title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't change MP3 encoding to variable bitrate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmfan
    • Nov 2004

Can't change MP3 encoding to variable bitrate

When I go to convert a CD or any file to MP3, I click the Advanced options to change to variable bitrate, but after I click ok, it's always stuck at constant bitrate. I tried the presets and it always reverts back to constant bitrate. Anybody know how to fix this?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Can't change MP3 encoding to variable bitrate

Are you sure its stuck at CBR? Don't you have two sliders after you select VBR?
    Make sure your using the latest version of dMC, dMC r11.5. Your version numbers are stored at Start Menu --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Maybe use No Preset, since various Presets disable the use of other settings.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Also, be aware that if you set to No Preset and VBR you may see on the bitrate/quality bar what appears to be a single slider. If it is set correctly you actually have two sliders superimposed on one another. Use the left-click of your mouse to set the slider for the lower level of your vbr setting. Use the right-click of your mouse to set the upper level of your vbr range.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• emmfan
          • Nov 2004

Ok, I tried setting No Preset and then selecting Variable Bitrate, then when I hit ok, it shows Constant Bitrate with only one slider. I tried the right-click and left-click but just moves around the constant bitrate single slider. I am using 11.5 registered version. Any ideas?

I thought about re-installing the MP3 Lame encoder but from what I could tell, it is build-into dbpoweramp's main install. I re-installed dbpoweramp and even tried the beta and still the same problem.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Are you not seeing something like this?

Comment

• emmfan
              • Nov 2004

Yes, except Encoding says: Constant Bitrate, and there is only one slider. Even after I select Advanced Options and change it to Variable Bitrate, after I hit Ok, it just reverts back to Encoding: Constant Bitrate.

Maybe I should try uninstalling and reinstalling dbpoweramp completely.

Comment

• emmfan
                • Nov 2004

I did a complete uninstall of dbpoweramp, restarted and reinstalled. Still the same problem :(. It encodes Monkey's Audio fine, but just won't let me select variable bitrate for MP3 Lame...is there another MP3 codec I should try, would that work? I've been using dbpoweramp for so long with MP3 Lame, don't know what else is out there. Kind of bummed that it's not working for me on this machine.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

When you click advanced, do you see this?

Then when you click OK, you get back to the other screen I posted before wher eyou have 2 sliders. They may well be side by side or one on top of the others but they are there. If you look carefully it should say Encoding Variable bitrate, and under that, right over the slider Min Bitrate and Max Bitrate. If the 2 sliders are one on top the other and to the right, the entire strip is green. If tehy are one on top of the other and fully to the left then it's all blue. Otherwise it's green on teh elft and blue on the right.

Comment

• emmfan
                    • Nov 2004

Yes, I see the Advanced Lame Options, where I select Variable Bitrate and No Preset. But when I hit Ok and go back to the Convert To box it shows the Encoding: Constant Bitrate with only one slider, I tried the right-clicka nd left-click on the slider bar to "separate" the sliders but there's only one.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Ok, now for what I don't think we asked: what OS do you have? What version of Windows Media Player? (no idea what that would explain, but let's try exploring).

And while we are at it, what version of Lame does it say in dMC Configuration that you're using?

I'm thinking maybe you have an old version of the mp3 encoder codec that doesn't know anyhting about VBR - if there's ever been such a version.

Comment

• xoas
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2002

I'm thinking maybe you have an old version of the mp3 encoder codec that doesn't know anyhting about VBR - if there's ever been such a version.
                        Emmfan has a registered version of dMC 11.5, so that's not an option.

...is there another MP3 codec I should try, would that work?
                        Yes. There are a number of alternate mp3 encoder codecs available at Codec Central, the most popular being Blade. Still Blade is considered, for most purposes, inferior to Lame. Might be worth seeing what would happen however.

I did a complete uninstall of dbpoweramp, restarted and reinstalled.
                        Did you follow the following directions for a "complete" uninstall discussed and described here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828 ? If not, you might want to give that a try.

Best wishes and keep us posted.
                        Bill

Comment

• emmfan
                          • Nov 2004

ChristinaS: I am running Windows XP Professional with Windows Media 10. The Lame version 3.96.1

xoas: like you said, I would prefer to get the Lame codec working rather than have to settle on a "lower" quality mp3 codec. I followed the directions for a "complete" uninstall, and then re-installed and still have the same problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, I sure hope we can figure this out.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Do you have all your latest Windows XP updates and patches? SP2?

Did you install everything to c:\Program Files \ Illustrate\dBpowerAMP - i.e. the default folder? While being logged in as an amdin? Ar eyou running logged in as admin?

Do you have any other isntance of dBpowerAMP components installed elsewhere on that pc?

Last suggestion: try to do a search on your pc for any files named lame*.*. See what comes up.

Comment

• xoas
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2002

A few other ideas:
                              Do you have the Lame.exe (CLI) codec (which allows command-line interface) installed? Have you used it? If so, you might want to try either erasing your settings for the CLI codec or removing that codec altogether. (I do have the CLI codec installed as well but I have not ever used it, I really don't think it should interfere with the standard Lame codec but it seems to be worth a shot.

If you select, instead of No Preset, one of the vbr presesets (like alt preset standard or alt preset extreme), will your window show/will your files convert to vbr?

If you go My Computer>Program Files>Illustrate>dBpowerAMP>Compression, do you have more than one sample of Mp3(Lame).dll? (If so, try saving version 6.4.0.0 and deleting the rest).

And, assuming nothing comes from the above, for diagnostic purposes, can you try another mp3 codec (such as Blade) and tell us if it will allow you to convert to vbr?

Best wishes,
                              Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>