title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do Iget results?

Re: How do Iget results?

On your XP machine, is your account an "Administrator" account or a limited-user account?

On your XP machine, is your account an "Administrator" account or a limited-user account?I have no idea.

Go to Control Panel and then click on "User Accounts" Under the name of your account, it will say either "Computer administrator" or "Limited Account" or possibly "Power User".

Go to Control Panel and then click on "User Accounts" Under the name of your account, it will say either "Computer administrator" or "Limited Account" or possibly "Power User".

It shows Computer Administrator

Did you install just dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) or dMC and the dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW)? (Note that instaling the CD Writer also installed dMC).

If you installed dCW, did you try reading the help files for it and not just the general dMC help files?

Did you install just dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) or dMC and the dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW)? (Note that instaling the CD Writer also installed dMC).

If you installed dCW, did you try reading the help files for it and not just the general dMC help files?

All the above are installed.
    I have read all HELP files.

Have you tried right-clicking on your desired files, selecting "Convert To" and then choosing "Audio CD"?

Have you tried right-clicking on your desired files, selecting "Convert To" and then choosing "Audio CD"?

Yes, same results as when I try to convert a file on my hard drive.

OK, what type of file are you trying to convert from and what type of file are you trying to convert to?

If you are not seeing file extensions you should enable them: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361

Unless the file you are converting from is a wav or mp3, you will need to have the proper decoding codec installed. Check out Codec Central to get all required codecs: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

If you are using dMC to convert files, you also have to have the encoding codec for the file type you are converting to. Note that CDA is not an audio file type. If you want to convert to .cda you have to use dCW to burn an audio cd.

If you are using dCW to burn audio cd's then you only have to worry about configuring dCW properly to find your cd burner drive.

I'm going to start with reviewing what we think we know:

You are trying to use dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) and dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW) to burn a CD from audio files on your computer. Your computer runs a Windows XP operating system. You are the primary user of this computer and always log-in on this computer in the same way (which involves having administrative priviledges). You have no problem with these programs on another computer running Windows 98. When you try to open dCW a blank window opens and nothing else happens.

If there is anything wrong with this description, please let us know.

You have further indicated that you get the same results if you right-click a file for your CD, select Convert To and select Audio CD. I do have a question about this. When you right-click a file and select Convert To and Audio CD you should have a little window open up showing the progress of the conversion and after the conversion is complete you should see the dCW Window open up. Do you see the conversion progress window or not? I assume that you do get to the blank dCW screen.

If this description of your problem seems to be accurate and complete, I am going to recommend that you try uninstalling and re-installing dCW only.

If this problem is still there after uninstalling and re-installing, I would like to ask you to open up dMC Configuration (Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Music Converter Configuration). On the first screen (the Versions Tab), what do you see for Version Information for dMC, for Power Pack and for dBpowerAMP CD Writer? If any are missing, please let us know. Otherwise, please provide the version information and and registration status (if given) for each (or you can select the Copy To Clipboard option at the bottom of the dMC Configuration screen and post it with your reply).

Hope the uninstall/reinstall procedure works. Please keep us posted.

Best wishes,
    Bill

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

If I were LimeyCliff one of the things I would do before proceeding any further would be to uninstall everything, then re-install all Illustrate programs (dMC, dBpowerAmp, etc.) while logged-on as "Administrator". Then try to run these programs while still logged-in as "Administrator".

This is just to remove any doubt whether something is not set up correctly in the user account (with administrative privileges) that Cliff is using, and also to remove any doubt if Illustrate programs install and run exactly the same while logged-in as "Administrator" versus user with administrative privileges.

This may not make any difference, but at this point it does not hurt to try.

Administrator

Nothing works on my XP machine except the conversion and that is not right as the converted file is much larger than the original.
    If you were to take one of the Wave files in c:\windows\media that come with windows and convert it to mp3, then it would possibly be bigger than the original, because the source files are already compressed. To answer your statement above you would have to say what you were converting from and to (settings of both).

I think there is much to recommend dbample's approach of uninstalling all Illustrate programs and re-installing. I am fairly convinced that the administrative rights is not the issue here. But there is a possibility that there is a problem with dMC (Music Converter) which may contribute to or be in addition to the problem with dCW (CD Writer). If there is a problem with dMC it would be better to correct that sooner rather than later and so uninstalling/re-installing these programs would facilitate that.

I'm willing to see what LimeyCliff tries and what he finds.

Best wishes,
    Bill

I unistalled, then reinstalled the program and the results are exactly the same.
    I created an audio in the mp3 format with a size of 2739 kb. When I converted the file using the 64 kbps setting the file was 4871 kb.
    Cliff

What is the frequency of the source file and what is the frequency of the output file?
    Maybe you can upload the source-file or a few screenshots, so they can see what you are trying to convert.