title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replay Gain - Settings

Replay Gain - Settings

I am ripping my CDs using a multi encoder. ALAC is used for Itunes and FLAC is used for Winamp.

Im guessing that means I have to tick all the boxes in the Replay Gain Settings? Example:
    tick - Write Track Gain
    tick - Write Album Gain: album identified by - Album ID Tag
    tick - Write ItunNorm tag for Itunes (if album gain is enabled this is written)
    tick - EBU R128 Calculated Gain
    -23 LUFS Target Volume

Is the Itunes tag a seperate tag? Or is there only one tag? In which case I need to decide whether its written for Itunes or Windows based products?

Is there any disadvantage of ticking the new form EBU R128?

Do I need to think about the -23 LUFS Target Volume or just leave it as default?

I have not started applying any gain control with compatible player yet but I want to make sure I get these tags right first time if possible.

Administrator

Re: Replay Gain - Settings

Both types of tag will be written, it does not matter if both iTunes and replaygain (using R128) are written together.

I have Write Track Gain, Write Album Gain, And EBU R128 Calculated Gain, -23 LUFS Target Volume checked. However, since I upgraded to V14.4 my newly ripped albums playback at subjectively much quieter levels. I am using Sonos players for playback. Can I change that?

Administrator

Set the target volume to -18 LUFS

The issue is if you have used Replaygain (which came before ebu r128) then the ebu r128 is quieter by the standard. You can either redo the replaygain for all albums to the new ebu standard, change the lufs target level, or not use ebu r128 and stick with replaygain.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

The issue is if you have used Replaygain (which came before ebu r128) then the ebu r128 is quieter by the standard. You can either redo the replaygain for all albums to the new ebu standard, change the lufs target level, or not use ebu r128 and stick with replaygain.
    +1. I use ebu r128 with setting at "-18 LUFS" and this matches well with all my older tracks with regular ReplayGain.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post

I ran a couple of tests, and changing from -23 to -18 LUFS results in about +5 dB in the replaygain_album_gain tag. Can I make this change manually rather than re-ripping the CDs I ripped with -23?

Administrator

Yes you can manually edit the values.

dBpoweramp Guru

And, there would be no need to rerip CDs. One can simply redo the RG on your existing flac files using dbpa batch converter or foobar2000.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    And, there would be no need to rerip CDs. One can simply redo the RG on your existing flac files using dbpa batch converter or foobar2000.
    Sounds great. How would I do that using dBpa batch converter?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Dixcy View Post
    Sounds great. How would I do that using dBpa batch converter?
    using dbpa batch converter, select the upper directory containing all the files you want to fix, when the popup comes up, select convert to [REPLAY GAIN] (this is a dsp that you may need to install from codec central). On the selection page, choose the options (e.g., changing LUFS to -18, choose album gain, track gain ebu r128, etc.). Then at bottom of that popup, choose CONVERT. This won't change your audio, etc. It will only reanalyze files for RG tag information and rewrite those tags.

not sure if you need the beta RG codec. It is at:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...odec-Release-3
    Last edited by garym; 10-29-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Administrator

Visit codec central and install the Replay gain utility codec, then convert all your files (with batch converter) to this codec.

Hello,

could it be that Batch Converter -> Replay Gain cannot edit MP4 files with 96 kHz (I converted from FLAC previously)?

Best regards,
    Jochen
    Last edited by Jochen; 09-01-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Administrator

The newer EBU-r128 should work with these higher frequency files, the older replaygain standard did not.

I used the latest version with this standard already. Batch Converter said that it could not access the files. But the files were ok!

If I convert the FLACs to MP4 with Resampler (44.1 kHz) and Bit Depth Converter (16 Bits) on, then it works without any problems. Of course, in this case I can also use the Replay Gain DSP during conversion (what I did now).

Finally I guess there is something not ok either in the Replay Gain plugin or in the Batch Converter itself (but I don't think so that Batch Converter is the problem).

Administrator

On the errors page copy the error message to clipboard (with the button) and paste here please.