title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DirectShow filter for '.rm' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shaav
    • Nov 2005

DirectShow filter for '.rm' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

I know this error has popped up more than a few times on the forums -- I promise I went through it all.

I am running XP SP2. I'm rebuilding after a harddrive crash (although I have not used poweramp's real converter before) so this system has not had anything else installed on it that might interfere -- not real player, not the old poweramp codec.

I installed poweramp
    I installed directx 9 (redundantly)
    I installed real alternative (1.45)
    I installed the direct show codec
    I configured the direct show codec
    I ran poweramp's configuration tool and verified that the extensions show up as being installed
    I have repeated the above several times and rebooted many times.
    I verified using DirectShow Filter Manager that RealMediaSplitter.ax is loaded (4 filters including "Real Audio Decoder"). I unregistered and reregistered it.
    I am trying to convert actual .rm's not metafiles.
    Real Alternative works fine, and the .rm's play, so they are not corrupt
    I also have the audible directshow filter installed with poweramp, and it works fine.
    "Convert to" is presented as a right-click option for .rm so poweramp is recognizing it...

I'm at a loss... any thoughts?

Shaav.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: DirectShow filter for '.rm' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt.

Try the test conversion first, to figure out if the problem is in reading the file or in converting it to something else.

See if you can find out the specs of that file: is it single audience or multiple audience?
    Bitrates? frequency? channels? I don't know if Media Player classic can even tell those.

Incidentally Windows Media Player 10 should be able to play this file too now that you have the directshow filters in place.

From my experience I have found that some real media files need the directshow filters specifically in order to convert them and will not be converted with the old Real Audio codec at all. Others will be just the opposite. Some may work either way.

The problem is that Real Player and Real Alternative are sort of mutually exclusive, so you cannot easily switch from on to another. If you need the old Real audio codec, then you must uninstall Real Alternative and the directshow filters and install the old real audio codec and Real Player and try again.

Comment

• Shaav
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      Try the test conversion first, to figure out if the problem is in reading the file or in converting it to something else.
      Yeah, did that too... gives the same error.

See if you can find out the specs of that file: is it single audience or multiple audience?
      Bitrates? frequency? channels? I don't know if Media Player classic can even tell those.
      I'm not sure what single vs. multiple audience is or how to find out...
      Can't find the bitrate, but it is 44100 Mono...

Incidentally Windows Media Player 10 should be able to play this file too now that you have the directshow filters in place.
      I had thought so too... but they won't.

From my experience I have found that some real media files need the directshow filters specifically in order to convert them and will not be converted with the old Real Audio codec at all. Others will be just the opposite. Some may work either way.

The problem is that Real Player and Real Alternative are sort of mutually exclusive, so you cannot easily switch from on to another. If you need the old Real audio codec, then you must uninstall Real Alternative and the directshow filters and install the old real audio codec and Real Player and try again.
      Sigh. :P It's disturbs me on a quite deep level that software no longer behaves in a predictable fashion.

Thanks.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Did you actually install the DirectShow codec for dBpowerAMP, from Codec Central, followed by the editing of the filter file to add .rm and .ra and running of dMC Configuration? Don't rely on DirectSHpw codecs from other applications, or filters you installed elsewhere. I think dMC needs its own versions installed to the same folder as anythign else about dBpowerAMP.

If the codec and filters are installed correctly, WMP 10 should play the file, not just Media Player Classic. Try to specifically open it with WMP 10.

Still, that won't help the problem at hand.

Comment

• Shaav
          • Nov 2005

Did you actually install the DirectShow codec for dBpowerAMP, from Codec Central, followed by the editing of the filter file to add .rm and .ra and running of dMC Configuration? Don't rely on DirectSHpw codecs from other applications, or filters you installed elsewhere. I think dMC needs its own versions installed to the same folder as anythign else about dBpowerAMP.
          Yep.

If the codec and filters are installed correctly, WMP 10 should play the file, not just Media Player Classic. Try to specifically open it with WMP 10.
          Yeah, still wouldn't work. It *did* however work with other real media videos, so I interpret that to mean that there's just something weird about the encoding of my files. :( So, I just gave up, uninstalled it all and installed the old codec. It worked fine. Slow of course, but c'est la vie.

Thanks for considering the problem.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

It's a real Media video file? Then very likely it has multi-audience encoding in it.

Real Player would tell you this, Media Player Classic doesn't.

Comment

Working...

]]>