title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

All R12 discussions can be made here.

Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Looks promising. I was surprised to find that tracks converted to mp3 Lame some time ago are misattributed to FhG (although this is also labelled as a "(Guess)"). This is surprising but it does not bug me. I hope that the use of "(Guess)" might help some users develop a better appreciation of this.

I was also surprised to find that some tracks recorded from LP seem to have developed quite a bit of tag information from somewhere (like Publisher and Composer). Any idea where this information may have from?

One other question: I note that several tags now display a field labelled length which does not appear to reflect either playing time or file size. Do you know what this refers to?

Mp3 tracks ripped with the new codec are listed as being gapless. Is this so (I ask because Spoon indicated that this would not really be functional until alpha 2).

For those on the fence about trying out the alpha, it seems (knock on wood) stable in my limited experience with it. It does not appear to inhibit the overall functionality of dMC for other uses except for blocking the Pop-Up Tag information (and Windows Explorer) displays for formats other than mp3 and wave. dAP does not appear to be inhibited in any way, although tags in dAP are less extensive than those in the Pop-Up info for Windows/dMC. I have not yet tried messing with dCW.

I'll share other questions/feedback as I experiment further.

Best wishes,
    Bi

Administrator

> (like Publisher and Composer).

If they have propper values then they must have come from somewhere, perhaps WMP filled them in?

>I note that several tags now display a field labelled length which does not appear to reflect

Give an example please, this is for mp3?

>Is this so

If a track is gapless then it is gapless (even if the program is not able to make use of it, see alpha 2).

Anyhow Alpha 2 is out now, to make full use of the improved mp3 codec.

Is the new version going to have the ability to read and create cue sheets for audio files?

Administrator

Yes it will do.

Great. Thanks.
    One last question. I already kinda asked this in a different part of the forum and a moderator answered me, but he wasn't exacly sure about the details. So, I figure I should ask "Da Man" himself.
    What kind of multi-channel (more than two) functionality will the new dMC have?
    In other words, will it have the ability to rip DVD audio?

Thanks again

Talking Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by xoas
    Looks promising. I was surprised to find that tracks converted to mp3 Lame some time ago are misattributed to FhG (although this is also labelled as a "(Guess)"). This is surprising but it does not bug me. I hope that the use of "(Guess)" might help some users develop a better appreciation of this.
    this has bugged me for some time lol. ive always used dmc-r10 to get around it because only in that version the encoder and type is properly displayed i believe for mp3 files. i was hoping it would be fixed in this new version. it bugs me that most of the files are fhg or Guess based. i like to see what encoder it is because to me Lame is the best one and sounds better than the rest.

ive also wondered what is causing this "bug" if you will. is there some code change that caused it? different way the program tries to read the file info to get the encoder info or something? and most importantly, when will it be fixed, if at all?

btw good work so far, looks good. i hope it will be windows vista ready :D

Administrator

In early lame versions the lame tag was not written, that is the best way of identifying if the file came from lame. Older versions uses to scan huge chunks of mp3 files and search for Lame (older lame uses to write blank mp3 frames with the name lame) that had a big performance hit on reading the files attribs so is not in current.

dBpoweramp Guru

Just wondering when replaygain (album and track) scanning will be added to the ripper?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    In early lame versions the lame tag was not written, that is the best way of identifying if the file came from lame. Older versions uses to scan huge chunks of mp3 files and search for Lame (older lame uses to write blank mp3 frames with the name lame) that had a big performance hit on reading the files attribs so is not in current.
    where is the performance hit at? i mean i dont notice it. you must have to have a slow computer because most people today have pretty fast computers :D

id rather have accuracy over performance myself. who all is with me? maybe we can convince spoon to change it :D

or how about at least enable the option to choose which way you want it to read the encoder info, the older "slower" way or the new way. i think that would be a very nice option.
    Last edited by sk11vengeance; 08-27-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Administrator

Replay gain will appear when DSP effects are implemented, couple of months.

OS: winxpsp2 Pro Eng ( system locale: Chinese Simplified) + Surrogate support

hi,
    I just take a glace at v12 alpha3 , seems that it is really with Full Unicode support.
    The Pop-up Info can show the (either unicode or ANSI) Chinese TAG in MP3 files correctly.
    Futhermore, i can write the Chinese TAG correctly with ID-TAG properties.

The only bug i found is:
    If i convert a tagged mp3 to wave, the Chinese tags which written in to the WAVE file is truncated.

now, i will back to v11.5 immediately, coz i need wave files that WITHOUT any TAG :D

with best regards,
    good_reason

Administrator

or you can switch off wave tagging in R12.

dBpoweramp Guru

Any updates? Based on the post on HA I was hoping to see an alpha of the CD ripper soon.

See here for Spoon's Development diary, including what he is currently working on: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=9480

From the post, Spoon is hard at work on the CD ripper. It is taking longer than normal due to him revamping the ripping and making it Secure or, in his words, better than EAC at getting the audio off if it is possible.