title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Sveta and file listings

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrVideo
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2004

Sveta and file listings

On the left side of Sveta, is the list of files on the portable player. On the right side is the list of files on your computer.

How about an option that allows you to select that you want to list the files by file name or via ID tag of those files.

The problem is that many a time I correct ID tags, which of course doesn't end up changing the physical file name. I therefore do not see what I expect. This might be a little hard to explain.

Let's just say that I prefer to see the listing on the right equal to the listing that I see with dMC. At this point in time, they are not equal.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Sveta and file listings

How do you correct the tag information? On your player or via Sveta?

I suppose the only problem would be that Sveta would have to read the tag id information for all the files on your portable player everytime you connect to it.

Wayne

Comment

• MrVideo
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Wayne
      How do you correct the tag information? On your player or via Sveta?
      In dMC. I try and do corrections before ripping, but I've easily managed to miss things and have corrected them within dMC.

When Sveta is started, it only lists the songs on the hard drive by their file names, which is subject to error. I fully understand that by having Sveta read the ID tags from each file, it will take longer to display the file list, plus it has to build a table to know what file belongs to which song being displayed. That is why I am suggesting that it be an option.

When I rip songs, I copy them into a sub-directory that is strictly for downloading into the player, which means the number of songs that need to be displayed is a lot smaller.

I suppose the only problem would be that Sveta would have to read the tag id information for all the files on your portable player everytime you connect to it.
      I have the Creative Zen Micro and Sveta seems to get the directory listing that the Zen creates when files are down loaded into it. I've seen it make an error with some titles that I've corrected within dMC, that I corrected within Sveta.

Like I said, this is just a wish. It is a nice-to-have feature.

I have discovered that the 5GB Zen Micro just isn't big enough to hold the material I want. I use 256K for my sample rate. The spec of 64K is just plain stupid. I prefer the best quality at an optimal bit rate. 192K is borderline for my taste, so I use 256K. That means I only get 1/4th (approximately) the number of songs on the player than the spec. So, I'm thinking about getting the 40GB unit. A requirement is that it have a FM tuner. Not so much for around where I live, but for when I go to other cities (a couple a places a year because of work).

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

You can change the naems of your files to reflect the id tag fields, using the utility codec Arrange music.

Comment

• MrVideo
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          You can change the naems of your files to reflect the id tag fields, using the utility codec Arrange music.
          Thanks, downloaded it and installed it. It works, but not perfectly. For example, I have a bunch of songs by ABBA. Unfortunately I missed the fact that the person who entered the data for the discs the songs came from used ABBA on one CD and Abba on another. I changed all of the tags to ABBA. But, the codec failed to changed the name of the files with Abba to ABBA. Yes, it is nitpicking, but for true alphabetical sorting, ABBA != Abba.

I do not know how it is supposed to work with the dMC database files, but it also doesn't handle renamed files that end being named the same as existing file.

For example, I ended up with two files by the same artist. Same song, but one with the artist name as "Ace, Johnny" and the other as"Johnny Ace. The ID tags in both files are listed as "Ace, Johnny." There is now a single file, but dMC still thinks there are two files. When I started dMC after the conversion, it did not complain about the file no longer being there and doesn't complain when you double-click on the bad name.

Shouldn't the codec "fix" the dMC database for these situations?

Here is the worst part. For all of the files that were renamed, the dMC database was not corrected. I now have 710 missing files, which really are not missing.

I think there needs to be a little more coordination between this utility and dMC, so existing databases aren't messed up when the utility is run. There is no warning in the Help for this utility to inform the user that the dMC database will be out-of-sync with the actual files.

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

That's the dAP database or MMC that you are refering to. After correcting the tag information within MMC do you use the option to write the tag information back into the audio file. Once you have done this you could use MMC's own 'rearrange files' option to rename/organise the files according to the updated tag information.

Unfortunately you do have to ensure that all the tag information is correct or as you would like it to be before you do so.

Wayne

Comment

• MrVideo
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Wayne
              That's the dAP database or MMC that you are refering to. After correcting the tag information within MMC do you use the option to write the tag information back into the audio file. Once you have done this you could use MMC's own 'rearrange files' option to rename/organise the files according to the updated tag information.
              Now you tell me :( Sorry, but since there isn't a manual for dMC, I knew nothing about these dMC features. There isn't even a Help button to use. As far as I know, when a tag is edited, the particular file is update right away. That is what I have noticed. The MMC appears to be updated when dMC is terminated.

To get around the current database fowlup, I've deleted all of the entries and told dMC to import all of the files, since everything is in one place. It is still doing that, as I post this response.

Crap, I had to do it again. I had a sub-directory that it went into that had files there for transfer to the portable, resulting in 45 files being listed twice.

OK, I ran the arrange files within dMC and it too did not do what it was supposed to. I figured it wouldn't do it right, since the same core engine is used for dMC as well as the utility codec.

