a bit). I scanned through the pages of this thread but could not locate it (though it will be here somewhere).

Secondly, should 'Sample Rate' be set to '+6', or is it best left to the s/w to detect the most suitable value?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-16-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: link