title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: AIFF question from newbie

AIFF question from newbie

Ive looked around this forum and couldnt find anything about apple's lossless AIFF format- I just bought a mac and i am starting to put my entire music collection on itunes and plan to store it on DVD and get rid of the music collection in a bid to simplify my surroundings. The thing is, i want to be sure to select a format like AIFF that is lossless st preserve sound quality and ensure that i dont lose my collection down the road by picking a dead-ender format that i wont be able to successfully re-format as time passes or as needed. Also i know next to nothing about parameters to set in Itunes for a high quality musical result

Re: AIFF question from newbie

AIFF is Apple's version of .wave. So unless Apple totally revises its operating system it will not toss out AIFF.

I believe that you do have a better option for storing music at the highest quality on a Mac system. That is to use the Apple Lossless codec. As the name implies, this codec sill preserve all of your audio and it will do so in somewhere around half to one third of the file size as AIFF would take to store the same track(s).

There are other lossless codecs around but I am completely in the dark as to whether any of those are Mac compatible.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Re: AIFF question from newbie

If you want lossless, I recommend Apple's Lossless format. iTunes can encode to it and its more compressed that AIFF is, and dMC can encode to ALAC using the iTunes encoder codec.