title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

mp3sugar.com is legal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delfin
    • Dec 2005

mp3sugar.com is legal?

Hello

SPAM
    Last edited by Spoons; 12-27-2005, 09:55 PM. Reason: SPAM
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: mp3sugar.com is legal?

Just tried it. DON'T GO THERE.

Tons of spyware, glad I have internet protection.

Comment

• EricMColvin@tel
      • Jun 2006

I expect it is legal, assuming you don't redistribute the songs you've downloaded. I'm guessing that the 10¢ it charges covers the royalties for a song (in Russia). But it's surely making its money - and a TON of money, at that - from said spyware. I registered yesterday (on a Macintosh - which, being a minority community, used to be relatively immune to viruses, pop ups, etc.). I didn't stick money in the account since what I was really after was info about songs, artists, etc. The account asked my name, e-mail address (I gave an old spam ridden one), and country. That evening, when I went back for more geeky song info, there was a gigantic banner offering me lonely ladies in my area. I live in a relatively remote rural area. This advert, however, had managed to trace three villages within nine miles of my home.

Clearly, MP3Sugar has details of my computer's IP address, and has managed to cross reference it - and/or my e-mail address - with other people's (probably Apple's) databases and extracted my postal address. This sort of activity is certainly NOT LEGAL. And I find it downright creepy.

I guess I must now attempt to clean out some of this spyware. Any suggestions, Mac users out there, for a good (cheap or free) product to do this?

Comment

• crm114
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by EricMColvin@tel
        I expect it is legal, assuming you don't redistribute the songs you've downloaded. I'm guessing that the 10¢ it charges covers the royalties for a song (in Russia). But it's surely making its money - and a TON of money, at that - from said spyware. I registered yesterday (on a Macintosh - which, being a minority community, used to be relatively immune to viruses, pop ups, etc.). I didn't stick money in the account since what I was really after was info about songs, artists, etc. The account asked my name, e-mail address (I gave an old spam ridden one), and country. That evening, when I went back for more geeky song info, there was a gigantic banner offering me lonely ladies in my area. I live in a relatively remote rural area. This advert, however, had managed to trace three villages within nine miles of my home.

Clearly, MP3Sugar has details of my computer's IP address, and has managed to cross reference it - and/or my e-mail address - with other people's (probably Apple's) databases and extracted my postal address. This sort of activity is certainly NOT LEGAL. And I find it downright creepy.

I guess I must now attempt to clean out some of this spyware. Any suggestions, Mac users out there, for a good (cheap or free) product to do this?
        wow i registered JUST to respond to that comment. in the interest of being kind i will refrain from calling you an ignorant moron. but u appear grossly misinformed. ur ip address is readily availble public information to every single website u visit. and every single site u vist records it and many cross referance it with a geolocation data base. any one can do it, its not illegal and not creepy. your leval of ignorance is what is creepy.

check it out for your self>>>>>>>>>>

see ur ip at
        Show My IP displays your IP address with additional information like the country, city, ISP, and user agent.

cross referance that at
        DNSstuff focuses on providing software reviews, troubleshooting advice, best practices for tools, and comprehensive lists of the top business software products available on the market.

and read more abt ip geolocation at http://www.dnsstuff.com/info/geolocation.htm

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Well there you are. A lesson to be learned. You are not totally incognito on the web, at least not unless you use multi-hop anonymizer proxies.

It is perfectly normal for any website you access to be able to collect basic information on its visitors. The server does it automatically, part of its own security measures of logging accesses, and there's nothing illegal about that, it's normal part of web functioning. The Ip address identifies a particular internet connection the way a telephone number identifies a user, through the ISP that the Ip address belongs to. Only the ISP can know the exact location of their customer who was using that IP at that moment, but general geo location information is available about the IP block to which that Ip belongs. The geo-location will include the city/region/country of the ISP's datacenter which may be very close or quite far to the user.

All that is public information. Not enough to really identify a user by anybody except by the ISP and then only under a court order for an investigation.

So don't worry about that.

Do worry about the spyware though and keep your firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware programs well armed.

Comment

Working...

]]>