title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: .idx files?

.idx files?

I don't remember why I did it, but at some point in time I ripped some cd's using Windows Media Player. I remember thinking that they turned out pretty enough until I found thousands of .idx files in my Music folder. Well, 1,294 .idx files, 2 .dbx files and a .dat file. Most of them are 1 KB, but wtf?

Will anything happen to make me unhappy if I delete these files? (Losing tunes counts.) What if I stuff them into their own little under-the-rug folder so I don't have to look at them? Are there any other petty grievances about WMP that I should browse around and find so I don't trip on them another day?

I hope it's OK to ask here. I can't find any function or purpose to them by searching online, and I'm pretty sure that one of you Friendly SuperTechs would know and explain it for me.

Thanks so Much!

Daasie

dBpoweramp Enthusiast gameplaya15143's Avatar

Re: .idx files?

its things like that which make me very glad i removed wmplayer from my system :smile2:

i say delete the junk and see what happens (use the recycle bin so you can put them back if all h311 breaks loose)

Sounds like they are part of some database. Are you using WMP's music library stuff? it's similar to dB's My Music Collection I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristinaS
    Sounds like they are part of some database. Are you using WMP's music library stuff? it's similar to dB's My Music Collection I'd think.
    No, I don't use WMP except for clips at Amazon etc., because I haven't looked for how to play them through dap. I don't think I can delete WMP altogether because I do use the Media Center for recording TV. WMP's library uses Window's folder structure - I haven't studied it, but I don't see a way to list all songs and select multiple entries as I can in MMC. I consider it to be much more cumbersome and rigid. It will, however, take me to a handy dandy online store where I can purchase additional tunes. As if...

Media Center's music library is 'WAY different than MMC, in that it's stupid and I won't use it. Displaying all songs, only a handful are displayed at a time, requiring an incredibly tiresome scroll down process. If I search by song title, e.g. "Illusions," I get 7 entries, but the only additional info I get is that they're songs. I have to click on each entry to find the version by artist, album or rating. I swear, if I had any more video, I'd find another app for that, too, just out of annoyance.

One thing that Media Center will do is display the album art for some songs. Presumably, these would be the songs for which I have .idx files, since they all seem to be the ones ripped with WMP. But art also shows for .mp3 files that I've plucked off odd spots of the internet, which argues for it being embedded in the file. But, it's just as often the wrong art - I have no explanation for this phenomenon. gameplaya15143 echoes my thought to put them somewhere - I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Daasie

Pssst...don't tell my kids I used the s-t word...

dbx files I am pretty sure they are for the music library (collection), and posibly the others also... media player (more or less) automatically adds those songs you ripped to the collection... idx could be extra data for songs (I know for my Hendrix album it dug up all the song writers etc..). Try removing some songs from the library and see if the file count reduces (of the idx files)