title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

the questions you're asking now are all up to your individual preferences. There is no "correct" answer. I don't even use SORT tags, so that's irrelevant to me. But if I used the, I'd do the same thing I'd do with any sort tag, i.e., Hancock, Herbie;Carter, Ron, etc.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Hi,

But I would only use this legend in the instance of a 'Tribute' CD. I mean, I would not want the full ensemble member's names for regular CDs also?!

For instance, on a regular Miles Davis CD I (typically) write:
      ARTIST: 'Miles Davis Quartet'

ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis'

Cheers.
      That's what I'd do on a regular CD. But don't you already know this from about 200 messages ago????

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
        That's what I'd do on a regular CD. But don't you already know this from about 200 messages ago????
        I was just double checking before I go ahead. Cheers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

the questions you're asking now are all up to your individual preferences. There is no "correct" answer. I don't even use SORT tags, so that's irrelevant to me. But if I used the, I'd do the same thing I'd do with any sort tag, i.e., Hancock, Herbie;Carter, Ron, etc.
          Gary,

OK, I just checked through my FLACs but this is the first of its kind.

The closest thing I could find (in ARTIST) was a scenario of: 'Miles Davis & John Coltrane' and 'Miles Davis & Keith Jarrett'. But such tagging terms relate to the situation in which the Miles Davis band is FEATURING an Artist. So quite different. But, you can see that I prefer to use the '&' symbol and also I do not change the christian/surname order:

Artist - 'Miles Davis & Keith Jarrett'

Artist Sort - 'Miles Davis & Keith Jarrett'

However, because tagging as:
          'Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter & Ron Carter & Wallace Roney & Tony Williams'

is going to look stupid!, I will instead just list: 'Herbie Hancock' as the ARTIST (and 'Hancock, Herbie' for the: ARTIST SORT).

I believe it was Hancocks project.

Thanks,

Paul

EDIT: The only other option would be to tag: 'Miles Davis Quintet' (which it kinda was, albeit without Miles!).
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 03:57 PM. Reason: EDIT

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Hi,

I will instead just list: 'Herbie Hancock' as the ARTIST (and 'Hancock, Herbie' for the: ARTIST SORT).
            I have done so and the CD has been placed in the Miles Davis folder. So I think I am happy with this system.

Cheers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tribute.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	293593
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Hi,

I have done so and the CD has been placed in the Miles Davis folder. So I think I am happy with this system.

Cheers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1659[/ATTACH]
              yes, you're in the area of personal preference now, so if it works for you, it is correct.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

yes, you're in the area of personal preference now, so if it works for you, it is correct.
                CHOICES! lol

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Hi guys, I am at the tail end of my Miles Dais CDs now. I have beside me what you might called bootleg or unofficial releases. The were inadvertently purchased on eBay some time ago. Obviously there is very little info. available online or in the CD notes.

My question is, please, what value do you write in the YEAR tag if you do not know when the album was recorded or released? Or do you guess an approximate year? Many thanks.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Simple. Leave year blank.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Simple. Leave year blank.
                      Gary, Well, yes. But I suppose I was more asking if it is possible to leave the YEAR field blank? And will it just show up as 'unknown' in foobar, might you know, please? Thanks.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

I am at the tail end of my Miles Dais CDs now. I have beside me what you might called bootleg or unofficial releases. The were inadvertently purchased on eBay some time ago. Obviously there is very little info. available online or in the CD notes.
                        The (above mentioned) CD I am trying to rip came up with 'insecure' for every track. Second time round, I am getting the same results, and on a different PC.

Will 'insecure' versions be OK, please? Thanks a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	insecure.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	293596

Comment

• Jailhouse
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2016

I was more asking if it is possible to leave the YEAR field blank? And will it just show up as 'unknown' in foobar, might you know, please? Thanks.
                          It's always possible to have a blank tag. foobar will (IIRC) show it as blank.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

The (above mentioned) CD I am trying to rip came up with 'insecure' for every track. Second time round, I am getting the same results, and on a different PC.

Will 'insecure' versions be OK, please? Thanks a lot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1662[/ATTACH]
                            play it and see. I have "insecure" rips that play just fine. Sometimes it is just a 1/100th of second that has bad data and it is not audible. regarding the year tag, I can't recall. I think it just shows up as blank. But just try it and see what it shows you. Trial and error is an important part of learning all this stuff. You seem adverse to that, but you should do more of it. It's not life and death and you won't break anything. If something doesn't turn out the way you want, just fix it and move on to another option until you get outcome you want.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                              It's always possible to have a blank tag. foobar will (IIRC) show it as blank.
                              Ok, cheers JH. I will test it tomorrow. I have had to rip another bootleg type CD without a YEAR tag. I will be keeping a sharp eye out so as to not get conned again on eBay! Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

play it and see. I have "insecure" rips that play just fine. Sometimes it is just a 1/100th of second that has bad data and it is not audible. regarding the year tag, I can't recall. I think it just shows up as blank. But just try it and see what it shows you. Trial and error is an important part of learning all this stuff. You seem adverse to that, but you should do more of it. It's not life and death and you won't break anything. If something doesn't turn out the way you want, just fix it and move on to another option until you get outcome you want.
                                Gary, well judging by the poor audio quality of the bootleg, you can bet your bottom dollar that nobody's ears would be able to detect any such glitches!

The reason why I wanted to check about the year/foobar is that the bootleg CD took over 90 minutes to rip! So I wanted to be as sure as I could that I was doing everything correctly etc. Cheers, Paul

Comment

Working...

]]>