title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't get WinGOGO codec to work

Re: Can't get WinGOGO codec to work

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb
    Er you can! Any of the generic CLI codecs work in the same way as those from codec central.
    Oh! I see what you mean now. :o

Well, I just tried it with the command line you suggested, but it took several minutes to convert an hour file (vs. one minute with gogo's .dll and native gui.) Also the file length is slightly off -- about 7 seconds too long.

I suspect that dMC may be creating some sort of temporary file in the conversion process because the file doesn't appear until it's done. It reports that conversion will take 6 minutes but ends suddenly about half way through with a complete file.

So I guess this isn't the answer :( but many thanks for the suggestion.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Snddes
    Oh! I see what you mean now. :o

Well, I just tried it with the command line you suggested, but it took several minutes to convert an hour file (vs. one minute with gogo's .dll and native gui.) Also the file length is slightly off -- about 7 seconds too long.
    Not sure why that is. It didn't take more than five minutes to rip and convert a CD on my PC. Oh well I am out of ideas now.

So what happens next? I'm new to this group. Does Spoon comment on stuff like this, or might a fix magically appear in v12? :smile2:

dBpoweramp Enthusiast gameplaya15143's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snddes
    Nope. :( Just tried it on an old W98SE machine.
    i just tried it on my computer here (I just booted into win98se) and it worked perfecty fine, only encoded at 13x though. v2.39c (2.3.9.2 dll version)

running dmc in compatibility for win98 doesn't work either.. stupid winblows xp, yet another reason it sucks :vmad:

just use lame... the versions before 3.94 are faster

So what happens next?
    Well it is pretty much up to Spoon to decide whether to fix/update this codec, drop it altogether, or whatever. While Spoon is aware of the situation, you could post a request for a codec update for GoGo in the Wishlist section of the forum. This might allow other users with the same wish to add their voices to your request. But this will not guarantee that an updated GoGo codec for dMC will appear any more quickly or slowly than not posting to the wishlist. But it might help, especially as GoGo seems to not be getting the same degree of attention as to updating and improving it as some other codecs (like Lame and ogg Vorbis for instance).

Of course, we do have some other people who have contributed codecs for dMC and perhaps one of them might also take notice.

Or not.

You never know.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Administrator

Gogo was created to speed up lame (by writing parts in machine code), it is very flakey to say the least with different processors / windows versions.

We will be dropping it, as the new Lame 3.97 is almost the same encoding speed and is actively developed.

Writing parts of it in Machine code? Dear heavens that's a lot of time spent on code. No WONDER they quit developing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    Gogo was created to speed up lame (by writing parts in machine code), it is very flakey to say the least with different processors / windows versions.

We will be dropping it, as the new Lame 3.97 is almost the same encoding speed and is actively developed.
    Spoon,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Is 3.97 the versions currently integrated into dMC? If so, why the *huge* discrepancy between the speed I get with gogo? I can convert a 1 hour stereo wav file to 128 stereo mp3 in 58 seconds with gogo ... the same thing takes 4 or 5 minutes with dMC. That's nowhere near the same encoding speed! If I set Lame to the lowest quality level, it still takes longer than gogo and sounds horrible. What am I missing?

I apologize for being a nuisance but I really don't understand what's going on with this.

Thanks

dMC currently uses LAME 3.96.1 I believe dMC r12 is using LAME 3.97 or will later.

So far, the dMC r12 alpha 2 is registering the Lame version as 3.96r.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Well I just downloaded and tested the 3.97 beta.

An hour-long file takes more than 5 minutes to convert using dMC's default setting. The "Fast Standard" preset gets it done in about 4 minutes.

So my question still is, how does WinGoGo create an equivalent sounding file in 1 minute? It seems that Lame *should* be able to do the same, but damned if I can figure out how.

I'd be thrilled to leave WinGoGo behind and move on to a codec that's still being developed and supported ... but, from what I can tell, the performance isn't even close.

Administrator

On my testing of Lame 3.97 I get x17 to x20 encoding speed on a AMD 64 2800+, 3 mins to convert 1 hour of audio.

My machine is a P4 2.40GHz, but even 3 minutes seems long compared with what I'm used to. If I could hear a difference (as is definitely the case with other fast codecs) I wouldn't mind the extra processing time ... but I can't. Has anyone else done a Lame vs. GoGo quality comparison? I'm still baffled.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast gameplaya15143's Avatar

gogo does have remarkable quality for its speed.. but overall, lame is better

I do wonder... how often do you convert 1hr files? if it's not much, you might as well just use gogo's gui or whatever

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I cannot understand people wanting speed this speed or speed that - 3 minutes seems long? Slow down or is your house on fire!

Seriously though lame is the better bet and the settings have not been quality tuned for nothing - something that gogo lacks especially as I said earlier it was last updated in 2004.