title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can't get WinGOGO codec to work

Re: Can't get WinGOGO codec to work

I do convert several hour-long files each week, and 12 five-minute files equals an hour, so it all adds up.

I guess the issue of speed is like asking why it's important to get any kind of performance increase. Why upgrade a CPU or add more memory? Is the increase in speed *really* necessary ... is anyone in *that* much of a hurry?

Why is it of any significance that Lame is now faster than it was in 2004? And is GoGo obsolete simply because it hasn't been upgraded since 2004, even though it produces good sounding files at 1/3 the speed of Lame?

Everything is a trade-off so since GoGo files sound just fine to me why not save the time? For example, since I place more importance on speed than on saving disk space, creating a 256kbps GoGo file in 1 minute is more satisfactory, and quite possibly sounds better, than taking 3 minutes to create a 128kbps file with Lame.

The reason I'm less than thrilled with the GoGo GUI is that the settings are buried a couple of layers deep in the menus. Since I'm always doing different kinds of work with mp3 files, I'm constantly changing settings. That's why dMC would be an ideal front-end ... just right-click on a file (or files), verify or change the settings ... done. I don't know of any interface that's more straight forward. I also prefer the dbPowerAmp CD ripper over CDex, but the latter works OK and handles GoGo without any problems.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast gameplaya15143's Avatar

256kbps with lame -q 9 is probably faster, and it would probably sound fine

if you have a fast hard drive, and enough space, then setup gogo_8hz.exe with the generic cli plugin

or you could install windows 98se and have the dmc gogo codec work, the main problem here is windows xp and its horrible combatibility with older programs

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I think for now I'll stick with GoGo until un-tweaked Lame catches up in terms of speedy conversion to good quality files. When that happens I'll look forward to joining the community of dMC users. Best regards.