title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How to change setting from genre-title to genre-artist

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

How to change setting from genre-title to genre-artist

This is related to a previous thread I posted:

When I choose a music genre it displays the various album titles in alphabetical order. I want to display the artist after selecting a genre. This is likely very simple but I cannot figure it out. Any help is very much appreciated.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: How to change setting from genre-title to genre-artist

Hi

The way I have Asset set up here to do that is:-

Go to 'Edit Advanced Settings'
    Then under 'Browse tree' expand 'Genre'
    I originally had a folder called 'root'. I deleted that and selected 'add new container', choosing 'Artist / Album' from the drop down menu.

Click ok and Asset restarts. Should all work as you wish now.

Mick

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks Mickc. That worked, although I had to choose Album by Artist, not Artist/Album.

I should add that I recently bought a new computer and subsequently haven't been able to get my old settings back. Before, when I chose an Artist, if I had one or more albums by that artist it wouldn't show all the albums side-by-side as it does not. Instead, I would tap the artist and it would then display all the albums in alphabetical order. It's not a big deal, but it's a cleaner look and feel. Any ideas?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Are you saying you get a list of albums rather than a grid? I have the grid appear, and the albums are in alphabetical order...

Mick

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Actually, I think I followed your instructions wrong the first time, because I re-did it and this is how I wanted it to display. Thanks.

Any ideas on only having one icon for an artist, then having to select that artist to see all the recordings?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Larue View Post
    Actually, I think I followed your instructions wrong the first time, because I re-did it and this is how I wanted it to display. Thanks.

Any ideas on only having one icon for an artist, then having to select that artist to see all the recordings?
    Sometimes I find Asset needs a good kick (ie a refresh all, or even a restart), to pick up all changes.

Don't know about this question though; sorry...

Mick

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I agree. I have had to do that a couple of times when I couldn't see an album I'd just bought. Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon, can you answer this question?

Administrator

You would define the tree as:

Genre >> Artist (then check track listing for artist)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, I thought I had things almost completely worked out with the help of mickc, but I didn't.

Spoon, you are a man of few words, but I'm wondering if you could take me through this step by step. Where do I check track listing? There is only "No track listing to check." When I go Genre, then add a new container as "child of" then add artist, this doesn't work properly. I'll see multiple icons under that artist, and the albums under that artist are all mixed up. It seems to be listing everything alphabetically, not by album.

To be clear, I simply want to be able to select genre, then a particular artist, then the various albums by that artist. I've tried as many browse tree scenarios as possible, but nothing works. There must be a straightforward answer to this.

dBpoweramp Guru

In the Browse Tree:
    1. Select the Genre node and tick the No Track Listing checkbox.

2. Under the Genre node, click the Add New Container button and select Add as a child of 'Genre'. Next, select Artist from the Selected drop-down menu and tick the A to Z and No Track Listing checkboxes, for this new Artist node.

3. Under the new Artist node, click the Add New Container button and select Add as a child of 'Artist'. Next, select Album from the Selected drop-down menu and un-tick the No Track Listing checkboxes, for the new Album node (if you want albums listed alphabetically, tick the A to Z checkbox).
    Last edited by mville; 06-02-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: added optional info for the Album node

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

mville, thanks so much. I wasn't clicking the A to Z in Artist,and now, this works. Well, almost, and if it's the best I can do, so be it. The way you've shown it, I select a genre and then [All Artists] to avoid going through the A to Z listings. Prior to buying my new computer, however, I only had to select the genre and it would immediately show all of the Artist icons. Then, for example, I could select Charles Lloyd and it would then show me all of that artist's albums. So, after doing it your way, I tried un-checking the A to Z in Artist, thinking it would simply avoid the need to select [All Artists]. But when I do that, it only displays one track with some of the Artists. I don't understand that, but I'll keep it programmed as you've shown me. Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

The way you've shown it, I select a genre and then [All Artists] to avoid going through the A to Z listings. Prior to buying my new computer, however, I only had to select the genre and it would immediately show all of the Artist icons.
    Yes, if you do not want the [All Artists] and A to Z listing, un-tick the A to Z checkbox. This should just list all Artists.

So, after doing it your way, I tried un-checking the A to Z in Artist, thinking it would simply avoid the need to select [All Artists]. But when I do that, it only displays one track with some of the Artists. I don't understand that, but I'll keep it programmed as you've shown me.
    I don't understand this either. This works ok, for me. Check your files are tagged correctly and after configuring the Asset Browse Tree, try Asset UPnP Configuration >> Refresh All