If I have ABBA in the tag, it should name the file with ABBA, not Abba.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

since there isn't a manual for dMC, I knew nothing about these dMC features. There isn't even a Help button to use.
                There actually are some very useful help files for the various features of various programs and there should be Help links for parts of these programs at most, if not all of the principal program windows. Anywhere you see a ? icon is a link to the help files for that part of the program. You can also access Help files by going Start>All Programs> either dBpowerAMP (for dBpowerAMP Audio Player Help) or dBpowerAMP Music Converter (for Music Converter and Sveta)> and then click on the topic or program section you want help for.

This help file does explain that the Arrange Music feature actually changes the storage of music on your drive not just the cataloging of information within MMC. This will mess up the libraries of any other players you use (just as relocating files on your hard drive after you have added them to MMC will mess up MMC's ability to use the tracks).

DMC and dAP are improving in their management of tags and file names but, as you have noted, sometimes the program relies on tag information, in other cases it may rely upon file name information, and the handling/coordination of alternate entries (both the Ace, Johnny/Johnny Ace and ABBA/Abba examples you discuss are illustrations of this) still needs further improvement. These programs have improved significantly in these areas over the past few years and so I am very hopeful that they will continue to improve in the future. (BTW-If you have added files to MMC, you are best advised to remove them from MMC before you try to edit file names).

I had a sub-directory that it went into that had files there for transfer to the portable, resulting in 45 files being listed twice.
                There are options to prevent this. If you need help locating these options, it would help me to know what method you are using to enter these files into MMC.

Hope this gives you some ideas to go on.

Best wishes,
                Bill

Comment

• MrVideo
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2004

Thanks for responding. Even though it may appear that all I do is complain about this or that, I am hopeful that what is discussed will help improve the program suite. The dBpowerAMP suite of programs are an excellent set of programs. I highly recommend them to others.

Originally posted by xoas
                  There actually are some very useful help files for the various features of various programs and there should be Help links for parts of these programs at most, if not all of the principal program windows. Anywhere you see a ? icon is a link to the help files for that part of the program. You can also access Help files by going Start>All Programs> either dBpowerAMP (for dBpowerAMP Audio Player Help) or dBpowerAMP Music Converter (for Music Converter and Sveta)> and then click on the topic or program section you want help for.
                  Here is where a suggestion comes into play. There should be a Help button on each of the programs. Having to go through Start Programs is just too inconvienent. This is the only suite of programs that I use that doesn't have a Help button, or a help menu.

This help file does explain that the Arrange Music feature actually changes the storage of music on your drive not just the cataloging of information within MMC. This will mess up the libraries of any other players you use (just as relocating files on your hard drive after you have added them to MMC will mess up MMC's ability to use the tracks).
                  Yep, I fully understand this. dAP is the only player that I use.

These programs have improved significantly in these areas over the past few years and so I am very hopeful that they will continue to improve in the future. (BTW-If you have added files to MMC, you are best advised to remove them from MMC before you try to edit file names).
                  I got into the programs late, since I didn't need anything until I finally got a portable player. Your point about removing the entries is well taken. On the other hand, if you edit the files and then have dMC look for missing files, then those marked files can then be removed and the directory reimported.

There are options to prevent this. If you need help locating these options, it would help me to know what method you are using to enter these files into MMC.
                  No need. This particular situation will probably not happen again. That subdirectory is normally empty.

Hope this gives you some ideas to go on.
                  Yes, thanks.

I have stumbled onto a minor bug. I don't know if this is on Spoon's list or not...

It involves dmc (Music Converter) -> dMC (Music Collection). I've decided to re-rip at 192K, from the previous 256K. BTW, I love that the converter knows all of the changes that I've done when I originally ripped, making re-ripping a lot easier. But, after the re-rip is done, dMC is updated with the old bitrate and file size. I don't know how to fix this one, other than removing all of the entries and re-reading the hard drive.

Comment

• xoas
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2002

Here is where a suggestion comes into play. There should be a Help button on each of the programs. Having to go through Start Programs is just too inconvienent. This is the only suite of programs that I use that doesn't have a Help button, or a help menu.
                    I think you are definitely onto something here. At present Auxilary Input, File Selector, Audio CD Input, dB CD Writer (dCW) and dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) have help buttons (the ? icon, in dMC this is the ? icon next to the red X button to close the program in the upper right hand corner of the window). However, dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player), MMC (My Music Collection) and Sveta Explorer do not. I agree that they would benefit from this feature.

dmc (Music Converter) -> dMC (Music Collection)
                    Not to be picky (after all, you have explained your abbreviations), you might be better off relying on the "standard" abbreviations of dMC (referring to dBpowerAMP Music Converter) and MMC (for My Music Collection). Not that I am sure we have anything in writing about this or that there is any other basis for you to know this.

BTW, I love that the converter knows all of the changes that I've done when I originally ripped, making re-ripping a lot easier. But, after the re-rip is done, dMC is updated with the old bitrate and file size. I don't know how to fix this one, other than removing all of the entries and re-reading the hard drive.
                    I haven't noticed this before. It may well be a bug. I'll let you know what I find.

