title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Administrator

Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

All R12 discussions can be made here.

Re: Discussion of dMC R12 Alpha

Looks promising. I was surprised to find that tracks converted to mp3 Lame some time ago are misattributed to FhG (although this is also labelled as a "(Guess)"). This is surprising but it does not bug me. I hope that the use of "(Guess)" might help some users develop a better appreciation of this.

I was also surprised to find that some tracks recorded from LP seem to have developed quite a bit of tag information from somewhere (like Publisher and Composer). Any idea where this information may have from?

One other question: I note that several tags now display a field labelled length which does not appear to reflect either playing time or file size. Do you know what this refers to?

Mp3 tracks ripped with the new codec are listed as being gapless. Is this so (I ask because Spoon indicated that this would not really be functional until alpha 2).

For those on the fence about trying out the alpha, it seems (knock on wood) stable in my limited experience with it. It does not appear to inhibit the overall functionality of dMC for other uses except for blocking the Pop-Up Tag information (and Windows Explorer) displays for formats other than mp3 and wave. dAP does not appear to be inhibited in any way, although tags in dAP are less extensive than those in the Pop-Up info for Windows/dMC. I have not yet tried messing with dCW.

I'll share other questions/feedback as I experiment further.

Best wishes,
    Bi

Administrator

> (like Publisher and Composer).

If they have propper values then they must have come from somewhere, perhaps WMP filled them in?

>I note that several tags now display a field labelled length which does not appear to reflect

Give an example please, this is for mp3?

>Is this so

If a track is gapless then it is gapless (even if the program is not able to make use of it, see alpha 2).

Anyhow Alpha 2 is out now, to make full use of the improved mp3 codec.

Is the new version going to have the ability to read and create cue sheets for audio files?

Administrator

Yes it will do.

Great. Thanks.
    One last question. I already kinda asked this in a different part of the forum and a moderator answered me, but he wasn't exacly sure about the details. So, I figure I should ask "Da Man" himself.
    What kind of multi-channel (more than two) functionality will the new dMC have?
    In other words, will it have the ability to rip DVD audio?

Thanks again

Administrator

The current dMC can handle multi-channel (ok might be some issues with directx), ripping dvd is a different kettle of fish (totally different program).

I rip the 2-channel DVD tracks from concert discs (LPCM/RAW -> FLAC). The 2-channel tracks are generally in 24-bit, 48 kHz format.

If you want to rip / convert Dolby Digital or DTS, this is where there is a problem. I found some info in a Slim Devices Forum Post on how to convert these files to playable formats, but Video Lan Client is the only player I know that plays DTS/DD files. If dMC could convert to multi-channel mp3 or WMA, that would be an amazing addition, but I understand the complexity.

Is it possible to support the IKEY Keywords tag of the RIFF INFO spec for wav files on the property sheet editor?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MrTeacup
    Is it possible to support the IKEY Keywords tag of the RIFF INFO spec for wav files on the property sheet editor?
    If you could send a small wave file with this to

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

Actually, it looks like the property editor already supports this. Creating a new ID tag and naming it 'Keywords' adds the IKEY tag to the wav.

Sorry about all of the multi-channel questions, but everything else associated with dMC has always worked perfectly with me.

So here is another:
    Will the dMC popups be able to show correct info regarding an audio file with more than 2 channels? I have some ac3 files that I know are 6 channels at 448 kb/s and dMC tells me it is just 2 channels.

Thanks again.

Right now I believe dMC is only multi-channel aware for WMA and WAV. I checked and AC3Filter does support multiple channels. It might also just be a limitation of the DirectShow Decoder DMC uses.

Will there be an option to encode files that are in seperate folders at the same time instead of having to encode each folder one at a time?
    I hope I explained it well enough...

You can do that now. Use the dMC File Selector located in the "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" folder under the Start Menu in programs.