title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to media in WMP

Connecting to media

Hi,

Sorry if I'm not in the right forum. My question is: does any one know how to get rid of that problem of Windows Media Player that says "Connecting to media" when you try to watch a streaming video/audio? I looked everywhere on the internet. No forum has the solution. Even Microsoft knows about that, but they never tried to help people to fix that. I think this problem has no cure right now. I updated, installed and resintalled everything, but still doesn't work. I'm not the only one, but thousands of people.

Thanks a lot for you help

Re: Connecting to media

Well, this is WMP's way of informing you that it takes some time to actually connect to the server where the video is located. The only way not to see that is to download the video itself (not the meta file) and store it on your pc and then watch it directly.

The "Connecting to media" message is better than seeing a blank screen until such time as the file starts streaming - which might never happen if the server is busy.

But you can change the skin and several skins don't display those messages.

Thanks for you answers. But the problem is that is keeps saying "Connecting to media" and it lasts for ever. If I let it for 24 hours, it would do the same thing. Thousands of people have this problem and Microsoft doesn't want to do anything to fix that.

I can't download the video ai want to watch, because it is a live streaming.

Thanks s lot

What exactly do you want WMP to do in this situation?

The message occurs because WMP is trying to gain a connection so that it can download the live stream and for some reason (too many other people are doing the same or the server is busy) it is having problems.

Wayne

There is only one thing I want WMP to do in this situation, is to play online streaming videos and audio. It's not a question of too many other people are doing the same or the server is busy. It's a problem within WMP.

If WMP cannot connect to the server, despite your having used the proper settings, then there's nothing else you can do.

I tried all the settings. No chance. The only solution is to format the HD and reinstall the whole system. This problem has been posted many times in Microsoft forums. They know about that. Why don't they fix it!!

I've never had any problems connecting to streaming media in WMP except when the server I'm trying to connect to has been busy.

What version of WMP and Windows are you using? Do you have the same problems with Quicktime streams?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan
    I tried all the settings. No chance. The only solution is to format the HD and reinstall the whole system. This problem has been posted many times in Microsoft forums. They know about that. Why don't they fix it!!
    Have you looked at Proxy connections for instance? At Allow WMP to connect to the internet, etc?

Why don't you post the link here so we can see if it's accessible or not?

Actually I'll move thsi thread to Spoon's Forum, not a dB issue.

Re: Connecting to media in WMP

Yes, I allowed WMP to connect to the internet. There is not a specific link. I tried all the links to all streaming videos. The version of WMP I have is 10 with WIndows XP PRO SP2.

If I try to watch videos for Quicktime and Real Player, I have no problem. These 2 programs work perfectly. But whem it comes to WMP, it only says "Connecting to media" and it lasts for ever.

You must have a firewall or proxy settings that are blocking WMP's access to the net.

No, it's not a problem of firewall of proxy. I use no proxy and WMP is allowed in the firewall. It's just a problem of WMP.

Can you supply us with links to examples of those you are having problems with?

Wayne

Hi,

Now WMP works perfectly AFTER I reinstalled the whole system. Thanks a lot for your help.