Best wishes,
                    Bill

Comment

• MrVideo
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2004

I think you are definitely onto something here. At present Auxilary Input, File Selector, Audio CD Input, dB CD Writer (dCW) and dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) have help buttons (the ? icon, in dMC this is the ? icon next to the red X button to close the program in the upper right hand corner of the window). However, dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player), MMC (My Music Collection) and Sveta Explorer do not. I agree that they would benefit from this feature.
                      Thanks. I found the help button for dMC next to the Year entry box. Can a programmer actually place anything next to the minimize/full screen/close buttons in the window GUI?

Not to be picky (after all, you have explained your abbreviations), you might be better off relying on the "standard" abbreviations of dMC (referring to dBpowerAMP Music Converter) and MMC (for My Music Collection). Not that I am sure we have anything in writing about this or that there is any other basis for you to know this.
                      Other than someone telling me like you just did, thanks. I'll try and remember to use the right abbreviations.

I haven't noticed this before. It may well be a bug. I'll let you know what I find.
                      Not only did it get the bitrate and filesize wrong, if the re-rip replaced a cut from a different CD, the album listed is not from the new source, but from the old rip.

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

But, after the re-rip is done, dMC is updated with the old bitrate and file size. I don't know how to fix this one, other than removing all of the entries and re-reading the hard drive.
                        Well I confirmed that it works as you report. However, there is a tool for quickly remedying this situation. Select the file or files you re-ripped into MMC (right after ripping a batch they may all still be selected, if not-assuming you had MMC open when you re-ripped) I think they will all be gathered at the bottom). Right-click on these files, select Advanced, select Refresh From ID Tag. This will update the MMC information based on the tag information from the file (which was updated with the rip).

I'm not sure whether the situation of MMC not automatically updating to reflect tag changes is intentional or a bug or an oversight. If it falls in one of the latter categories, then I'm sure Spoon will get to it sooner or later.

I found the help button for dMC next to the Year entry box. Can a programmer actually place anything next to the minimize/full screen/close buttons in the window GUI?
                        I believe that the Help link you cite is for the Audio CD Input window. If you were to convert from existing files on your hard drive there is first a window that is titled "Select File(s) to Convert" which has a standard Windows ? icon next to the red X-this will just explain different parts of the active window. However, after you select your files to convert and click on Open, you come to window titled dBpowerAMP Music Converter. This also has a standard Windows ? icon next to the red X but this button will, if you click it and are patient, open the Help file for dMC.
                        Spoon has been working to make the Help files more accessible (I mention this-again-just to give you a sense of perspective and direction regarding these programs).

Best wishes,
                        Bill
                        Last edited by xoas; 11-26-2005, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• MrVideo
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2004

Right-click on these files, select Advanced, select Refresh From ID Tag.
                          Oh ya, I remember seeing that option. Thanks for reminding me about it.

[quote]If it falls in one of the latter categories, then I'm sure Spoon will get to it sooner or later.

I believe that the Help link you cite is for the Audio CD Input window.
                          Correct.

If you were to convert from existing files on your hard drive there is first a window that is titled "Select File(s) to Convert" which has a standard Windows ? icon next to the red X-this will just explain different parts of the active window. However, after you select your files to convert and click on Open, you come to window titled dBpowerAMP Music Converter. This also has a standard Windows ? icon next to the red X but this button will, if you click it and are patient, open the Help file for dMC.
                          I have to believe you are talking about the Windblows XP red X. I do not use XP. I am running the programs under W2K.

Spoon has been working to make the Help files more accessible (I mention this-again-just to give you a sense of perspective and direction regarding these programs).
                          Thanks, I appreciate the update.

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2002

I have to believe you are talking about the Windblows XP red X. I do not use XP. I am running the programs under W2K
                            Yes I am. I take it that you don't have the fancy red X in W2K.
                            See what you're missing out on?
                            You still do have the ? icon up there don't you?

Best wishes,
                            Bill

Comment

• MrVideo
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2004

Yes I am. I take it that you don't have the fancy red X in W2K.
                              Nope

See what you're missing out on?
                              Missing out on having XP make 100% of my video capture and editing software not work? Same goes for my DVD authoring package. Sure, Adobe has released new versions of their video software, for XP only. They abandoned all of us W2K users. Sorry, but I have stuff that cannot be upgraded (one software package maker was bought out by Apple and they shitcanned the software, because it competed with theirs). You can probably guess that I am not a fan of Bill Grates' software. I only use it because I have to. I'm a Unix guy, born and bred

You still do have the ? icon up there don't you?
                              Don't know, since I never convert files with it, only CDs.

Personally I think all packages should have a HELP button, not a ? button. As I've seen over the years, when you see the ? button, it means that it is a topical help thing, i.e., you click on it and then click on the area of the program's GUI you want help with.

Comment

Working...

]]>