title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting mp3 to ogg, one at a time??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trimakassi
    • Feb 2006

Converting mp3 to ogg, one at a time??

Hi all,

I'm a new user to this forum and just installed the dMC trial. Here's my problem: When I try to convert e.g. 10 mp3's to (64kb) ogg, I get the famous error message "Music Converter.exe has encountered a problem...We are sorry blabla" and I'm left with about 6 ogg's... :( But when I encode my mp3's one by one there's no problem, so I could go on for hours...not. I have about 10GB mp3's and would like to convert them to ogg, and if this trial would do the trick I'd like to buy the program. But this is rather frustrating...Help anyone please?
    Btw: I'm running WinXP SP2 on a 2.2Ghz AMD and 512Mb mem.

Edit: Alright, this is really bad... :vmad: I just tried converting only four mp3's to ogg and my pc suddenly froze on me...no ctrl+alt+del, nothing. Had to reset my pc with mem-stick still in usb beeing busy...Damnit, never had to reset my pc for months...
    Last edited by trimakassi; 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting mp3 to ogg, one at a time??

Some ideas:
    First, set your conversion priority (which is set in the same window that displays the progress of your conversion) to Below Normal. This should help avoid any problem with your system trying to handle too much at once. And no, it shouldn't be appreciably slower-will quite possibly be quicker.

Second, which Ogg Vorbis codec are you using for encoding? The regular ogg vorbis codec will be slowest but least intrusive on system resources. The aoTuV beta 4 codecs (without and with SSE 2) will be faster but place more demands on your system. You might want to try the regular one if you have been using the aoTuV b4 codecs.

Third, although its an extra step, you may find more success in converting groups of mp3 files to standard wave format and then converting the wave files to ogg vorbis.

I would try these ideas in this order. Let us know what you try and what your results are.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• trimakassi
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for your help, I'll try it out.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Your PC may also be overheating. Does your computer lock up or crash when your doing other strenous things, such as playing games or ripping a CD?

Comment

• JoeRip
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Dec 2004

Hard locks are rare on Windows XP anymore. Generally it's a sign of hardware failure - chips overheating (as mentioned), or memory failure (memory has gone bad, memory is not seated correctly, etc).

Comment

• trimakassi
            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LtData
            Your PC may also be overheating. Does your computer lock up or crash when your doing other strenous things, such as playing games or ripping a CD?
            That's the thing, I'm not doing anything else. Just running dMC and having a nice view at my desktop background...

Originally posted by xoas
            Some ideas:
            First, set your conversion priority (which is set in the same window that displays the progress of your conversion) to Below Normal. This should help avoid any problem with your system trying to handle too much at once. And no, it shouldn't be appreciably slower-will quite possibly be quicker.

Second, which Ogg Vorbis codec are you using for encoding? The regular ogg vorbis codec will be slowest but least intrusive on system resources. The aoTuV beta 4 codecs (without and with SSE 2) will be faster but place more demands on your system. You might want to try the regular one if you have been using the aoTuV b4 codecs.

Third, although its an extra step, you may find more success in converting groups of mp3 files to standard wave format and then converting the wave files to ogg vorbis.

I would try these ideas in this order. Let us know what you try and what your results are.

Best wishes,
            Bill
            1) There is no option conversion priority. Maybe because I'm using a trial? (currently using release 11.5)

2) I'm using the regular one "Release 13 (Using Ogg Vorbis v1.1.1)" as it states on top of this page. But I'll give aoTuV b4 a go.

3) This is quite cumbersome, because I don't have enough space left on my HDD. But I'll give it a try

Update: Wow, this is strange. I now used the aoTuV b4 codec and was able to convert 60 mp3's directly to ogg without any problems. I thought this codec would make things more difficult, but it didn't.
            Thanks for all your help :smile2: and I now know what conversion program to buy next
            Last edited by trimakassi; 02-02-2006, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

My comment was asking if you had problems when you were doing other activities at a different time, not at the same time as conversion.

Anyway, I'm glad you found a working Ogg Vorbis encoder. Just remember that you have to have the normal Ogg Vorbis codec installed so that your tags are transferred to your new Ogg files.

Comment

• trimakassi
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LtData
                My comment was asking if you had problems when you were doing other activities at a different time, not at the same time as conversion.
                Oh ok, didn't got that, but no, no problems there. My pc always ran smoothly.

Anyway, I'm glad you found a working Ogg Vorbis encoder. Just remember that you have to have the normal Ogg Vorbis codec installed so that your tags are transferred to your new Ogg files.
                Just noticed... :blush: Anyway this n00b learned alot today...
                Thanks for your support.
                Last edited by trimakassi; 02-02-2006, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

There is no option conversion priority. Maybe because I'm using a trial? (currently using release 11.5)
                  There is a window (a small window) that displays the progress of converting a single file. If you are converting multiple files, there is another (also small)window that displays the progress for converting the batch of files. You want the first window. (for the progress of a single file). Below and to the left of the bar displaying the conversion process is the title Conversion Priority (or some such, I am having to go from memory here) and it will read Normal, Above Normal, Below Normal. There is a menu to reset the priority. Once you reset the priority, the conversion priority will stay at that setting for new conversions unless you change it again.

And this is available as long as you have an active trial version of the Power Pack or a registered version of the Power Pack. If you have an active trial version of the Power Pack and you do not see this option where I desccribed it, please let us know.

Best wishes,
                  Bill

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

>My pc always ran smoothly.

Other programs do not load the cpu at 100% usage for perhaps an hour at a time, dMC does to convert and any weak system will overheat.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>