title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dryden
    • Jan 2005

Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Oh...Woops...
    Im terribly sorry for my ignorance. I never noticed that thing before. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dryden; 03-12-2006, 09:46 PM.

Comment

• volvoguy
      • Nov 2004

Just a quick curiosity. With the exception of broken popups in Explorer, is it possible to have the stable and alpha dMC installed on the same system (in different directories of course)?

I'm looking forward to a new release. This app is one of the first I install after a reformat (gotta love Windows), and I consider it one of the most useful - and I'm a graphic designer with $2000 worth of Adobe/Corel/Macromedia products. Keep up the good work!

Aaron

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. I have the R12 alpha 2 installed over dMC R11.5. All of the R11.5 features work fine except for the Pop-Up Info for all files that are not wave or .mp3. Configuration for the R12 alpha is located in a different location than the dMC Configuration.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• volvoguy
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by xoas
          I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. I have the R12 alpha 2 installed over dMC R11.5. All of the R11.5 features work fine except for the Pop-Up Info for all files that are not wave or .mp3. Configuration for the R12 alpha is located in a different location than the dMC Configuration.
          Hmm... I think you answered my question. I guess I wanted to know whether both versions could be installed so that if R12 fails miserably on something, I can still get the task done with R11.5. I suppose for alpha stage software I should really have it installed on a secondary machine to be completely safe.

When you say that the configuration for R12 is in a different location, I assume that means that each version can be used independently from the other (which is what I'd like to be able to do until at least the beta stage).

Thanks.

Aaron

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

R12 takes over R11.5, the next release (perhaps next week...) will give a full converter (with the expense of stopping CD Input + Aux Input + File Selector + Sveta from working). That is why it is still an Alpha (although perhaps as stable as r11.5), it is not functional to be working (unless al you work in is Wave and Mp3...)
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

When you say that the configuration for R12 is in a different location, I assume that means that each version can be used independently from the other (which is what I'd like to be able to do until at least the beta stage).
              From the standpoint of the your interface with the program, R11.5 and the R12 alpha function as a single program. I was merely trying to explain that the current R12 alpha 2 release has certain settings that are controlled through a different configuration window than R11.5 uses. I have not tried to experiment with trying to figure whether areas where settings overlap between R11.5 and R12 whether the R12 configuration settings over-ride R11.5 settings for parts that are distinctly R11.5 (such as the Audio CD Input, file selector, and Auxilary Input interfaces, or tagging for files other than wave or .mp3) or whether changing a setting in the dMC R11.5 Configuration will automatically change the same setting in R12 Configuration, or what. But for right now, these are essentially a single program which features some advanced tagging features for wave and .mp3 files and true gapless .mp3 encoding at the cost of losing Pop-Up Tag Info for formats other than .mp3 and .wave.

Based on Spoon's comment above, it looks like the next R12 alpha release will more seriously interfere with R11.5 except for wave and .mp3 files. I suspect that this will create more inconvenience for R12 alpha users who use other file formats (Monkeys, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis,...). In the fullness of time this situation will self-correct as other codecs are updated for the R12 version.

We will need to see what the new changes in the R12 alpha will provide and the degree of obstacle that it will provide if you want to be able to use other file formats as well.

Best wishes,
              Bill

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

just installed the alpha release but my config still says dmc 11.5. is this right?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Are you using the right config? Apparently, according to xoas, there is a different location for dMC Configuration

Comment

• Razgo
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

yes i saw that also. buggered if i know hwere it is then :(

/edit

i might wait until beta anyway as there doesn't seem any point to the alpha unless Spoon wants something in particular tested before it goes beta?
                    Last edited by Spoons; 03-28-2006, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

just installed the alpha release but my config still says dmc 11.5. is this right?
                      Yes, this is right.
                      The R12 Alpha 2 configuration screen can be found as dBpowerAMP Configuration. You can find this through Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Configuration. This does not actually identify installation of the R12 Alpha or the alpha version #. It does contain controls for tagging options, Pop-Up Info Tips, Professional Frequency Conversion, and custom column display in Windows Explorer. The Lame encoder has some improvements including gapless encoding. R12 Alpha also generates tag information for wave files.

While all other codecs still work as per R11.5, you do lose Pop-Up Info Tips with R12 alpha except for wave and .mp3. As new R12 Alpha releases come along, it looks like they will take over more and more of R11.5. Whether this will create additional inconvenience for users or not or whether the new features are/will be worth the inconvenience is for each user to decide.

Best wishes,
                      Bill

Comment

• Razgo
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

ok, thanks.

no inconvenience if we don't use the alpha version :D

i havent read anywhere that spoon has requested specific user tests, so i figured the alpha releases are for those that MUST have it NOW! :D

Comment

• Bill41
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Nov 2004

Hi Spoon

I've been trying out R12 Alpha3 and have been very impressed by it. One problem I ran across was that it still will not decode some free format files while the Mad 0.15.2b decoder has no problems with them. The popup tags offer no clues. When viewing the songs with winLame, the songs with less than 384 kbps are the ones that dmc seems to have problems reading. I have no idea what this means but I thought I'd throw it out there. :smile2: Keep up the good work.
                          Bill

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Just my ignorance, I thought there were no real freeformat under 384kbps, there is special code that is run to detect freeformat above those bitrates, I will have to look again at lower bitrates (but really don't want to do anything that arses the new mp3 reader).
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Bill41
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Nov 2004

Since I don't have any freeformat files over 384 kbps I wouldn't know and since the popup tags didn't give a clue as to which files dmc would and would not read I noticed in the winLame frontend that all the files that showed to be less than 384 kbps were the ones that dmc would not read and the ones that show 384 kbps were the ones that dmc did read. I was not trying to show my vast knowledge of the subject because I have none. The popup tags do show bit rates of less than 384 and it reads some and others it does not.
                              Bill
                              Last edited by Bill41; 04-22-2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• good_reason
                                • Aug 2004

OS: winxpsp2 Pro Eng ( system locale: Chinese Simplified) + Surrogate support

hi,
                                I just take a glace at v12 alpha3 , seems that it is really with Full Unicode support.
                                The Pop-up Info can show the (either unicode or ANSI) Chinese TAG in MP3 files correctly.
                                Futhermore, i can write the Chinese TAG correctly with ID-TAG properties.

The only bug i found is:
                                If i convert a tagged mp3 to wave, the Chinese tags which written in to the WAVE file is truncated.

now, i will back to v11.5 immediately, coz i need wave files that WITHOUT any TAG :D

with best regards,
                                good_reason

Comment

Working...

]]>